R3E Pricing, Discounts, and Purchasing Tips

This is a rewrite of the excellent guide originally by @Kjell Eilertsen, to bring it up to date with current links and screenshots.

The sales and pricing model for RaceRoom is somewhat confusing for new players, and can certainly lead to more money being spent than is necessary. Following this guide could potentially save you a great deal of your hard-earned cash!

First of all, you can reach the R3E store either in-game or by clicking here. You will find the content under the various tabs for Cars, Tracks and Packs.

The first tip for purchasing R3E content, particularly if you are new to the sim, is to consider buying packs. The packs are bundles of content that are available for a substantially cheaper price than if you were to buy the included content individually. If you already own some of the content included in a pack then you will get a further discount on top.

You can see what discount you will receive by adding the pack to your cart, and then clicking the Checkout button. (Don't worry, it won't buy anything without confirmation!) The cart will also display the cost of the content in vRP, which comes in handy later in this guide.

Discount.png

But wait, don't buy anything yet as there are more savings to be had! As well as saving money by purchasing packs, you can also save by making those purchases in R3E's virtual currency, vRP. In order to do that you need to purchase vRP, a process which is cunningly hidden away on another store. You can reach that store by clicking here.

vRP.png

You will see a list of vRP packs in varying amounts. Notice that the more vRP you buy, the bigger the discount you get! This means that it may be worthwhile purchasing more vRP than you currently need, and saving it for future content that is yet to be released. Either way, making your purchase in vRP will save you money.

An example of how much you can save as someone who owns no content:

R3E Premium Pack: £100 direct from the store, or 9,999vRP.
10,000vRP voucher: £65
Total saving by making purchase in vRP: £35

So to summarise:
  • You can access the store from within R3E or via web browser here.
  • Add content to your cart to see it's cost in vRP, and to see any discounts that apply.
  • Go to this site and purchase vRP in order to save money when buying content.
  • Buying packs works out cheaper than buying it's content individually.
There's one final thing worth a mention in R3E's store... you can test drive any car you like, as many times as you like before deciding to purchase it! You're limited to driving on RaceRoom Raceway, but this is still enough to get a good feel for the car and see if it's something you want to drop some money on.

To access the test drive feature, simply head to the store from within R3E, choose a car you don't currently own, and click the test drive button. Simple!

Test.png

If you have any questions then please feel free to ask them here and we'll try to help you out. Now, go buy some content and sign up for some club races here at RaceDepartment! See you on track! :cool:

Last edited:
The initial post should prob say that when you buy that VRP, (after having to create another different account on a different web site) that you get a redeem code you then use in the main store on game.raceroom.com to use that vrp currency that you have just purchased.

I had to read pretty much this whole threads to work that out, it was somewhat confusing.
I would then have effectively three dif accounts: steam , game.raceroom and a www.raceroomstore.com account.

Just to get content for this game at a good price, my head is spinning....

And yes:
I understand the logic as steam takes a large cut of any purchases(and you can guess its around 30-50% based on this crazyness), and I have done similar thing with other games (IL2 Great Battles series has a similar system), however i only needed one other account separate to my steam account.

FYI:
Thanks for the guide, without it this would even more confusing to work out.

Last edited:
It might use steam account for One of the the extra 2 accounts but vrp site does not use a steam account. So its still effectively 2 extra accounts, most steam games have just steam.

Just saying...

External site is for raceroom, not raceroom racing experience, it makes a lot of sense it exist outside of steamworks. It offers mostly hardware.
Most games on steam is effortless shovelware, of course they dont need second account for store with mostly branded hardware

No reason to hide that first buying vrps one place and then get a code in your mailbox and then open your Raceroom account to input the code and then open the store to (hopefully) be able to use the vrps to buy the stuff - is a pretty awkward way of doing things.
Buit its probably the only way if Steam shall not tax you further.

Every time I need to buy a few things I have to read up on Garlands manual:roflmao:

But still no reason to hide its pretty awkward - and specially for new users.
Rhetorical: I dont know any other racing game where its nessesary that someone does write a manual to help people buying stuff.

I dont know any other racing game where its nessesary that someone does write a manual to help people buying stuff.
That would be because no other sim has this sales model. (Yes, I ignored the rhetorical tag!) :D

But I do agree that hiding vRP in a second store is a pretty dumb way of doing things, and not very user-friendly. You should be able to purchase vRP directly from the R3E store along with the content.

Agree. But actually Im not nitpicking here or just want to criticise - but I have actually seen a lot of times (hehe at least more than one :roflmao:) new people being so frustrated about this "issue" that they closed their wallet and commented that they would never return to this fu** game.:ninja:

And because I really like this game (specially after latest TM upd) I think a better attitude than hiding this payment issue is to open admit that it does annoy us all but thats how it is.
Much more constructive attitude against possible new users than the ostrich policy of hiding the head in the sand and deny problems:sneaky:

The alternative is we just pay 30% extra for everything and, guess what, people would complain.

It's not difficult. It's no different to buying an Amazon card from Tescos and then topping up your account - I don't see the issue?

The alternative is we just pay 30% extra for everything and, guess what, people would complain.

It's not difficult. It's no different to buying an Amazon card from Tescos and then topping up your account - I don't see the issue?
Actually it isn't the same thing.

Tesco is a physical store which many people use every day, so they're going to see the cards on offer. Also, they're gift cards which give you 1:1 credit to spend on Amazon's website. Their main purpose is exactly that... gifts, so that people can buy what they want... not an actual main purchasing method for everyday consumers. There is no advantage for people to use this method under normal circumstances.

vRP, on the other hand, is sold exclusively on a completely different website than the one it can actually be used on. (Owned by the same company, yet you need a different account to access it!) Said website is niche so has very low traffic, the only likely visitors being those who already know it exists, and/or those who are Googling for things unrelated to R3E. The link to get to that site from the R3E store is buried where few will see it, leaving many not realising that it's even an option. vRP is also not a gift card, it is a viable method for everyone to get massive discounts on everything they buy.

The whole setup is therefore pretty daft. The more cynical might think it's deliberately convoluted so that people will pay full price without realising that there's a better way. However, since Steam take a huge cut on all sales made without vRP, chances are that RaceRoom is losing more than the discount would be through these transactions. So it's just a dumb system which nobody has ever gotten around to fixing, by the looks of things.

The whole setup is therefore pretty daft. The more cynical might think it's deliberately convoluted so that people will pay full price without realising that there's a better way. However, since Steam take a huge cut on all sales made without vRP, chances are that RaceRoom is losing more than the discount would be through these transactions. So it's just a dumb system which nobody has ever gotten around to fixing, by the looks of things.
Haha the first 2 times I bought something I actually payed full price - before I realised I had been fooled.:sleep:
But eventhough I consider myself (a tiny bit :roflmao: ) cynical I didnt suspect this transaction setup were deliberately setup to fool me.
I just thought: Oh man how stupid can you be...:rolleyes:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back