Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The epic 90's era open wheel Formula RaceRoom 90 is coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience very soon, and we go out on track and give it a whirl.

Now I'll have to admit open wheel cars aren't always my car of choice when going sim racing these days, but the idea of a car loosely based on a very early 1990's F1 type machine certainly peaked my interest when it was announced as coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience by Sector3 Studios.

With this particular machine coming in three different flavours, V8, V10 and V12 to be precise, we thought it might be fun to head on over to the beautiful Imola circuit and put the V8 version through its paces, while sharing our thoughts and opinions on how the car stacks up in sim.

Lots of power, basic aerodynamics, understeer leading to oversteer and a wailing engine kicking out heavenly noises through the exhaust. How epic does that sound?

The Formula RaceRoom 90 is expected to be made available for purchase in RaceRoom Racing Experience within the next few days.

For more R3E fun, have a gander at our RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Here you can catch the latest news and gossip about the sim, and also take part in our awesome RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club - a great place to enjoy organised and clean online racing fun!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Lol, sadly its just as bad further up the slider, the only difference, once field spread kicks in I'm getting left for dust
Obviously I can't speak for the new cars, but it normally requires a bit of training to get the AI to the right level, but when you do they are generally the nearest to humans I've came across. Even at my pace I can get wheel to wheel action.
I know you don't have the time to devote to this, but Lars Hansen has produced a very good tutorial on how to train the AI and the way it works.

Great video thanks Paul. Always worth watching!

Must say I'm with Kenny P and Rory W on the AI - I just don't see the problems you describe here when I've got the AI set properly. (Lap 1 Turn 1 is another matter... / and of course I've never tried the FR90 AI).

The critical thing is to get the AI matching your pace. If AI is too slow you WILL ram them as you brake later. If AI is too fast for you they will (sometimes) ram you as they expect you to be as quick as they are.

In the video, once you finally got past Staedel (and I understand it's a talk and drive where you're concentrating on two things at once - so no criticism there :D) you put over three seconds on him in a lap and a half. Given the difference in pace its no wonder (at least to me) that you were constantly in danger of hitting him.

Setting up the AI is as important as getting your wheel right, getting your FFB right and everything else right. And it's wonderfully rewarding when you do so.

Thanks again for the video and apologies for the, ahem, lecture :rolleyes: on the AI.

Do i get this right? Are they going to sell one fantasy F1-car with three different car-sounds as three separate car-purchases? If that's the case, i wait for the 90's Imola for rF2 and give the MP4/8 a bit more attention or any of this F1 90's mods i saw in the workshop:whistling:.

Do i get this right? Are they going to sell one fantasy F1-car with three different car-sounds as three separate car-purchases? If that's the case, i wait for the 90's Imola for rF2 and give the MP4/8 a bit more attention or any of this F1 90's mods i saw in the workshop:whistling:.
Maybe you should wait until you have all info and know how much they will cost before start moaning :whistling:

Maybe you should wait until you have all info and know how much they will cost before start moaning :whistling:
I'm playing Raceroom since early 2015 and bought enough content to estimate the prices, but yes, i hope they surprise us with the price. I'm just saying that one 3D-model without licensing costs and rather little handling-differences is worth less than the two Group C cars from April for me. And the Nissan is pretty much useless because of the superior 962 C, which S3S didn't fix so far.

And if any cars in sim-racing are rather pure guess-work, it's F1, especially without licensing. Maybe different with the mentioned McLaren plus the others in rF2, because S397 seems to have a relationship with this car-company and might have provide data you can't get out of books and the internet. And just as a reminder: The McLaren-F1s are for free together with performance-matching March and Brabham F1 cars for rF2. I was driving three of them recently and all feels like the best you can get in sim-racing with better working AI (even not perfect). And almost all tracks have changed since the 90's and there are no historic tracks in RR so far. I will give this upcoming content a pass.

Last edited:
Just popping in to apologise again to Paul for questioning his judgement on the AI.:redface:

I've been racing these cars for a couple of days now (and they are great!!) but I just had an AI car in free air brake 3-400 metres from the first chicane at Monza. Lost my front wing.

Shall be putting in a bug report... although I know they know...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.3%