R3E | New RaceRoom Update Adds Many Physics Improvements

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience has been deployed - adding a substantial number of physics improvements for an array of content within the game.

The new 1.1gb update is available to sim racers who next fire up their RaceRoom Racing Experience game install, and within that download comes a nice selection of changes - including an sizeable number of physics improvements applied to a various vehicles currently available within the game.

As well as physics and tyre model updates, several tracks have also been tweaked to produce a better AI experience in single player mode - all of which should make for an improved offline experience.

New content fans will have to wait for a little while longer to get their hands on the new Daytona road course and Porsche RSR, both of which are expected to be made available to the simulation in the near future.

Update Notes:
  • Controllers - Updated default FFB settings for Logitech G27
  • Controllers - Logitech wheels now have “sine” curb wave type and reduced minimum force value.
  • Controllers - Sim-Plicity: set all wave types to sine
  • Controllres - Thrustmaster: reduced minimum force value
  • Multiplayer - Server list now shows which of the three possible race sessions is currently running (R, R2, R3)
  • Fixed an issue with Fastest Lap notifications on the HUD that were not displaying properly
  • Fixed some Default Controller Profiles that were showing up as customized in the menu
  • Fixed player getting automatically DNF’d when they run out of fuel even though their vehicle is still moving. You can now crawl all the way to the finish line as long as your car moves.
  • Fixed a game crash that would occur when entering instant replay while using the pitstop menu
Content updates:
  • BMW M1 Procar - Updated physics and tyre model
  • BMW M3 GT2 - Fixed weird noises heard on downshifts coming from opponent cars in multiplayer
  • DTM 92 - Improved gearbox behaviour, updated drivetrain oscillations to give less in lower gears and more in high gears
  • Group 4 - Updated physics and tyre model
  • Group C - Updated physics and tyre model
  • Mercedes DTM 1995 - Updated physics and tyre model
  • Mercedes DTM 2005 - Updated physics and tyre model
  • Porsche 911 Carrera (964) - Updated physics and tyre model
  • Porsche 911 RSR 2019 - Various art tweaks to liveries
  • Tatuus F4 - Fixed launch control for this car, updated its default gear ratios for each track
  • Touring Classics - Improved gearbox behaviour, updated drivetrain oscillations to give less in lower gears and more in high gears
  • AI - Formula RaceRoom US: general improvement to AI behaviour
  • Dubai - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Nordschleife - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Norisring - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Nuerburgring Sprint - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Oschersleben - Fixed an issue with invisible objects on the grass at the pit exit. Tweak to terrain textures.
  • Sachsenring - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Shanghai - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Sonoma - Tweaks to AI behaviour. Fixed the dried grass surrounding the track that has always been wrongly assigned the gravel properties. It’s now proper dry grass when you drive on it.
  • Spa-Francorchamps - Tweaks to AI behaviour
  • Suzuka - Fixed a possible cut detection during pitstops
  • Zhuhai - Tweaks to AI behaviour

Original Source: Sector3 Studios

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively for PC.

Want to know how to make the most of the simulation? Start a thread in the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum and let our awesome community help you out!

RaceRoom Racing Experience Update 1.jpg

Last edited:
My most raced Sim of 2020, purely down to the Ranked Servers, Leaderboard challenges (damn that Porsche @ Spa is a tough one!) and subsequent Race Events (BRRC for one), plus the added bonus of very decent AI coupled with an Offline Championship.

Whilst I don't care two jots about "looks" (it looks just fine to me!) I do agree it needs investment in the Engine/Performance area and most notably from a DX11 upgrade. Whilst I've got VR working very well it does struggle at times and in some odd places, so a performance boost wouldn't go amiss.

Love R3E. I also love searching for high quality mods for AC and rF2, but there's something liberating about having a Self-contained game with such a variety in official content of consistent high quality, same with AMS2. Their time trials are awesome. I also really like their new setup screens with the visualization of the default settings and how much you changed from those.

I'm loving Raceroom right now, especially with the latest few updates. Such an underrated sim in terms of content and physics (which get better with every update by the way). It's really surprising to me that way more people don't play this title. It rarely gets mentioned in comparisons with iracing, acc, project cars 2 etc and I just don't know why. Slightly dated graphics in comparison with other sims? Perceptions around the (admittedly slightly complex) pricing model? I'm not sure but it's a real shame.

We just need a full 24hr day/night cycle and real-time dynamic track progression for build up of racing line etc and I would be in absolute sim heaven!

By the way, has anyone tried the cars with updated physics or any of the tracks with ai improvements yet?

Would be nice if they gave a bit more detail other than "updated physics and tyre model"
I was tempted to fully agree with that - but thinking twice then what should they say?
I mean without describing how the TM and physics is actually working in the code.

By the way, has anyone tried the cars with updated physics or any of the tracks with ai improvements yet?
I have tested the upd Nissan Group C on Lakeview. And you can see my critique in another thread here.
I consider the result of the TM upd to be more "flimsy"/unstable than before. Even if you up the RWing to max it feels like the car have recieved lowered grip. But I consider it also to be manageable after some time.
My main critique is the downgrade(IMO) of the gear shift down lock. Its impossible to know when/if the car does actually shift down. And after 2-3 blip down you either crash or just accept to stay in too high a gear in the following corner. There was also a lock in the car before but it was manageable and urgent: predictable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't push the button...maybe wait some years to change their graphics engine?
That's only a problem if graphics is all you care about, and the reality is that they're really not as bad as people try to make out.

I've been on the wall with R3E, sure I've a couple of hours in the demo, but that's it. So the question is, is this worth going all in on, basically go for the mega superduper package that contains all content to date?
Why not spend some time test driving cars from the store? You're limited to one track, but you can test any car you like as many times as you like. That will give you a far better idea of whether R3E and it's content are your thing than just trying the free stuff.

I wouldn't push the button...maybe wait some years to change their graphics engine? (lol)
Im absolutely not defending anything here - just for defending - but I have to admit that if I take the actual graphical look of Raceroom both live and specially in replay none of the other racing games on my HD looks better (rF2, ACC, AMS2 hehe and iRacing as I remember it ;) ).
If I should play devils advocate then most of you who are pleading for a DX11 update do it just because you KNOW Raceroom are only running DX9.:sneaky:
If the Racerooms devs played some game and told everybody that Raceroom was updated to DX11 then most people would say Thank you but why did it take so long.:sneaky:

The only reason I can see is because DX11 use the PC resources slightly better so as example the VR guys will get better experience.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Im quite honest when I say that on my system Raceroom looks either just as good as the mentioned competition or factual better.
And eventhough Im on a older system (Xeon x5670/GTX 1060/1680x1050) then because of the resolution I can use more or less highest/ultra settings.:thumbsup:

I have tested the upd Nissan Group C on Lakeview. And you can see my critique in another thread here.
I consider the result of the TM upd to be more "flimsy"/unstable than before. Even if you up the RWing to max it feels like the car have recieved lowered grip. But I consider it also to be manageable after some time.
My main critique is the downgrade(IMO) of the gear shift down lock. Its impossible to know when/if the car does actually shift down. And after 2-3 blip down you either crash or just accept to stay in too high a gear in the following corner. There was also a lock in the car before but it was manageable and urgent: predictable.

Thanks @BrunoB. I've obviously never driven a Group C car in real life but I can't imagine these things were ever too stable and grippy, so perhaps as long as it's still 'manageable' to haul around then that might not be a bad thing overall. Bit concerning about your observation on the downshift though, maybe the Sector 3 devs will have a look at that if there's an issue.

One of the problems with an update on a car you personally was very satisfied with before the update is that it will almost allways feels like a step down(downgrade).
In the beginning.;)

I realised this with the huge physics upd in dec - which made my 3x beloved FR90 formula cars baaad.
I just felt that the car behaviour was complately spoiled.:sleep:

But then a few weeks later I felt that I had to make an excuse to the devs responsible for the physics upd - because now I had got accustomed to the new behaviour.
Thats the reason Im a bit hesitant this time to criticise the change in the group C cars behaviour.

But my critique and irritation of the spoiled shift down lock has not anything to do with change in TM/physics.
Eventhough there is probably allways a possibility of an unintended influence from the physics change. :whistling:

EDIT:
@Alex Hodgkinson Why are you allways posting something at the same time when I try to be polite and explain myself?
Conserning your just posted "the cars are more stable and planted. "
Hmmm. Are we talking about the same sim and the same car(s).
No seriously. The shift down thing gives me migrane:poop: - If this was RL and you was my team manager I would find an italian hitman - fast:sneaky:

• Deleted member 197115

Contentwise it's probably my no.1 sim (so much historic content) but performancewise it's the worst in VR. They need DX11.
I actually like it mostly because of how great VR looks. The driving itself is meh, not bad, but not stellar either.

I have just checked the other Group C the Porsche 9something out.:confused:
Probably the same guy who have had his fingers into the Nissans gearbox has also tried to spoil the 5gear Porsches box.
But it feels like the garage boss(@Alex Hodgkinson?) has yelled: Dont change it too much bro - because we have some quarreling customers who dont like too much lock down patronizing.
Because the lock down thing on the Porsche isnt spoiled so much as the Nissan.:rolleyes:
But the behaviour(TM&physics) of the Porsche feels just as much changed as the poor Nissan.:sleep:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: @Alex Hodgkinson - keep yours and the gearbox guys fingers away from my beloved FR90´ers.
They are allmost my only refugee left in Raceroom. :ninja:

Im new in this game, i only play single, not online.

I have to say that the AI of this game is very nice, i play a lot DTM and 105% of difficult is very challenger and fun.

I know that is a old subject but if they spend money to complete the GTs field with the most popular brands would be a must have game.

Imagine this game with the same array of cars of Project Cars 2?

I've been on the wall with R3E, sure I've a couple of hours in the demo, but that's it. So the question is, is this worth going all in on, basically go for the mega superduper package that contains all content to date?
You can test drive all cars for free, on one of the standard tracks. Just try the basic content, or buy the small track pack. If you still like it, go all in!

I was in the same wall 2 month ago. When i realized that i could race against AI i downloaded and gave a try buying the DTM 2014 experience pack (came with all DTM 2014 cars, drivers and tracks) in steam.

I got surprised how good this game is, give a try.

If you like it you can buy the cars, packs and tracks separately.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back