R3E: Formula RaceRoom 2 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
fr2.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today made available the first open wheel racing car to be released on their free to play platform, RaceRoom Racing Experience.

Available to purchase via the in game store, a field of 24 identical totally-not-GP2 racing cars each with a unique livery will cost 349RVP. Generating up to 1.7 tonne of downforce at full speed, this is a high downforce car that shares many visual characteristics with the Formula One support series of GP2.

Significant work has been undertaken by the developers of R3E to bring this car to the title, featuring a new driver model as well as animated suspension and a new approach to the driving physics, hopefully providing an entertaining drive for racers of the sim.

As discussed in our recent interview with the guys over at Sector3, the Formula RaceRoom 2 will be the first of several open wheel cars to join the sim in the coming year.

Be sure to check out the RaceDepartment R3E Racing Club in the coming weeks for any opportunities to race this car, or any other of the impressive selection of vehicles in game, with your fellow sim racers.

Below you can find an in game video of these cars racing round Belgian circuit Spa Francorchamps.

Have you tried the new open wheel FR2 in game yet? What are your experiences? Do you intend to purchase this content if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below!

fr2 2.jpg fr2 3.jpg fr2 4.jpg fr2 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to test this one, normally prefer open wheelers :). Now if only R3E had custom skins, especially for these cars (which don't look like gp2 at all :roflmao:) that would add a lot imo.

Finally. One of the most fun additions i've driven in sim racing. Good to see Sector 3 go from strength to strength. Now with TT Cup and this open wheeler, i would say that coupled with the fact that AC turned into a road car racer with sometimes flaky FF and a core engine and AI routines that is still sub-par, despite a long time of development... RaceRoom now not only matches but actually crushes AC completely when it comes to racing. For road cars and hot lapping Gran Turismo style AC is shining on PC... For racing thrills, RaceRoom is the serious choice right now. Sector 3 has momentum and the new physics models (TT Cup, DTM 2015) are amazing.

So now that a decent open wheeler is in RR my view is that rF2 is still king for serious leagues, due to its customizability, RR is king for offline (adaptive AI is awesome) and the feel of actual race weekends, while AC remains a hot lap sim for guys wanting to race road cars beating online leaderboards.

In fact, Kunos negligance is allowing the competition to beat them. Run a race with adaptive ai tuned in with these in RaceRoom, at a silky smooth 60fps without a hitch, with sound on max and a good wheel and just feel the fun factor. Then go to AC and run the Formula Abarths at a stuttery 60ish fps (due to rendering issues still) against an AI that still is technically inferior (laugh at first turn at Monza) and listen to the vacuum cleaner sound and marvel at the still not fixed FFB dullness. All while not being able to run the full weekend (still, after all this dev time). Then you will see why this is the thing right now, hopefully :)

In all honesty, is the FR2 as "real" as the F2 in rFactor2? No. Is it more fun? Definitely. It is like MADE for having tight races online.

Hello Reik

This is for the best drivers, I think I win this one (just kidding but must try asap :)

http://game.raceroom.com/competitions/561/leaderboard

My current challenge (Position 58 not bad)

http://game.raceroom.com/competitions/537/leaderboard

I Would like to beat Pro driver Joonas Lappalainen, still 0.9 sec behind, started last weekend so not bad :)

Cheers!
Keni Keninen

Why on earth the choice of Chang for the FR2!? The dullest circuit ever built (including the atrocious crap that is Bahrain Circuit)... I recommend to try them on Spa. That downforce through Eau Rouge keeping your foot down, then rocket through Radillon while holding your breath. Now that is more of a challenge :)

In fact, Kunos negligance is allowing the competition to beat them. Run a race with adaptive ai tuned in with these in RaceRoom, at a silky smooth 60fps without a hitch, with sound on max and a good wheel and just feel the fun factor. Then go to AC and run the Formula Abarths at a stuttery 60ish fps (due to rendering issues still) against an AI that still is technically inferior (laugh at first turn at Monza) and listen to the vacuum cleaner sound and marvel at the still not fixed FFB dullness.
I agree completely about the AI being far better in R3E, but personally I have no problem running AC with good frame rates and no stuttering. And AC does look better than R3E (cars are starting to look decent in R3E with reflections, trackside graphics let the game down especially in replays)

Nevertheless I trust in the developers to do the completest job in all matters

it's good to have people like you in trusting them, coz without you they finally would awake from their fantasydreams in fantasyland and realise that this game with it's features and the quality is not worth more then 30-40€.
Without the amazing sounds it would be probably 20-30€.

and the AI is what i expect as standard in any racing game and the other sims such as AC (and maybe Pcars aswell, dunno don't own it) are just faulty. I'm not interested in anything more than AI/Singleplayer racing so i can't judge any mutlitplayer experiences with R3E.

Finally. One of the most fun additions i've driven in sim racing. Good to see Sector 3 go from strength to strength. Now with TT Cup and this open wheeler, i would say that coupled with the fact that AC turned into a road car racer with sometimes flaky FF and a core engine and AI routines that is still sub-par, despite a long time of development... RaceRoom now not only matches but actually crushes AC completely when it comes to racing. For road cars and hot lapping Gran Turismo style AC is shining on PC... For racing thrills, RaceRoom is the serious choice right now. Sector 3 has momentum and the new physics models (TT Cup, DTM 2015) are amazing.

So now that a decent open wheeler is in RR my view is that rF2 is still king for serious leagues, due to its customizability, RR is king for offline (adaptive AI is awesome) and the feel of actual race weekends, while AC remains a hot lap sim for guys wanting to race road cars beating online leaderboards.

In fact, Kunos negligance is allowing the competition to beat them. Run a race with adaptive ai tuned in with these in RaceRoom, at a silky smooth 60fps without a hitch, with sound on max and a good wheel and just feel the fun factor. Then go to AC and run the Formula Abarths at a stuttery 60ish fps (due to rendering issues still) against an AI that still is technically inferior (laugh at first turn at Monza) and listen to the vacuum cleaner sound and marvel at the still not fixed FFB dullness. All while not being able to run the full weekend (still, after all this dev time). Then you will see why this is the thing right now, hopefully :)

In all honesty, is the FR2 as "real" as the F2 in rFactor2? No. Is it more fun? Definitely. It is like MADE for having tight races online.

All just your opinion of course - I think you forgot to mention that. Also why focus on other sims in an R3E thread?

In fact before the inevitable slanging match ensues,. you'd all do well to read this statement from a Kunos dev I stumbled upon yesterday. Doesn't really matter who wrote it, just read it. From here. Assetto corsa v forza 6 v pcars at mp4-12c brands & nordschleife

Totally unrelated sidenote:
As you can see I already listed more than 5 factors that might provoke a single steering wheel movement and there are more. As usual it's complicated and also a proof why it's sad to hear that one title is a sim and the other is arcade. Every developer tries hard to simulate reality and you guys should really feel lucky that you have so much choice nowadays. Every title does some things better than another and some things worse. Every developer pushes the envelope and depending on his experience, feeling, feedback from professional teams/drivers and time constraints, stops at some point on one subject and focuses to another part of their engine because "it's good enough for now". Then comes back again. And it's not even as clear as to say, a title is better in suspension modelling, another title is better in tyres, another in aero and so on. You can have different sims that are doing for example one thing better in one part of the tyre model and another that does worse but better in a different part of the tyre model! And so on for aero, suspensions, chassis, whatever...

Whoever claims X title is better than Y title without actual access on the software code and proper engineering experience, is simply ignorant and/or too full of himself. Simply as that. Developers, the actual guys that are programming this amazing pieces of software (and I'm not talking about myself but about people like Stefano, Kaemmer, Gjon and so on) are not even sure about their own creations. We know we are good on some points, but always have doubts if another sim has done it better and vice versa. I can assure you that outside the marketing work, every single developer feels the same.

So yeah, just have fun with whatever sim suits you best.

All just your opinion of course - I think you forgot to mention that. Also why focus on other sims in an R3E thread?

This is a forum. The fact it is my opinion is sort of implied. And why not mention other sims? Are we not to compare? Especially in light of new content adding to one of the sims? I would say that it is in fact a good thing to do so? Why do you feel hurt by it? Instead give your own objective opinion on the matter, so we can discuss...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 506 39.0%