R3E: Formula RaceRoom 2 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
fr2.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today made available the first open wheel racing car to be released on their free to play platform, RaceRoom Racing Experience.

Available to purchase via the in game store, a field of 24 identical totally-not-GP2 racing cars each with a unique livery will cost 349RVP. Generating up to 1.7 tonne of downforce at full speed, this is a high downforce car that shares many visual characteristics with the Formula One support series of GP2.

Significant work has been undertaken by the developers of R3E to bring this car to the title, featuring a new driver model as well as animated suspension and a new approach to the driving physics, hopefully providing an entertaining drive for racers of the sim.

As discussed in our recent interview with the guys over at Sector3, the Formula RaceRoom 2 will be the first of several open wheel cars to join the sim in the coming year.

Be sure to check out the RaceDepartment R3E Racing Club in the coming weeks for any opportunities to race this car, or any other of the impressive selection of vehicles in game, with your fellow sim racers.

Below you can find an in game video of these cars racing round Belgian circuit Spa Francorchamps.

Have you tried the new open wheel FR2 in game yet? What are your experiences? Do you intend to purchase this content if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below!

fr2 2.jpg fr2 3.jpg fr2 4.jpg fr2 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the ai brake much better than you can ever do with these cars too? My one major gripe now...
in what car do you feel like AI is braking too good? haven`t tried FR2 but in GT3, DTM92 I don`t recall this issue (only them braking too early on specific corners)

Who designed the front wing of this car? Just saying...
My guess is Luca Pignacca and Andrea Toso from Dallara inspired somebody in Sector 3 :) but I would say the characteristic shape is by Dallara

Last edited:
in what car do you feel like AI is braking too good? haven`t tried FR2 but in GT3, DTM92 I don`t recall this issue (only them braking too early on specific corners)

My guess is Luca Pignacca and Andrea Toso from Dallara inspired somebody in Sector 3 :) but I would say the characteristic shape is by Dallara
Noticed it in all cars but especially the dtm. It annoys me that running bumper to bumper I have to break early as if I brake the same time as the ai I will go flying into the back of them!

Shame they (Raceroom AG) couldn't offer this as a free addition to the title, being Christmas and all. but hey, I guess thats asking too much, and I don't have to buy what I don't like do I, only problem is "I will like it", and Raceroom know it. So I will spend my Vrp (AU$) begrudgingly and pray that the title improves to a quality that accurately matches it's ongoing cost's.

This car is great, and have waited for it along time and is not dissepointed. Only frustratrating thing is that there is a FR2 competition where you can test the new track for free. But for that you HAVE to have the Red Bull livery #1, and pack didnt work to buy in the start, and I thought well I just need 1 livery anyway so I got the Schaeffler livery. But no, I can't use that in the competition, I need to buy the Red Bull...I mean...why? Is there Red Bull sponsored competition or something...

@Ho3n3r :D sort it out before you even replied but thanks. Was bit lazy, you know.
Simple though.

So yes i bought it as well and i can say its very good. Gave it a try 10 minutes at 2 past midnight and couldnt more. Didn't even saw the options so i went on Amateur level i think with the AI on easiest level as well. But the graphics are very good. The HUD as well are very friendly and very fine same as on the DTM i love them. Gonna be interesting to play this against the computer or as well against people on the internet.

Today later gonna post more
This is one video from me

This car is great, and have waited for it along time and is not dissepointed. Only frustratrating thing is that there is a FR2 competition where you can test the new track for free. But for that you HAVE to have the Red Bull livery #1, and pack didnt work to buy in the start, and I thought well I just need 1 livery anyway so I got the Schaeffler livery. But no, I can't use that in the competition, I need to buy the Red Bull...I mean...why? Is there Red Bull sponsored competition or something...
I'm sure if you visit the S3 forums and explain they will help.

probably only probelem with FR2 is that default setup you get in shop testing has maxed aero that really makes it almost boring and dull to drive (so I understand if somebody is not thrilled after testing it) .. gets much better with aero 3-5 clicks down .. oh and also that I bought it to join competition but went for #10 skin to realize that I need #01 skin to compeete .. probably bug but I had this issue when I tried to challenge somebody directly but didn`t have skin he uses when he set the laptime in leaderboard

Last edited:
I'm already missing my XD... I kind of live off the delta times, only way to get those last tow seconds off..

The car is good, on get real it gets challenging at proper points. Exits are about as hard as one hopes, understeer under braking is a bit of a problem. Haven't delved too deep on setups but the few clicks i made, seemed to point that it is unavoidable and i don't mind not having unpredictable rear snaps under braking.

Tire sound threshold, don't agree. Tire squeal comes out too soon under braking, there is still plenty of rotation left, on acceleration it is pretty much perfect (just light squeal on exits = don't be greedy with the pedal now, no sudden movements in steering rack..). But maybe it's better this way, at least there is a bit more time on lifting the brake pedal, squeal when it is already locked up is too late. It would probably need third channel, something between squeal and scrub and give player the option to adjust that threshold based on under-rotation amount... maybe..

Finally. One of the most fun additions i've driven in sim racing. Good to see Sector 3 go from strength to strength. Now with TT Cup and this open wheeler, i would say that coupled with the fact that AC turned into a road car racer with sometimes flaky FF and a core engine and AI routines that is still sub-par, despite a long time of development... RaceRoom now not only matches but actually crushes AC completely when it comes to racing. For road cars and hot lapping Gran Turismo style AC is shining on PC... For racing thrills, RaceRoom is the serious choice right now. Sector 3 has momentum and the new physics models (TT Cup, DTM 2015) are amazing.

Have to agree with much of this. AC is GREAT for solo drives. Driving a vintage manual shift car up some classic italian curvy road is unparalleled in any other sim. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing especially as an owner of many sim racers. Raceroom has by far the most intense, immersive and satisfying race action of the sims i've played and a personal favorite - I am somehow heavily vested in it emotionally. Project Cars I enjoy when i want to tone it down a notch but still race against some folks.

It's great to have this many choices. I still play them all from time to time and enjoy them for different reasons.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back