RACE 07 Offline Version Patch

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
In this discussion a bug occured in the offline install that is fixed with the steam patch recently.

How come there is still no patch released for the offline versions of RACE 07. It's promised a year ago that it will be released soon.

I might have missed it completely since the official forum is not up anymore, but is the offline patch delivered already?

• daRock

Haven't see it, and have been looking for it.

One would expect it to be available on their own website, or announced on their own website, as they did with the few they did for their earlier releases.

And I'm not sure that Simbin actually promised, did they? Not sure, but I remember the promise as something a number of people said they said.

• Dangerous Beans

To fix the tracks I guess it would be possible to unpack the patched Steam files and copy them over to the offline install.

Obviously not an ideal solution as they really should patch it to the same level as the Steam version, as long as they fix the things theve broke first that is, but it would be better than nothing in the mean time.

The unfortunate reality is that 50% of the offline intalls are pirated.

That can never be the argument not to patch it :) There are people that don't use the steam install and never go online but they did pay for the product and deserve a proper game as well. The patch was promised a long time ago...

• daRock

I notice that Simbin's newest website has no SUPPORT section.

Once upon a time, their old site had a couple of patches for one of the older releases, but I've no longer got that link. And none of their separate game sections show patch downloads.

It's apparently not in their budget to support that part of their product.

• daRock

You wouldn't but come on, get real! You really believe many aren't pirated, hence why they play offline?

You know, Ryan, it's what you know, not what you believe that matters when it comes to presenting facts.

And it appears that you don't understand much about the attractions of offline to many, many, many people. Attractions that have nothing to do with "stolen".

daRock, you don't seem to understand maths. 50% is still a lot of people. There are another lot of people who illegally download it. I know some of these people, who have no interst in playing it online and therefore get it by other means.

If you don't know then you can't prove me wrong either. So it's pointless arguing!

You know 70% of World of Goo applications are pirates?

• daRock

daRock, you don't seem to understand maths. 50% is still a lot of people.

You know 70% of World of Goo applications are pirates?

Math, I understand.

Truthful statistics I also understand. But you don't seem to have any. Just your beliefs.

And no, I don't KNOW how many pirated versions of GTREvo are in use today. Nor have I seen any reliable estimates.

You have any reputable references to offer to back up your horrific percentages?

• daRock

If 70% of the users are pirates, then there are 1.4 times as many people running downloaded, pirated GTREvos than purchasers.

You really believe it's that readily available?

Where?

For that many to be pirating it, the sources of pirated versions would have to be more readily available. And they'd need to be installable versions, not just no-cd.exe's that you paste into a working install.

You do know the difference between fully working, installable pirated copies and no-cd execs, don't you? For most software, the ability to pirate it requires far more than just an internet connection to get a download.

If 70% of the users are pirates, then there are 1.4 times as many people running downloaded, pirated GTREvos than purchasers.

You really believe it's that readily available?

Where?

LOL that's just too funny to even comment on. Are you serious???

For most software, the ability to pirate it requires far more than just an internet connection to get a download.

Wow

If you really believe that, then you are naive. Almost all illegal downloads come patched and cracked and ready to go.

Fact:
Anyone with a high-speed connection (and no morals) can have any game or piece of software downloaded and installed within an hour or two.

And Ryan is probably correct.

Example:

Spore sold 2 million copies in 2008.

Spore was downloaded illegally 1.7 million times in 2008.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-most-pirated-games-2008

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2008-081204/

That's an 85% pirate rate.

Most games have a 50-80% pirate rate.

So Ryan would be absolutely correct in his estimate.

But it aint RACE 07 :D

Yes, but GTR Evo is another story :D

It would not surprise me at all if there are more illegal copies out there than purchased copies.

It was on dozens of torrents sites the day it was released in Germany.

And since it was not released to the UK and US until almost a month later, there were thousands and thousands of downloads because people did not want to wait.

But anyway, we are way off topic :)

It's normal for there to be more pirate versions than legal. I remember an article that mentioned that for every legal copy of Call of Duty 4 playing online, 20 pirate versions were online.
So yea pirate versions of games are common and easy to get.

But that's no excuse to leave the legal owners hanging.

• daRock

Some of those "statistics" are suggestive of something.

Like the suggestion that 20 of our pc users steal their software when only 1 pays for it. That's saying that around 95% of our kids today not only think it's ok to steal, but actually do so.

It also says that they don't understand that an industry where almost 100% of the product is stolen will not survive. They're pretty stupid, right. All of them, right.

Do you believe that almost every kid steals all his software?

[EDIT] So more to the topic,

Simbin recently advertised the possible release of the latest version and said it'd be in the 2nd quarter of the year.

Does anyone believe they will release the offline version patch before that? You'd think they had pretty much tested out most of the patch code that's been released off and on in STEAM, and would only have to package it, wouldn't you?

Things like the Aston Martin rewrite, would only be data changes. As would be some of the track fixes. And data changes shouldn't be a problem to release. Should they?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 504 39.0%