R3E fubared after new Install

After re-installing R3E I have a strange problem in VR: when I start R3E, the screen is down below my feet somewhere, and doesn't react to the "VR center" button ( which I setup in normal mode btw, before I tried to start VR )
Ideas anybody?

The VR centre control not working in the menus is a known bug since the latest patch, and they're working on a hotfix. It works fine when you are in a car though, so if possible use your monitor for the menus initially, get in a car, centre the view, and then the menus will be centred too.

The VR centre control not working in the menus is a known bug since the latest patch, and they're working on a hotfix. It works fine when you are in a car though, so if possible use your monitor for the menus initially, get in a car, centre the view, and then the menus will be centred too.
I tried clicking on the buttons in the start UI, but it's so far under me that I can't even see the mouse pointer, and it doesn't react to "enter" either. I'll just have to wait till they get their act together, in the meantime I've still got rF2 (my main Sim anyway ), and PC2 to drive with. I hope they get it sorted soon, R3e was always a bit buggy in VR anyway, the worst of all the Sims I drive. rF2 and PC2 just work, always.

Ok... is there a problem with your monitor? Like I said, the monitor works fine regardless of your VR position because the menus are locked to your screen. Or at least, that's how it works with my Rift. Use your monitor to get into a car, hit VR reset, menus will be repositioned in VR and usable again.

R3e was always a bit buggy in VR anyway, the worst of all the Sims I drive.
In your experience, perhaps. R3E has always worked just fine in VR for me with no messing about. This minor view reset bug is the first issue I've had and is easily worked around. In contrast, I had various issues getting things set up properly in PC2 (which wasn't even worth the hassle in the end), so that's hardly an example of VR done perfectly.

Ok... is there a problem with your monitor? Like I said, the monitor works fine regardless of your VR position because the menus are locked to your screen. Or at least, that's how it works with my Rift. Use your monitor to get into a car, hit VR reset, menus will be repositioned in VR and usable again.

In your experience, perhaps. R3E has always worked just fine in VR for me with no messing about. This minor view reset bug is the first issue I've had and is easily worked around. In contrast, I had various issues getting things set up properly in PC2 (which wasn't even worth the hassle in the end), so that's hardly an example of VR done perfectly.

It has definitely something to do with either R3E or Steam: AccuRC, rF2, PC2, Dirt Rally, ACC, KartKraft etc all work perfectly fine, thankyou. My monitor is a 34" 21:9 LG btw, although my monitor has nothing to do with my problem anyway, for the fault at hand it's completely irrelevant, but I digress.
So, another attempt to describe what I'm experiencing: when I start R3E in Oculus VR mode )( I have a Rift S btw ), the programm starts, I can see the R3E start screen in my display, but the next stage of the UI is down below my feet. And when I take off my Rift S, and look at my monitor, it is black, nothing. I have to kill R3E in the task manager to get out again.
After re-installing R3E (after I built a new gaming machine two weeks ago ), I of course set all the menues up in 2D mode before I tried VR, including VR centering, I'm not a complete beginner
My new gaming box has a Gigabyte Z390 Aourus Pro Wi-Fi MB, i7 9700K CPU, 32 gb Kingston Hyper X Memory, MSI 1080 GPU, and all cooled with Noctua Fans in a Corsair Obsidian 750D case. It's running a squeeky-clean, updated version of Win 10 Pro and runs everything perfectly wonderfully in every respect, apart from R3E in VR.
So, now that we've got that out of the way, and established what's not causing my problem, have you any constructive advise as to what it could be?

@GuitarTech Have you bound a key to toggle the monitor on/off?

I cannot remember where exactly, but you will find the option to do that via the in game settings. You should then be able to mirror your HMD onto the monitor to see what you are doing until a fix is rolled out.

@GuitarTech Have you bound a key to toggle the monitor on/off?

I cannot remember where exactly, but you will find the option to do that via the in game settings. You should then be able to mirror your HMD onto the monitor to see what you are doing until a fix is rolled out.
Good call, but I have never deliberatly activated it, and I have no idea where to find it in R3E. I know rF2 has it in the settings in the opening screen. I'll take a look in the config. file, maybe I'll get lucky ;)

Good call, but I have never deliberatly activated it, and I have no idea where to find it in R3E. I know rF2 has it in the settings in the opening screen. I'll take a look in the config. file, maybe I'll get lucky ;)

No need to edit config files, luckily. This can be done in-game.

Just found these instructions via the Steam forums. Hopefully they will help :)

Settings / Options

In the Control Settings, under "Secondary Functions", you will find a set of controls you can map that are VR specific:

VR Toggle Monitor View - This will spawn a new game window that you can use to stream/record in-game footage, or show to bystanders on a standard monitor. It will use the resolution that you have set for the game while outside of VR

No need to edit config files, luckily. This can be done in-game.

Just found these instructions via the Steam forums. Hopefully they will help :)

Settings / Options

In the Control Settings, under "Secondary Functions", you will find a set of controls you can map that are VR specific:

VR Toggle Monitor View - This will spawn a new game window that you can use to stream/record in-game footage, or show to bystanders on a standard monitor. It will use the resolution that you have set for the game while outside of VR

Tried this but didn't do anything, image is still stuck below me and options are unreadable

I saw on the Sector3 forms a few others with the same issue.
Someone who responded said they read the Devs are aware of it and will patch it in the next update? sure hope the fix comes sooner than the next update!

Another issue I have is the steam homepage for Raceroom is stuck to the ceiling of my WMR portal home....neither steam or Raceroom are running?

Last edited:
After re-installing R3E I have a strange problem in VR: when I start R3E, the screen is down below my feet somewhere, and doesn't react to the "VR center" button ( which I setup in normal mode btw, before I tried to start VR )
Ideas anybody?

Pretty sure this happened to me with my Oculus Quest in Link mode, but was resolved when I used my Vive. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

It's just strange that all my other stuff works perfectly. And as I used a WMR Acer, the predecessor of my Rift S, the only sim that ever caused problems with starting VR was, you've guessed it, R3E. Although in all fairness, I'm not 100% sure that R3E is solely to blame: the Steam VR App, despite being in Beta for what seems like forever, is still as buggy as hell. For every bug that they fix, they break something else, or at least that is the impression I have.
Thank goodness that rF2 and PC2 work flawlessly, and always have done, at least for me.

Sorry that the suggestion didn't help you guys out :( I use the Samsung Odyssey and have never had any issues although I must admit that I haven't played R3E for a good few months now.

Maybe it got broken with the latest update?

Sorry that the suggestion didn't help you guys out :( I use the Samsung Odyssey and have never had any issues although I must admit that I haven't played R3E for a good few months now.

Maybe it got broken with the latest update?
I'm thinking that too, either R3Es Update or Steam VR. Maybe they'll fix it soon, Who knows? It would be interesting to see if it still works for you;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%