Race 07 - Cannot run/obtain dedicated server

Graham Laing

Retired Staff
Hi

I posted this in the Steam forum, with no reply yet, and though that I may have more success here ....... hopefully :)

BTW I have read the pdf file available from this website, which walks you through setting up a dedicated server.

I have a bit of a problem with Race 07 dedicated server, and steam, running on Window 7 Pro x64 bit.

In my game library I have :-

Race 07
STCC 2
GT Power Expansion

When I go to the Steam > Tools Menu, there is no Race 07 dedicated server listed for downloading/installing. The closest I can get is :-

GTR Evolution Demo Dedicated Server
Race On - Demo: Dedicated Server
STCC The Game Demo Dedicated Server

So there no dedicated server files associated with either race 07, STCC2, or GT Power Expansion.

If I browse to my Steam Install > steamapps > MyAccountName > Race07 folder, there is a :-

RaceDedicatedServer_Steam.exe

If I try to run it directly, I get a Steam.dll is missing error.

So I assume that the dedicated server must be run via Steam, yet it's not actually available for me to run/install via Steam.

Has anyone any ideas on how to resolve this please?

BTW there is no race07ds folder (probably because it's not installed by steam yet)

Can the dedicated server files be downloaded from elsewhere on the net perhaps, from a trusted/official source, so I can run it on a non-playing machine on my LAN?

Thanks

Not sure that it will make any difference, but have you tried to right click on the name of the game, (race 07) and see if there is an option to install a dedicated server? I presume that you are running a full version of the game from steam and not a demo :)

Hi

Yes I have tried the right click too, and yes it is the full version of the game installed, not the demo.

Strange eh?

Actually a friend of mine bought it today, and I asked him about it. He doesn't have the dedicated server available for download either.

If I can't get the files independently, then it looks like I will have to raise a ticket with Steam, and ask them where the option to install the DS has gone .....

Annoying when the actual RaceDedicatedServer_Steam.exe file is present in the race07 folder, but I can't run it :(

Cheers

Have you looked in your start menu to see if it is there? I recently reinstalled my entire system and when I went to play I was able to start the dedicated server without going through steam to install it.

Unfortunately there isn't anything there. None of my (many) Steam games install to the Start Menu, apart from Steam itself.

Simbin's 'RaceRoom The Game' is the only one there, because that's an independent non-steam install.

Thanks for the reply though ....... methinks a Steam Ticket is in order ;)

EDIT:Ticket Raised

I use Windows 7, and in the start menu there is the steam listed with a triangle pointing to the right. If I pause there it shows the options for steam like choosing Evo, Race 07, Race 07 dedicated server etc.

I don't know if having Windows 7 64 bit makes a difference, it probably shouldn't, but I don't have a menu like yours.

Out of interest I deleted the 'RaceDedicatedServer_Steam.exe' from my Race07 folder, did a Steam verification, and Steam replaced it. SO it apparently should be there, I just can't use it.

Weird!

Here's mine :-

Steam1.jpg

steam2.jpg

A found it!

• Open your Steam browser and go to the tab "Library".
  • Click the "All Games" drop down menu
  • Select "Tools" and you will find all the server options
  • Right-click on RACE 07 and install the server files
  • Run it :thumb:

Yes it is strange. I bought this about 5 or 6 days ago, I couldn't resist the price :) A friend bought it yesterday, and has exactly the same problem, it's not in the tools menu. Luckily for him he doesn't want to use the dedicated server anyway. Except to play on mine ;)

I have raised a ticket with Steam, but don't expect a rapid response ......

So i have uninstalled all content, including add-ons (STCC2, GT Power), and removed the folders. Now I have spent the last hour or so TRYING to download via Steam a fresh install. It would seem that every Steam server is frigging busy! I've tried London, Manchester, Sweden, Japan, New York, Los Angeles and now I am on San Diago ...... no joy yet!

I've got backup files if I really need to play .....

I am going to try Race 07 alone first, then add the add-ons later.

Cheers :)

None of it worked, everything is as it was before I re-installed everything. With Race 07 installed alone, there is no dedicated server available to download/install via Steam.

This is the one really bad thing about Steam, being locked into their system, great when it works, terrible when it doesn't.

For a dedicated server there is absolutely NO reason why I shouldn't be able to go to Simbin's website, download it and run it. Without all this BS with Steam.

I copied the steam.dll into the Race07 folder, and can now run the dedicated.exe directly, however it crashes during server boot, after the track loads.

I have tried running it as administrator and in XP compatability mode, with no joy. Of course I don't know whether the crash is due to something else, or the fact that the Race 07 dedicated server has NOT actually been installed (from the tools menu) or run directly via Steam.

PS ..... I saw what you saw, the Half-Life dedicated server logo :D

I don't use Steam for anything except Race 07 so don't really know the ins and outs of it. What I do know is that trying to start R07 directly (game, not DS) doesn't work either. I have to use either the Steam button or shortcut. So what I'm wondering is if you could create a shortcut yourself using the same target that mine has. It's a web shortcut so install location shouldn't make any difference. Worth a try at least.

The desktop shortcut I have for the Race 07 DS uses the following target:

Code:
steam://rungameid/8610

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Funny you mentioned it, I tried that about an hour ago. I created a Race 07 shortcut, then change the game id from 8600 to 8610. All that does is start Steam, then take you to the Steam Store. It's doing this because I don't officially have game id 8610 installed, so it thinks I need to buy it. It didn't even take me to any Race 07 or add-on store page.

Steam are NOT fast with their ticket system, they haven't even acknowledged the ticket yet, saying we'll get back to you or something similar.

I have this query on the Steam forum too, hence the reason I knew the Game ID, and tested the shortcut idea already.

Cheers :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22198613#post22198613

Ah ok. Definitely seems like a problem on their end then, since buying Race 07 should mean that the DS is also registered to your account. Hope they get back to you in a somewhat timely manner. :)

Thanks very much.

I did have one last try. I Installed the Race07 demo dedicated server, then copied and renamed the full dedicated server file into the demo folder. I also copied most of the Race 07 install files into the demo folder, and did a similar thing to the Simbin folder in the Documents folder.

The server ran fine via Steam, but was still restricted to one track and one (or 2) cars. It probably can be done, but I'll let the ticket do it's work, as I am having MUCH more fun trying to cleanly (and quickly) get the Zonda around Nürburgring Nordschleife

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back