Race #02, Malaysia: Post-Race Checks

Check your actual status of warnings and safety rating of the season HERE.

Morgan Morand (4.00) +0.50

Q1: Clean
Q2: Clean
Log: Clean
Launch Control: Used
Pitstop: Clean
Tire Rules: Fulfilled
Penalty: N/A

Bono Huis (4.00) +0.50

Atze Kerkhof (2.00) -1.00

Log: Rearview Driving="0", Virtual Rearview In Cockpit="0", Out of deadline
Penalty: Official Warning for .PLR/multiplayer.ini settings, 1.0 Penalty Points for log sent out of the deadline
For Kerkhof sending his log late, I have decided to penalise him with 1 penalty point rather than a disquilification as he sent his log before I completed looking at the protests that were submitted. Therefore it did not affect myself and the time that the post race checks were submitted.
Ivar Kalamees (2.00) +0.50

Q2: N/A

Petar Brljak (3.00) +0.50

Rob van Starkenburg (4.00) +0.50

Jack Keithley (2.50) -1.00

Penalty: Official Warning for Incident #4, 1.00 Penalty Points and +5 seconds added to the final race time for Incident #12

Jim Parisis (3.50) 0.00

Penalty: Official Warning for Incident #10

Aleksi Uusi-Jaakkola (2.50) -0.50

Penalty: 0.50 Penalty Points and +5 seconds added to the final race time for Incident #6

Carlos Martín (4.00) +0.50

Dian Kostadinov (4.00) +0.50

Blair Disley (4.00) +0.50

Martin Gosbee (4.00) +0.50

Adrián Rodríguez (2.40) -1.10

Penalty: 1.10 Penalty Points for Incident #1

Antonio Kolarec (3.00) +0.50

Eros Masciulli (4.00) +0.50

Dino Paolini (2.50) 0.00

Penalty: Official Warning for Incident #11,

Luka Oslakovic (4.00) +0.50

Patrick De Wit (0.00) -1.00

Log: Virtual Rearview In Cockpit="0"
Penalty: Official Warning for .PLR/multiplayer.ini settings (2nd time), Official Warning for Incident #7, Official Warning for Incident #8 (0.50 Penalty Points for 2nd Official Warning), 0.50 Penalty Points for Incident #9

Peter Helmbro (4.00) +0.50

Zuhaitz Cabo (4.00) +0.50

Ville Leppälä (1.50) +0.50

David Greco (4.00) +0.50

Mark Aalberts (4.00) +0.50

Matt Sentell (4.00) +0.50

Marcel vd Linden (4.00) +0.50

Before going straight to the incidents verdicts take into account that there has been some rule changes this year regarding the penalty system and it may seem that penalties are harsher than previous years.

This year with the introduction of the Safety Rating value every driver gets 0.50 SR for a clean race.
That means that if a driver has a penalty of 1.5 penalty points he will be able to recover those penalty points doing 3 clean races (0.50 SR+0.50 SR+0.50 SR) while the previous years the driver had to do 5 consecutive clean races in order to “erase” his penalty points.

Also for this first race the following excel document has been used for all the incidents, but it’s subjected to future changes to try to improve it over the season.

Incident #1

Driver(s) Involved: Antonio Kolarec, Adrian Rodriguez

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 1, 1:23

Review: Into T12 Rodriguez squeezes Kolarec over the kurb and wheel to wheel contact is made between the two drivers, causing Kolarec to spin off and in the process lose approximately 8 seconds.

Chart 2 (Time lost evaluation) and cell 20G has been used for this verdict.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=4fvgTRPFB7o

Verdict: 1.10 Penalty Points for Adrian Rodriguez.

Incident #2

Driver(s) Involved: Eros Masciulli, Antonio Kolarec

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 12, 0:03

Review: Kolarec is entering the pit lane and Mascuilli is just exiting his pit box, the two are side by side as Kolarec turns to enter his pit box. while Mascuilli is drifting out to the normal line in the pitlane, which is where the contact is made. Both parties could have avoided the incident, Kolarec could have lifted slightly to allow Mascuilli by, and also Mascuilli could have remained straight rather than drifting across the pitlane.
Since there isn’t any specific regulation regarding pitlane behaviour, the guilty party cannot be determined.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=H_wwUv0JTxw

Verdict: No further action.

Incident #3

Driver(s) Involved: Dino Paolini, Marcel vd Linden

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 1, 0:01

Review: vd Linden stalls on the grid and Paolini goes into the rear of him, losing his front wing end plate.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=FhWaAYFiNgg

Incident #4

Driver(s) Involved: Jack Keithley, Patrick De Wit

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 45, 0:03

Review: De Wit is overtaking Keithley with the use of DRS, but as the pair are side by side Keithley misjudges the situation and drifts back towards De Wit, as Keithley expects De Wit to move back to the rubbered racing line, this causes slight contact between Keithley’s front left tire and De Wits right sidepod. The contact didn’t require either parties to correct their respective cars or take any evasive action.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=dNCshsCUu_8

Verdict: Official Warning for Jack Keithley.

Incident #5

Driver(s) Involved: Ivar Kalamees

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 14, 0:02

Review: When in pitlane, Kalamees drives between the pit box and the garages in order to safely get to his pit box. Although Kalamees is not driving through the pitlane in a normal manner, he did not danger any driver while driving on the other side of the pitlane. Moreover there is no rule stating he must stick to the left hand side so no penalty can be applied.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=n2XJXdtLksw

Incident #6

Driver(s) Involved: Aleksi Uusi-Jaakkola, Martin Gosbee

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 14, 0:14

Review: Uusi-Jaakkola is exiting his pit box and Gosbee is turning into his pit box, the duo collide in the middle causing Gosbee to spin, causing him to lose 9 seconds until he placed his car in his pit box. Additionally Gosbee lost a further 14 seconds through optional repairs.

Chart 2 (Time lost evaluation) and cell 22G has been used for this verdict.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=OBX6N7YBSCY

Verdict: 0.50 Penalty Points and +5 seconds added to the final race time for Aleksi Uusi-Jaakkola..

Incident #7

Driver(s) Involved: Jim Parisis, Patrick De Wit

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 5, 1:30

Review: De Wit brakes later than Parisis and dives for the inside from quite far back and locks up in the process, Parisis then turns out of the corner to avoid contact between the two drivers and gets the cut back.

De Wit places Parisis in a position where he must decide whether to turn in and have a collision or open the door for De Wit and allow him to overtake to not cause a collision between the two drivers. If Parisis turned in and contact was made, then definitely there would be a penalty but since there was no collision it is conceivable that De Wit misjudged the situation and had to dive for the corner to not guarantee making contact with Parisis.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=2i6hQZ7XdQ8

Verdict: Official Warning for Patrick De Wit.

Incident #8

Driver(s) Involved: Petar Brljak, Patrick De Wit

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 39, 0:06

Review: Brljak is passing De Wit using DRS up the inside into T1, De Wit turns in on Brljak ignoring his presence and causing contact between the two drivers.

This contact did not really affect Brljak, whereas it hindered De Wit more since he went off the rubbered line.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=VSK8Ghe29I0

Verdict: Official Warning for Patrick De Wit (0.5 Penalty Points for 2nd Official Warning).

Incident #9

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 41, 1:27

Review: De Wit yet again dives up the inside in the last corner and Parisis leaves the door open for De Wit to avoid a collision.

Since it’s understable that on the first occasion De Wit misjudges the situation and therefore there was an official warning for incident #7, but this is the second similar incident in the same race, therefore a penalty is applied.

Chart 2 (Time lost evaluation) and cell 24G has been used for this verdict.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=vGjRYxOENIA

Verdict: 0.5 Penalty Points for Patrick De Wit.

Incident #10

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 6, 0:05

Review: Following De Wit’s dive-bomb at the last turn (Incident #7), Parisis returns serve and dive-bombs De Wit in T1, where Parisis misses the apex completely and De Wit takes evasive action to avoid contact.

Parisis places De Wit in a position where he must decide whether to turn in and have a collision or open the door for Parisis and allow him to overtake to not cause a collision between the two drivers. If De Wit turned in and contact was made, then definitely there would be a penalty but since there was no collision it is conceivable that Parisis misjudged the situation and had to dive for the corner to not guarantee making contact with De Wit.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=N-c3-E8cz5E

Verdict: Official Warning for Jim Parisis.

Incident #11

Driver(s) Involved: Dian Kostadinov, Dino Paolini

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 12, 0:26

Review: Kostadinov is exiting the pit lane and at T1 himself and Paolini are alongside each other. From the onboard footage the contact between Disley and Paolini was lag contact and did not affect Paolini, who then turned into Kostadinov. The contact between Kostadinov and Paolini did not have a significant impact on Kostadinov since his car only went on the kerb and he lost little to no time.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=b7oDRCsNfX0

Verdict: Official Warning for Dino Paolini.

Incident #12

Driver(s) Involved: Dian Kostadinov, Jack Keithley

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 24, 1:30

Review: Keithley has DRS on Kostadinov and is passing him into the final corner, where he squeezes Kostadinov to the edge of the track and makes slight contact with his rear right to Kostadinov’ front left, causing Kostadinov to have a half spin, which costs him around 5 seconds.

Cell 11K from Chart 3 (Unsportsmanlike conduct) and cell 22G from Chart 2 (Time lost evaluation) has been used for this verdict.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=zr1EaYks3xc

Verdict: 1.00 Penalty Points and +5 seconds added to the final race time for Jack Keithley.

Incident #13

Driver(s) Involved: Aleksi Uusi-Jaakkola, Bono Huis

Lap/Replay Time: Lap 7, 0:19

Review: Huis is attempting to pass Uusi-Jaakkola and he is on the outside on the exit of T2, where he is off the racing line, hits the kerb and loses traction. After correcting the slide Huis drifts into Uusi-Jaakkola, causing contact which results in Huis semi-spinning. Since Huis was the driver drifting across and he was penalised for the incident during the race with the spin and the contact didn’t affect Uusi-Jaakkola, there is no need to take this further.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=64KPrOCKxP4

Is this an incident? i mean if you leave a gap on the inside of the corner and a driver goes for that gap and when he is doing so still leaves plenty of space on the outside this is considered penalty worthy?

Thanks for all your work you make really quickly.

but i didn't know even if there is no contact there is some negative SR ( or warning ) because you divebomb inside

I'm not agree with the verdict against Jim Parisis ( case #10 ) and against De Wit. We are friends so i'm neutral when i say this. De wit divebombs were cleans and 3/4 meters far from the parisis's car. I could agree that Parisis had to renounce to go to the inside at midturn, only because he went into a wide entry. and patrick took this opportunity to go inside earlier than jim. That's pure racing.

for the case #10 Jim overtake try was really great ( he had to avoid de wit late deviation ) but he had too much speed through the corner. He lost his position because he goes into the marbles

I'm agree that FSR had a bad issue mainly with Ace race with a bad driving but now if we can't overtake without blame because you are not beside your opponent before the braking point. i think this is the wrong way to take. There are some drivers who couldn't divebomb properly ( ok ok i remember malaysia 2012.... :sick: ) and will crash opponents but in WC some guys could do this technique without damage. The fact is there isn't collision in those case you had to review.

Just don't give up the spectacular because in lower series we had such bad racing.

Just a constructive post for you Eduard for your future review. :)

I'm not agree with the verdict against Jim Parisis ( case #10 ) and against De Wit. We are friends so i'm neutral when i say this. De wit divebombs were cleans and 3/4 meters far from the parisis's car. I could agree that Parisis had to renounce to go to the inside at midturn, only because he went into a wide entry. and patrick took this opportunity to go inside earlier than jim. That's pure racing.

Braking so late that it's up to the other driver to notice you in order to avoid a crash can't be considered racing. Here is an example of what happens if the driver in front is not so kind to give you the position:

And Patrick (and Jim in the other incident) was much behind than in this example.

Braking so late that it's up to the other driver to notice you in order to avoid a crash can't be considered racing. Here is an example of what happens if the driver in front is not so kind to give you the position:.

I don't agree but respect what you want to say. but Regarding in our mirror is the minimal requirement of a top level simracer, even real life driver has to look at their mirrors. That's part of racing.
Considering divebomb as unsportman like is a personal view, considering the move was stick to be done nicely.

In canada, huis divebombed me in lap 8 in the hairpin. I had to renounce to go to the inside, without that, we collide. I didn't protest because that's part of racing. Just i was bad in this moment and had to agree that a driver could do better moves than me.
In rfactor2 we have to look our mirrors even more cause of the collision model.
In french highway code i'm studying, the guy who have the priority have to renounce to it when the situation is not safe. This is the same in Motorsport, even MORE in karting event.

Canada dive :
dive at 58:55

Another dives from real F1 :

That's my last reply here. just not to make some tornado post again ;)

Braking so late that it's up to the other driver to notice you in order to avoid a crash can't be considered racing. Here is an example of what happens if the driver in front is not so kind to give you the position:

And Patrick (and Jim in the other incident) was much behind than in this example.
Same, i might be coming in from 1 carlenght away but as we are steering into the corner we are basicly side by side with me on the inside, the guy does not notice me there and steers in creating a collision, if he would have driven a defensive line coming towards that corner it would have closed the gap for any overtaking. saying that there wasnt a gap in my situation as well is rediculous, it also wasnt the best possible moment for overtaking but saying there was no room at all for an overtake is not in sync with my racing believes. Mind again, at the moment of approaching the apex we are side by side and i could have given the room on the outside for him but he chose to steer into the corner normally where i was and then the collision happened

ps.
As seen in the real examples that morand just shared they are dives but all legit, its racing.

Last edited:
Quick question. How is a driver who stalls at the start and causes multiple collisions as a result, awarded SR points? Not even a warning? Other drivers got a warning for contact which didn't have a major impact, if any impact at all, on peoples races. Yet they were docked SR points? How is a race in which a driver stalls and causes multiple collisions seen as a clean race? He didn't even move 5 feet...

Quick question. How is a driver who stalls at the start and causes multiple collisions as a result, awarded SR points? Not even a warning? Other drivers got a warning for contact which didn't have a major impact, if any impact at all, on peoples races. Yet they were docked SR points? How is a race in which a driver stalls and causes multiple collisions seen as a clean race? He didn't even move 5 feet...

Because he didn't have enough time to press ESC, vd Linden stalled when the red lights were already on.

Thanks for all your work you make really quickly.

but i didn't know even if there is no contact there is some negative SR ( or warning ) because you divebomb inside

for the case #10 Jim overtake try was really great ( he had to avoid de wit late deviation ) but he had too much speed through the corner. He lost his position because he goes into the marbles

I'm agree that FSR had a bad issue mainly with Ace race with a bad driving but now if we can't overtake without blame because you are not beside your opponent before the braking point. i think this is the wrong way to take. There are some drivers who couldn't divebomb properly ( ok ok i remember malaysia 2012.... :sick: ) and will crash opponents but in WC some guys could do this technique without damage. The fact is there isn't collision in those case you had to review.

Just don't give up the spectacular because in lower series we had such bad racing.

Just a constructive post for you Eduard for your future review. :)

From my point of view if we allow drivers to dive like that we will end up having a lot of crashes and the broadcasts will look very bad (ACE is just a recent example), for me contact is not racing.

The thing is, if I don't give official warnings to the people who dives, the drivers that were forced to take an evasive action in order to avoid the crash, will end up turning in so at least the driver who dives will get punished, and I don't want to promote that kind of racing.

Also the teams involved in those dives protested eachother so I guess it's more a matter of how people understands clean racing and there is room for several interpretations.

In any case thank you for your constructive post Morgan.

We have to reconsider what is clean dive, and what is illegal dive. In last video posted by David, was driver 1-2 length behind. Its position, where driver in front can expect dive. In addition Chris suggested it by moving to the inside line a while before (Btw, thats why I dont understand, why driver in front closed the door).
But Patrick in #7 was 4-5 lengths behind at moment, where Jim started braking. This is situation, where driver is braking to the corner and cant expect such a divebomb. This time was Jim lucky. He spotted Patricks car in last moment and moved out of line to avoid crash. But in a lot of cases it may end bad.
PS: It looked like some kind of "Senna racing" - move out of the line and let me pass, or we are both out. ;)

We have to reconsider what is clean dive, and what is illegal dive. In last video posted by David, was driver 1-2 length behind. Its position, where driver in front can expect dive. In addition Chris suggested it by moving to the inside line a while before (Btw, thats why I dont understand, why driver in front closed the door).

Yeah, Chris is much closer, however I simply wanted to point out that not always the driver in front will be so nice to give you the position, like Jim did, and twice.

PS: It looked like some kind of "Senna racing" - move out of the line and let me pass, or we are both out. ;)

Exactly. Which is terrible.

Regarding F1 videos, they are pointless. FSR has its own rulebook and that's the only thing that matters here. However, if you ever took care to read the rules, you'd understand why De Wit's (and Jim's one) moves were not allowed, and why Hamilton's move would have been ok (but quite close!) even with FSR rulebook.

They can be happy to go away with just official warnings, but I believe it can't be easy to put proper penalties when you have certain lobby ready to complain for every little penalty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any mention of the definition of a clean race in the rules? Nor in the WC Supplement.

If there is indeed a definition in the rules, please point me in it's direction.

I understand what do you mean, and probably we should modify the current rulebook and specify that only if the driver finished X amount of laps (i.e. 75% of total race laps) he will be able to gain 0.5SR (in case of a race without incidents).

As there is no technical definition of clean race, I think the only option is to accept it as a "race without penalties", as Edu did.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 412 39.9%