RACE 07 Stuttering fixed!

When I was on Windows XP using an ATI 4830 512MB card I had first experienced stuttering graphics. The fix for this was to disable the in game setting for v-sync and set the pre-render frames or as ATI likes to call it frame Que to 0. I have since moved up to Windows 7 and a GTX560Ti card and to my dismay found that the stuttering had returned. Mind you this stuttering is only really noticeable when using the TV camera mode and especially on tracks like the Nurburgring. Trying the old fixes didn't work but after several hours of relentless trial and error I finally found the answer.

On my old system the game worked best if you set the graphics card driver to 'application controlled anti aliasing' and set the AA with the in game setting. On this new setup it seems that the in game AA doesn't work at all with the latest Nvidia drivers for my card which is nothing new as I have run into this problem before with other titles. But being as I am using a 26" monitor at 1920 x 1200 AA is more important then ever and I find myself having to run higher AA values then I would on my old 22" at 1680 x 1050.

So tried every combo of driver and game settings and there was only one factor that made the difference. I set the NV driver to 'override application settings' and turned off the AA in the game settings. Now here is the fun part that had me for a loop for a minute. Normally I run modern games at X16 AF and X16q AA with virtually no performance hit whatsoever. If you have the driver AA set to use a 'Q' value the game runs like crap or at least for me it did. Apparently the game doesn't like CSAA for some reason with these Win 7 Nvidia drivers. As soon a I picked a Non-Q value for AA the game runs smooth as silk and doesn't ever drop below 55 FPS on the Nurburgring with 15 AI cars on the track and AA set on x16 (but NOT x16Q). Can't explain it, don't know why and don't really care. Just really glad I got if fixed.

On a side note, at first I though it might have something to do with the way memory was being used as the stuttering would start about 30 seconds into the game. If I alt + tabbed to desktop and back to the game it ran perfectly for the first 15 or 20 seconds and then the stutter would start again. Apparently memory usage was not the problem. Hope this helps some people get better performance out of their game.:wink:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 256 13.4%