Race 07: The Modern Way to Fry an Egg

I haven't played this game is a long while and decided to give it a run today online with some friends. Well that didn't go well at all as I kept getting blue-screen after blue-screen. Decided to check what was going on and I see my GPU is cooking! Hitting 90 degrees. Every game I've play on this machine is fine but suddenly Race 07 has become a GPU killer. Anyone know what's going on? I have a XFX Double D 7870 so it should be more than enough to run this game but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Kennett is right. It should stay cool no matter what. Unless you overclock it a lot.

Check the airflow inside your computer, and see if the fans are all still working. Not sure if you have active or passive cooling on the GPU, but if it's actice. make sure the cooler is properly attached and clean as well.

Most config tools for you GPU have an indicator of temp. Check it there to see when it starts to heat up.

Well I played with some setting last night. Actually let the card do most of the work rather than the game itself. That seems to help a little. Was actually able to finish two race sessions but that thing is still running very hot. I'm hitting like 80 plus. Don't know if the fact I'm using 3 screens is also contributing to it. That is different than the last time I ran the game.

In normal use, so not overclocked, just using the features of either GPU or CPU, temps will not hit over 60 degrees when stressed maxed for a longer period of time.

Any other temperature rise, within a short or shorter period of time, or less usage, can only be caused by cooling issues inside. Either fans are broken, airflow is blocked, or heatsinks are getting loose. Check that first.

Also, something else to test, is to fire up the game, and load a replay. Let it run the replay, so you have your hands and eyes available. Now open the PC and look inside. See if you can pinpont the source of the heat. Is it the whole housingof the PC, is it the CPU, or perhaps something else that heats up quickly.

This is NOT setting related. Unless you are talking about overclocking hardware settings. No game setting can cause this on a normal computer. Its hardware related....

Personally, I noticed with a Set Affinity software that, when launching Race07 Steam Version with the native affinity ( theoritically on 2 cores for my pc ), .... the gauges showed me I was using 1 core very much and the other ... very little.
Opening task manager and unchecking 2 cores for just 1, saving, then checking again 2 cores and saving...., Race07 finally began using the 2 cores more or less equally.
The reason why... Well, I don't know .... but now I do it automatically every time I run the game.

That's maybe the reason why your CPU gets warmer.
Worth a try, isn't it ?

Please read....
There is a HARDWARE problem. Setting afinity is totally irrelevant in this matter.

Like i said above, when the hardware is in order, you can NOT get those high temps, when you stress a CPU/GPU. Simply not possible, unless you have your computer set up inside some kind of oven or something, with outside temps of 60+..

You post is relevant in case you have stutters or problems in gameplay. And even then, only when the first CPU is at 100% often.

I have the same card as you have OP, XFX Double D. 6870.

The reason your GPU runs so hot in this game, is that there is no frame-limiter in Race07 and you get redicolously high fps in the menus and the setup-screens.

Also a problem with our specific model is that it has a very bad default fan profile where the fans do not spin fast enough when getting into high territory.
This was supposedly done to market the card as "super silent" by running it with tamed cooling fans.

The solution is getting MSI Afterburner from HERE and setting up a custom fan-profile for your HD 6870.
I would recommend setting 100% fan-speed at 80° or earlier.
If you need further help, just say so here :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 226 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%