Race #08, Canada: Post-Race Discussion

wow just wow :D this has been the best weekend in FSR ive commentated on :p well done to Bono and congratulations to Lee to get third on his return! :D see you all in silverstone i cant wait. great job :p

Everytime a fast driver start from back....my race finish at first lap. Please Mikko don't give a penalty anymore to these kind of drivers :) .....however congrats to Mikko for his great race with a better first stint he could win here.

"wow !! just wow !! fantastic result !! im over the moon !!

Q1 - went ok, did not hit best time of a 1.13.024 but a 1.13.4 was good enough for q2 just !

Q2 - had a reasonable lap in a session i expected to struggle in as its not my favorite part of the wekend, but p6 was great !!

Race - unbelievable, at first i expected to go backwards as our car was bad early on on full tanks, but i just took my time and waited till around lap 7 - 8 when i knew my car was better, then i turned up the wick after passing de wit i saw i was matching the leaders pretty much which suprised me...

Went on doing a staedy pace through the race and when i saw Huis and Mikkonen pit i thought they must be on 2 stops, i didnt expect to beat huis tried t race him for a while but realised it was pointless as he was quicker to just tagged onto him, i knewi could maybe beat mikkonen if i did it properly !! and wow i finish 3rd on the podium for the first time in 2 years !! fantastic !!

Big BIG thanks to my team and Ben Phillips who believed in me and made me take this race seat to prove to myself i can do this !! big thanyou Ben and to the rest of the AERO F1 TEAM who helped me in the week, great race with all, well done Huis and Mikko on a great race, fantastic !!"

thankyou mate im looking foreardto the broadcast :) bet you guys did an awesome job.. i heard some people who were watching me said they had issues with it buffering but will see for myself !

The Ward F1 guys tuned in to watch the broadcast, nice race Lee. Great commentary as ever! But half way through the race, the broadcast was un-watchable due to the stream dropping. One point Huis was a car length behind Morris, when the stream came back Huis was 5 car lengths in front. Real shame.

See you at Silverstone!

Andrew

Thats a shame, so its true what some of the people i knew watched had issues :( shame as its been great last few races ! bet they missed my dices and most others due to lagg, it still does seem more laggy than some sim races i take part in, i do what 3 leagues now and in the other 2 leagues the server does preform much better.. its like its just missing that top end or something but i dont know how it works.. i didnt have any issues racing tonight though just a tad bit of lagg

From GPCOS:

Q1: P3 with 13.265, solidly inside the top 10
Q2: P1 with 13.765, a very surprising result considering I knew the strategies of Bono & Jaakko beforehand.

Race:

Starting from pole was great, first time in WC but I had some experiences in the lower divisions in 2008 and 2009.

Unfortunately the joy didn't last very long, before the first 3 laps were complete, I was down to 4th. For sure this is one area in my driving which I should improve in case I find myself starting from pole in the future.

After falling to 4th, I pretty much knew that Bono would win the race, since he was able to build a good gap before his first stop.

I pushed as hard as possible, resulting in a few mistakes but I believe I did a good race regardless.

After Bono's 2nd pitstop he was 4 seconds behind me, closing very fast. Like I mentioned before, I didn't believe I could hold him up for the last ~20 laps. A few laps after catching me, he was ahead and after that it was just about cruising to the end.

Congrats to Bono and Lee for his return to the podium.

Thanks to all the kind words and support that I got after the race, hopefully the performance in this race wasn't a one-off :).

The Ward F1 guys tuned in to watch the broadcast, nice race Lee. Great commentary as ever! But half way through the race, the broadcast was un-watchable due to the stream dropping. One point Huis was a car length behind Morris, when the stream came back Huis was 5 car lengths in front. Real shame.

See you at Silverstone!

Andrew

Yes unfortunately the streaming wasn´t perfect tonight, we are in talks with PSRTV and we will work to make sure it doesn´t happen. However you can watch the broadcast replay here: http://prosimservers.com/index.php?dir=FSR/2011/WC/

@Lee, lagg and Streambuffering isn´t related ;) one thing happens through the gameserver other thing through the streamingservers. Seeing the close racing we had today I doubt however that the gameserver didn´t perform good and we had more then the normal amount of lag.

Tbh Johannes, the stream quality is far away from good. You cant watch the broadcast in full screen else you will just get pixel show on the screen. It would probably help to capture the action in full screen and not the bottom right monitor.

Tbh Johannes, the stream quality is far away from good. You cant watch the broadcast in full screen else you will just get pixel show on the screen. It would probably help to capture the action in full screen and not the bottom right monitor.

I always watch the Broadcast on my TV-Monitor in Fullscreen (26", 1920x1200) and for me personally the quality isn´t bad and capturing in the bottom right window doesn´t cause any loss in quality because the window has a different size on the broadcast machine, so resolution captured and streamed is the same (720x406), However it may look a bit odd due to the quite big and simple TV-Overlay graphics, we are working on changing them, but limited time slows this process down.

To give a little comparrison between the 2010 and 2011 Broadcasts I made Screenshots in the original resolution of the stream. The 2011 one has a little lower resolution (720x406) compared to 2010 (counting out the black frame 780x523) and a different FOV with the same streamrate which results in a slightly better picture on the 2011 stream (it´s not a big improvement compared to last year though)

At the end i attached a picture from an iRacing DWC Broadcast (which often was claimed as much better in terms of quality)

2011:
Broadcast_2011.jpg

2010:
Broadcast_2010.jpg

iRacing DWC:
iRacingDWC_2011.jpg

Gpcos...

Q was worse than expected, made a mistake in sector 2 and almost damaged the car there when touching the wall out of the chicane. Sector 3 was not very good either, so P5 on the grid.

Race: On lap 2 I got hit by de Wit who braked way too late into T1, which damaged the rear of my car. Rear end got a bit snappy on some places, which is far from ideal on this track, especially with this mod. I got more tyre wear than expected because of this contact, so I had to pit earlier than I wanted to.
Problem in the pits with the speed limiter not engaging meant a stop and go penalty, and after that the race was pretty much over. In the end I fought with Hirrle who put up a very harsh fight, but I managed to pass him. In the end I had chances of finishing 8th, but after making a very simple mistake I spun in T1 and stalled my engine. Race over.

This is surely one race to forget, never felt comfortable in the car at all during testing, no matter what setup changes. Now onto a track which should suit me much much better and hopefully I can be back fighting for wins again.

Grats to Bono again.

Hi guys,

I try keep tabs on as much of the racing as I can but last nights broadcast was nothing short of shocking!

Not in terms of content but quality. What is going on with all the buffering? Every few seconds it would buffer! It was awful.

I asked a few others and they were struggling also.

Surprising from PSRTV...

When I tuned in for the WT stream, I accidentally first connected through my british VPN connection, and the stream was indeed buffering every 5 seconds basicly.

After turning the VPN off however, the stream worked well, except I had to refresh maybe once in 5 laps when the picture would start to stutter for some reason.

So perhaps there were some problems with the connections between PSRTV and Britain this weekend.

Johannes, the picture quality might be slightly better than it was with multibc, but you need to consider two things:
1st, streaming a race on PSRTV (from the US), run on a European server like we do, causes lag on the cars. The cars are like boats and are not planted. This, in my view, is worse than having slightly worse pic quality. For me it takes away lots of the realism that sim games try to reproduce.
2nd, quite possibly multibc has improved their picture in the mean time, although I'm not sure. I don't watch anything.

Also there's no sense comparing the stream qualities of different games. For example Race07 will on the same streaming machine always look better than rFactor. Reason? Don't know.

I think apart from the boat issue, and PSRTV's unpredictability, it's ok. Then again those would be 2 major points of critics and in the year 2011 such things should not happen.
But I well know things aren't always so easy to fix as it might look like.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back