R3E fubared after new Install

After re-installing R3E I have a strange problem in VR: when I start R3E, the screen is down below my feet somewhere, and doesn't react to the "VR center" button ( which I setup in normal mode btw, before I tried to start VR )
Ideas anybody?

So, now that we've got that out of the way, and established what's not causing my problem, have you any constructive advise as to what it could be?
You really need to keep calm and read what I'm saying, without automatically thinking that I'm blaming the issue on you or your hardware. I'm trying to help you, and I know the solution I am attempting to explain works because I am using it myself every time I start the game since the patch! Let me try a step-by-step instead.

1. Start R3E in regular 2D mode so that it displays on your monitor.
  2. Go to Control Settings => Edit Assignments. Scroll down to the VR section and assign a key to Toggle Monitor View.
  3. Exit the game, and restart it in VR mode. Do NOT put on your headset yet, watch your monitor.
  4. If you see the menus, great. If all you see is a black screen, press your Toggle Monitor View key. (You may have to wait a minute or two for the game to fully load and get to the menu screens for this to work.)
  5. Now that you can see the menus on your monitor, head into whatever game mode you like, and click Drive from the pit menu.
  6. Now put on your VR headset, sit as you normally would, and press your Reset Position key.
  7. Your VR view will be reset in the car, and also in the menus.
This is because, as I explained above, the bug is that the reset function works in cars but not in the menus. It's a known issue, they're working on a fix, and the above is a very simple workaround to get racing until that fix is released.

As an aside, you might want to be a little less hostile to those trying to help you in future, or people simply won't bother.

You really need to keep calm and read what I'm saying, without automatically thinking that I'm blaming the issue on you or your hardware. I'm trying to help you, and I know the solution I am attempting to explain works because I am using it myself every time I start the game since the patch! Let me try a step-by-step instead.

1. Start R3E in regular 2D mode so that it displays on your monitor.
  2. Go to Control Settings => Edit Assignments. Scroll down to the VR section and assign a key to Toggle Monitor View.
  3. Exit the game, and restart it in VR mode. Do NOT put on your headset yet, watch your monitor.
  4. If you see the menus, great. If all you see is a black screen, press your Toggle Monitor View key. (You may have to wait a minute or two for the game to fully load and get to the menu screens for this to work.)
  5. Now that you can see the menus on your monitor, head into whatever game mode you like, and click Drive from the pit menu.
  6. Now put on your VR headset, sit as you normally would, and press your Reset Position key.
  7. Your VR view will be reset in the car, and also in the menus.
This is because, as I explained above, the bug is that the reset function works in cars but not in the menus. It's a known issue, they're working on a fix, and the above is a very simple workaround to get racing until that fix is released.

As an aside, you might want to be a little less hostile to those trying to help you in future, or people simply won't bother.
Thankyou for the detailed instructions this time; if you'd replied with this last time, instead of casting doubts on my monitor, I wouldn't have been so shirty. And last night I was ready to kill anything anyway, as I couldn't eat anything due to an examination at the doctor today (which was ok in the end, no cancer :thumbsup: )
I'm not at my best when I am hungry, a typical primitive man ;)
I'll check it out now, the hot-fix mentioned elsewhere doesn't work for me unfortunately :(

Thankyou for the detailed instructions this time; if you'd replied with this last time, instead of casting doubts on my monitor, I wouldn't have been so shirty. And last night I was ready to kill anything anyway, as I couldn't eat anything due to an examination at the doctor today (which was ok in the end, no cancer :thumbsup: )
I'm not at my best when I am hungry, a typical primitive man ;)
I'll check it out now, the hot-fix mentioned elsewhere doesn't work for me unfortunately :(
Thankyou for the detailed instructions :thumbsup:
It works :)
That’s the first time I've seen R3E in VR since I built the new sim box. A solid 80fps with everything maxed out. Looks fantastic!
Will they be fixing this properly some time soon?

No change for me, just tried it :( Back to the drawing board, Carruthers :D

I just gave it a try after downloading the latest update.

The toggle monitor function didn't work for me even though I had a key mapped.
What I did was to delete the mapped key (in my case, M) and reassigned the same key again. Once I did that it worked again.

Could you try doing the same thing as it might work for you too.

Edit: I just saw that your medical test went well which is great news :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just gave it a try after downloading the latest update.

The toggle monitor function didn't work for me even though I had a key mapped.
What I did was to delete the mapped key (in my case, M) and reassigned the same key. Once I did that it worked again.

Could you try doing the same thing as it might work for you too.
I already did, also using the M key as it happens. M for monitor I thought. I had to press M a couple of times, but in the end it works. It's a bit tedious altogether, to be able to start it normally, without jumping through hoops of fire and doing a handstand would be nicer though :D
I don't understand why it takes so long to fix these things, but then I'm just a humble luthier and musician, what do I know? ;)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

So the game supposed to be shown on mirror screen?
I have black mirror screen myself but no other ill effects in VR, for floor position I just press Reset VR button once game loads.
Make sure to disable VSync in driver or game start running at 60fps.

• Deleted member 197115

Looks like that Toggle Monitor just enables mirror screen that can put more drag on GPU, not sure why it's advised.

• Deleted member 197115

Another thing, set time progression to 0x, it kills performance on some tracks, Nord 24 is a dog with 1x.

Looks like that Toggle Monitor just enables mirror screen that can put more drag on GPU, not sure why it's advised.
You only need to enable mirror screen if your system doesn't react to the VR center key during the start sequence ( like on my system ), then you have the VR screen down below between your feet somewhere, and you can't even see to use the mouse to select menu points.
So, you can enable mirror screen to be able to select everything using the mouse in Pancake Mode, and then change to VR when you're sitting in the cockpit.
If you're worried about extra GPU load, just toggle the mirror screen off again when you're in the cockpit so you're running exclusively in VR. I haven't noticed any difference one way or the other with my OC'd 1080, but YMMV :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back