R3E: SimBin Community QA Video (1)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

R3E: SimBin Community QA Video (1)

After seventeen weeks the long wait for the much anticipated answers of the Swedish developers on their community Q&A is over. SimBin's Creative Director Diego Sartori breaks the silence and speaks.

Featuring in this 8 minute long video are the questions about the highly unrealistic brakemarkers in RaceRoom Racing Experience and why they were incorporated in the game. Furthermore they touch the delicate question when single player racing against AI is available.

Other important...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
Seems to me that Simbin has chosen a path of mediocrity.
What is heartbreaking is that if they gave GTR2 to a company like REIZA so that they could fine tune the graphics to the level of GSC and keep many of the features, such as 24 hours races, weather, championships and so on, I cannot think of a single simracer that would have not bought the product the day of release. GTR2 is still the benchmark for what a simracing game should be. It's just old.

To think that these are the same people that managed to come out with GTR2 almost 10 years ago and all they could deliver in 2013 is this hot lapping game is very disheartening. Yes, it sounds great. It's not enough.

By my calculations you have answered a question a Month, i.e. you have answered 4 questions and it has taken 4 Months, very disappointing, remind me how many questions there were in total cos it's gonna take you a hell of a long time to answer them all at that rate :(

One more thing, you better add one more question to the list if you're going to answer the remaining questions at the same rate, so will R3E be released for the PS5?

Seriously, enough of the stalling and crappy videos (if this was the good version I'd hate to see the version that got pulled), just release the answers in text\PDF format.

To think that these are the same people that managed to come out with GTR2 almost 10 years ago and all they could deliver in 2013 is this hot lapping game is very disheartening. Yes, it sounds great. It's not enough.

Today's Simbin are not the same people who produced GTR2. Most of the people who brought you GTR2 now work for SMS.

And GTR2 is only seven years old. :)

Last edited:
Me being on of them :)

A lot of the time giving a hard answer (yes/no) kinda kills the idea or means making a promise we cant keep..

F.E.
Q: Will we have night racing?
A: The engine is capable of it, we have thought about it, but right now it is a low prio. If the time is there we will look at it again and it might find its way into the game.

IMHO that is a good an straight answer as it can get at this time in the development....If you have other expectations, the please let me know. Diego told you where we are with it, what our position is on that feature, and if we will aim to do it int he future or not. I am not sure what more you expected from some of the answers...

Seems to me that .......................GTR2 is still the benchmark for what a simracing game should be. It's just old.

You almost make it sound like rome was build in a day........GTR2 took a few years (inc GTR devlopment) and that was on tech we didnt build ourselves. With R3e we are basicly back at the beginning, but this time creating our own tech along the way. Right now its making its first (baby) steps in public, it needs time to mature for sure.

But sometimes progress means taking a step back and start everything from the beginning again.

A 24 hour day/night system that barely worked in GTR2, was very resource heavy, was flawed in many ways. That is not something you lift over and re-use in a new game, you look at it, you make notes, you throw it away and start over again....

Today's Simbin are not the same people who produced GTR2. Most of the people who brought you GTR2 now work for SMS.

SimBin is still SimBin. Some people left for Blimey and/or SMS no longer work there either, some of the people that left ahve worked for SimBin again, some left the game dev scene a long time ago. That is just how the cookie crumbles in the industry.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Simbin has chosen a path of mediocrity.
What is heartbreaking is that if they gave GTR2 to a company like REIZA so that they could fine tune the graphics to the level of GSC and keep many of the features, such as 24 hours races, weather, championships and so on, I cannot think of a single simracer that would have not bought the product the day of release. GTR2 is still the benchmark for what a simracing game should be. It's just old.

You are so right Corrado!

Personally, I think the video method of explaining answers is the best way to go. Thanks for this one.
I got a good sense that the Sim is in fairly early stages of development, but the intention / goals of Simbin seem is still positive.
Obviously, end users are anxious to get everything as soon as possible, but it is much better to keep the quality high. Looks like that will take time, so we need to be patient but optimistic.
Unfortunately, with most of the content being rather expensive, many of us are withholding spending lots more until we see more on actual racing than just hotlapping.

Im looking forward to the Ai in single player the fact that they will eventually adapt as my driving improves this is something that has always bugged me in other sims, once you learn were they drive you can see were to overtake them and before long any single player becomes quite stale. So having a Ai that will adapt with me depending on my driving is something to look forward to. It might give you the feeling that you are racing real drivers as each time you race against them they may be different... if this is done correctly it could be a great learning tool maybe even surpass the GTR2 driving school. (which I still use now) :)

Well looking at the way some drive online and seem to miss there break point or go straight at a corner on id day there are a few that don't seem to understand what a break marker is and how to use it :)
With the Simbin system the corner makers may be different what were used to but its still a marker for getting you distance to the corner and when you maybe should be breaking.
If were looking for realism then yes i like the numbered markers. But very rarely do i rely on these as they can be wiped out by a spinning car and all reference is lost..
So to me its not that bigger deal for there actual purpose but i do like to see them and would like them to be included.
And if you had of looked further into the vid you would of seen the answer in full.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 91 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 66 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 14.0%