R3E won't start in VR!

So: I have an Acer WMR headset, using the Steam VR app. rF2, PC2. DR, and ACC all work fine
without any problems.
R3E, on the other hand, refuses to start in VR mode. It churns and churns. and then I get a pop up message "Can't connect to server, Error Code 17991 "
And in Chrome the tab says " 505 Bad Gateway "
All the relevant drivers are up to date, and all my other games run fine.
I've tried a file integrity check, and a complete new install after deleting all R3E folders on my computer ( twice )
I have " -vr " as start option, and I always start it from within Steam, after first starting the Steam VR app.
It used to work until the latest big update, but now it only works in 2D mode, VR is broken.
Anybody have any ideas?

I thought I'd bump this one up, now that Christmas is over, and things are back to normal.
Does anybody have a solution to my problem? R3E is not my first choice when I want to race, but I've spent a lot on addons, and not being able to use it in VR is a bit irksome.
My system is modern and up to date. rF2, Dirt Rally and PC2 run really well, and start every time without complications. Why can't Sector 3 get their act together? Does anybody from over there even hang out here?

The game definitely starts fine in normal mode (non-VR), right? Have you tried removing the -vr command and starting the game with the included VR options instead? Also try both 32bit and 64bit versions, just to eliminate it as a possibility. Finally, try starting the game without starting SteamVR first and let it open automatically. (I remember the game used to crash on me if I started SVR first, but that was some time ago.)
R3E_Options.png

The game definitely starts fine in normal mode (non-VR), right? Have you tried removing the -vr command and starting the game with the included VR options instead? Also try both 32bit and 64bit versions, just to eliminate it as a possibility. Finally, try starting the game without starting SteamVR first and let it open automatically. (I remember the game used to crash on me if I started SVR first, but that was some time ago.)
View attachment 284975

I just de-installed it, and am re-installing it again, after deleting every R3E folder I could find on my computer. Just before I de-installed it, I found out that it wouldn't even start in normal mode any more, despite using the desktop Icon to start and deleting the "-vr" in the start options.
At least rF2, Dirt Rally, and PC2 are all running fine, without having to jump through hoops and spend hours buggering about trying this and that :thumbsup:
Until now, I'm underwhelmed with the "support" on the dedicated Sector 3 forum: a link to another thread where someone has (had?) the same problem where they suggested doing some things that don't apply at all in my case, but otherwise no real help. I'll wait till I have a vanilla install to play with tomorrow, and then see if that made any difference. But thanks for trying to help :thumbsup:

I solved my problem in that I got rid of the Acer WMD VR headset that I had, as I found out that it wouldn't always play ball with the steam VR App. Bought a Rift S, and haven't looked back. It's a better headset in all respects anyway. The steam VR App context menu has an extra setting for "start in Oculus VR mode", and then it just works. :D
YMMV, the Steam software is as buggy as hell, it's been in beta for like the last 3 (?) years, and they're still fiddling around with it. Good luck with finding a solution :)

I solved my problem in that I got rid of the Acer WMD VR headset that I had, as I found out that it wouldn't always play ball with the steam VR App. Bought a Rift S, and haven't looked back. It's a better headset in all respects anyway. The steam VR App context menu has an extra setting for "start in Oculus VR mode", and then it just works. :D
YMMV, the Steam software is as buggy as hell, it's been in beta for like the last 3 (?) years, and they're still fiddling around with it. Good luck with finding a solution :)

how to get to vr context setting???

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing