R3E: Group C Porsche 962 Team Joest & Nissan R90CK Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Nissan R90C.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience will be getting some Group C action as part of the next update, with the Porsche 962 Team Joest & Nissan R90CK joining the simulation.

Long held in the highest regard by motorsport aficionados as one of the finest eras of sportscar racing, the now legendary Group C era is about to be relived once again thanks to Sector3 Studios - the Swedish development team having confirmed both the stunning Porsche 962 and the equally impressive Nissan R90CK will be heading to the sim as part of the upcoming new build update.

R3E Porsche 964 C.jpg

Featuring more horsepower than grid, manual gearboxes and striking aerodynamic designs, the Group C category of racing held strong throughout the 1980's and early 1990's as the very pinnacle of long distance endurance racing. Featuring some of the biggest names of world motorsport during the period, it is incredibly exciting to see these kinds of car coming to RaceRoom in the very near future.

Stay tuned for a little talk and drive in the new Porsche on Friday 15th March at 20:00 UTC on our RaceDepartment Twitch channel*

* doesn't include the Nissan as I wasn't sure if this was to be announced at the time of recording... sorry!

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a PC exclusive racing simulation from Sector3 Studios, and is available to download now.

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RD to join in the discussion, find some awesome League and Club Racing events, and of course download a mod or two as well..

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Was the Peugeot 905 introduced a year later than this 2? If not that would make a great addition too.
I don't remember a good sim having a good 905

I agree a great car but a little too advanced against the 962 et al. The 905 was the same era as the XJR-14. Both belonged to the 3.5l F1 Engine style regulations and were a huge leap in performance. So not a good match although I'm sure they raced against one another in real life occasionally.

I remember being at Le Mans in'93 and the 905's were just massively faster than everything else. Although it was a little bit like the situation with Toyota now in the WEC.

I'm still waiting patiently for the XJR-14 mod to be completed for AC. Getting there slowly but the guy making it has a very busy life at work at well, which is fine :)

Again, quite appealing and interesting content for Raceroom once again, that I would buy right away if it wasn't for the platform. But as with other content in the game, it is let down by missing features in the sim. Until that is solved, I will have to give this a miss.

I think R3E's approach should be applauded, criticism they seem to welcome but lets be fair. A small company that I feel is approaching a breakout have developed something that has no gimmicks, like some others. If you want to consider the leaderboard a gimmick feel free, although I like it.
It is easy for me to say day night and rain really don't appeal to me as I have a difficult enough time and trying to be quick in the dry and daylight. And for those of you pining for it, from a selfish point of view, I hope it is a long one.
But as long as S3 continues on this path of development of AI, nice mix of old and new race cars, a few more of tracks most of us know and maintains the integrity of the game (no snow at night on Bathurst with F1 cars, please) I have put all other sims on the back burner...bar none.

I would love that aswell. The LC2 is one of my favorite Group C car, especially because of its awesome Ferrari V8 twin-Turbo engine sound. Sadly, Lancia is licensed by Fiat/Ferrari Group, which has never been possible for us so far :(

Also, the LC2 would be totally blown up by the R90 and the 962 Joest performance wise, but for such a nice design I think I would accept a crazy BOP :D
The LC2 had a lock on pole position in 1983 vs the 956, but you’re right about it’s performance fading with time. But the ‘83 is such a gorgeous car in Martini livery. I hope one day we’ll see it somehow.

Thanks for replying. Can’t wait to drive your Group C’s with amazing sound as always!

I saw a post about the unraced Alfa up above, maybe the Sauber C292?
mercedes_benz_c292_goodwood_08082017_123.jpg

Or, I would like to see the IMSA Corvette GTP, nobody has ever made this car for sim racing!
CorvetteGTP.jpg

(Then again, I'm American, talking about an American constructor in an American series, and most of the world does not care, but I digress)

Or, I would like to see the IMSA Corvette GTP, nobody has ever made this car for sim racing!
CorvetteGTP.jpg

(Then again, I'm American, talking about an American constructor in an American series, and most of the world does not care, but I digress)
At least we have its successor in many games, both mod and official :)

To be fair, they are not masters of their own destiny and must work within the time constraints placed on them.
I mean, it's not a hard thing (certainly easier than making new cars and tracks) but an important thing. We all know how tyre pressure will affect car's performance on the track, it's almost a "core component" yet we can only adjust it in R3E after all these years.

I'm not blaming Sector3 or whatever, I just can't believe they put such thing almost at the end of their TODO list.

Last edited:
at the end of their TODO list.
You've not been listening old bean, we're only at the end of the beginning at RR. First you assemble a team, then you outplay the opposition. How many iterations of Rally have Codies knocked out in 6 years? Not one of them flawless and as for their latest DR2, looks lovely, still runs very poorly on my system and that's after going 2 weeks with no co-driver. S3 had a poor core product that has been fettled into a class competing Sim. So called core features can now be trickled into the title due to the years of groundwork that's been accomplished.
I appreciate the fact we have titles like RR, AMS & rF2, ongoing projects, that if you wish, you can get involved in the development just by contributing on their forums, I support all 3 but spend the majority of my driving time in RR through personal choice but respect all 3 developers vision and hard work, plus competition benefits all. I reckon the future looks bright for RR, especially if they keep upping the feature count and producing historical beauties like the 934 then I'm more than happy to be in for the long haul, not about the end result for me, it's about the journey.
RR til I die! (waking up every morning these days is a nice surprise, rather than a given, so..........)

We all know how tyre pressure will affect car's performance on the track, it's almost a "core component" yet we can only adjust it in R3E after all these years.

I still don't get why it's apparently such a big deal that we don't have adjustable tyre pressures in Raceroom, and yet it's considered perfectly fine that in rF2 you always drop the pressures as low as they will go to be faster, or in AC tyre temperatures don't really matter when it comes to grip levels as long as you have correct pressures, or in iRacing the colder the tyres, the more grip you have... I mean I would consider all of these to be more important flaws of the respective tyre models than the option to adjust tyre pressures, but for some reason they don't seem to be.

This generation high power racing car (Gr. B Gr. C F1 etc) is a horrible beast!
The R90CK and 962C are no exception.
Beginners, as well as intermediates, will be bitten by serious beasts and seriously injured! !
I can't wait to get on that radical and exciting racing car.
My G29 + Shifter gets a lot of fever

I still don't get why it's apparently such a big deal that we don't have adjustable tyre pressures in Raceroom, and yet it's considered perfectly fine that in rF2 you always drop the pressures as low as they will go to be faster, or in AC tyre temperatures don't really matter when it comes to grip levels as long as you have correct pressures, or in iRacing the colder the tyres, the more grip you have... I mean I would consider all of these to be more important flaws of the respective tyre models than the option to adjust tyre pressures, but for some reason they don't seem to be.

Yeah man, dont you get it?

It's more important to have the option for something to be objectively wrong than it is for that option to not even exist in the first place.

Anyways, great... now I'm having flashbacks to AC's modern F1 tires where you need to use minimum pressure in your setup just to be somewhat close to the optimal pressure when they are hot... and for them to be screaming at 120+C. :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 256 13.4%