R3E | Daytona International Speedway and 2019 Porsche 911 RSR Announced

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have dropped two excellent new content announcements for RaceRoom Racing Experience - the immense Daytona International Speedway and Porsche 911 RSR (2019) are both heading to the sim!

Perfect timing with the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona kicking into action this coming weekend, the legendary American sportscar circuit is one of the (imho) most underrepresented circuits in sim racing - and somewhere that should make an exceptional addition to RaceRoom Racing Experience and their large array of Prototype and GT racing cars within the sim.

As this is very much an early announcement, little is known about the new content at the time of writing - short of a preview image found at the foot of this article, and a proposed Q2 release date for the DLC.

As well the big Daytona reveal, Sector3 Studios have also confirmed the final Porsche model to be published from the recent Porsche themed DLC releases... Running in both GTE and GTLM at the classic endurance race, the 911 RSR (2019) should be a worthy new machine for players of RaceRoom Racing Experience to enjoy.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively on PC now.

Got something you need to know about the sim? Head to the RaceRoom sub forum here at RD, start a thread and let our awesome community help you out!

R3E - Daytona and Porsche 911 RSR 2019 Confirmed.jpg

Man, this is great! I hope they're developing some prototypes & other GTLM/GTE cars to go with it! I've been running some IMSA multi-class Daytona-24 scenarios in AC today. The mod track is okay, but I'm sure the R3E version will be better. The PC2 version looks amazing, but I can't stand driving the cars and the BOP is all over the place.

Moving to another engine achieves what, exactly? I don't get where everyone thinks that moving to a new engine is some magical fix for whatever they think is missing. It's an older title built on older tech (originally released in 2013/14 from memory?) but Raceroom doesn't look any worse than any other sim racing title out there. I often liken it to ACC at this point. The tracks are full of life and are super enjoyable to race on. There are features still coming through on the current engine (time of day, tyre pressures :rolleyes: and punctures / flat spots, new physics for all the cars worth driving, webhud, the list goes on) and VR is already supported even though it's a DX9 title.

There are still a few things to add that would make the sim almost completely god tier at this point, and I am not sure that they cannot be done on the current engine already. I would suggest:

-day night transition
-rubber build up / dynamic track
-weather
-driver swaps
-full implementation of race rules / tyre limits, safety car, etc.

I can't think of anything else that other sims have that immediately come to mind. Look what happened to VR with the use of a new engine in ACC. While I have currently made peace with it and found a good level of compromise to get it to work for me, clearly that shows that using a 'new engine' can prove more trouble than using the old one. For everyone.

Moving to another engine achieves what, exactly? I don't get where everyone thinks that moving to a new engine is some magical fix for whatever they think is missing. It's an older title built on older tech (originally released in 2013/14 from memory?) but Raceroom doesn't look any worse than any other sim racing title out there. I often liken it to ACC at this point. The tracks are full of life and are super enjoyable to race on. There are features still coming through on the current engine (time of day, tyre pressures :rolleyes: and punctures / flat spots, new physics for all the cars worth driving, webhud, the list goes on) and VR is already supported even though it's a DX9 title.

There are still a few things to add that would make the sim almost completely god tier at this point, and I am not sure that they cannot be done on the current engine already. I would suggest:

-day night transition
-weather
-driver swaps

I can't think of anything else that other sims have that immediately come to mind. Look what happened to VR with the use of a new engine in ACC. While I have currently made peace with it and found a good level of compromise to get it to work for me, clearly that shows that using a 'new engine' can prove more trouble than using the old one. For everyone.

They need a new engine for:
-HDR lighting/effects
-Improved VR performance
-Particles (sparks, dust, smoke...they have smoke now but it looks better in DX11 and is more optimized)
-rubber build up
-day/night

The color pallette holds them back more than anything to me, but of all the sims right now it looks the most dated by a big margin.

-day night transition
-weather
-driver swaps

Took iracing a couple of year's think it was 2016 they switched from DX9 to DX11 But to see where that is at now..If R3E went there with there current team holy SH$% it'll smash it out of the park.
But they did move on with the time's!! and if you see most review's for R3E 2017/18/19/20 great game looks old though. a common thing you see in them.
It's much needed for this sim hell if i won lotto i'd chuck money at them...Thats how much love these dude's
having the same menu "chef Term's" for so many years does get boring...

Last edited:
It is already fixed with Silverstone ready for the patch. Are they any other instances we should know about?
An observation today:
Monza Parabolica exit, GT2 RUF was standing on the track between exit of the corner and Pit entry and not going away. Causing a constant yellow. (GT2/P2 multiclass practice session)

AI overslowing it on Bilsterberg in several corners.

Cut Track Penalties for pit entries on Dubai, Bathurst, Suzuka and probably other circuits.

They need a new engine for:
-HDR lighting/effects
-Improved VR performance
-Particles (sparks, dust, smoke...they have smoke now but it looks better in DX11 and is more optimized)
-rubber build up
-day/night

The color pallette holds them back more than anything to me, but of all the sims right now it looks the most dated by a big margin.

Last edited:
My only question is: with the huge amount of content already available, is a move to another engine even possible? Will they have to redo all the cars and tracks?
I would expect porting the actual assets (tracks, car models) is the easy part of switching to a different engine. I mean remember the supposed GTR3 screenshots? Those were apparently all just Raceroom assets ported fairly quickly over to the Unreal Engine.

I would also assume it would be done in several phases, where the first phase would be just to port all they currently have to the new engine without any real visible improvements outside of what the new engine would provide by default, and then slowly reworking and adding more stuff that wasn't possible on the old engine.

Moving to another engine achieves what, exactly?

Most importantly - hopefully better performance on modern hardware. DX9 is horribly limited in this regard.

The color pallette holds them back more than anything to me
How does color palette hold it back? Color palette is an artistic choice, it's not limited by the engine. You mean dynamic changes of the color palette?

PCars 2 and ACC are both DX11, right? Performance for both of those games has been a point of contention for some time. Meanwhile, AMS, old rFactor2 and old iRacing all run/ran on potato PC's.
I'm not in favour of sticking with old engines for old hardware sake, not at all. But I'm not convinced that a move to DX11 / a new engine will do anything for performance just on it's own. Especially if they start adding stuff. New API's are SUPPOSED to streamline things, make everything more efficient and make best use of modern hardware.

At least, that's what the folk who sell you new hardware tell you. I've yet to see it. How many games still run better in DX11 than 12? Lots.

I play mostly single player, so one of my wish list features would be to setup a race scenario and enter at a driver swap in the pits after so many laps or stints have already played out. And maybe not even have to finish the whole race, but try to perform well for your stint. How cool would it be to jump in the last stint of the N24 or Bathurst 12-hr. Or, "when" R3E gets day-to-night, jump in a stint at the Spa 24 and merge into a multiclass field and just try to gain a spot or two.

Reactions: DND
Daytona is such a great addition. Much appreciated. The only bummer here is that it won't arrive this weekend for the real 24h race.

The RSR is very interesting because i have a feeling we haven't seen a perfect representation of this car in sim racing yet. I have driven this car in Project Cars 2 (bad sounds) Forza 7 (not authentic enough) GT Sport (feels and sounds like a GT3R) and Assetto Corsa. In the latter, the steering feels a bit off to me and hyper-sensitive. Not so sure about the sound in AC. The RSR is one of the wildest sounding race car out there, so it should sound ear-shattering in Raceroom. At least i hope so.

That being said, we need more GTE cars in Raceroom. The RSR only competing with other RSR cars feels a bit... dull? Still happy about this announcement.

Beware, the 2019 RSR sounds very different from the previous RSR, due to its lateral exhaust layout.

It's clearly one of the loudest car I recorded in my life though, earplugs are mandatory for everyone with this car, which is extremely rare nowadays.

Soundwise, it has nothing to do with the previous flat-6 melody, but it's really mean and fat, I'm pretty sure you guys will like it ;)

Great addition! Daytona roval is underrepresented I think, so great to have it come to a quality sim like R3E.

The 911... honestly, I have a touch of Porsche fatigue, I think. I'm neither a Porsche fanboy nor a hater. I respect the company and the fact they have a rabidly enthusiastic following, it's just that from where I sit all these different 911 variations sort of blur together for me.

The RSR is a totally different animal though, it's made for endurance racing with very specific technical rules. It also sounds unique, not only compared to the others Porsche cars, but also in general ;)

Daytona is such a great addition. Much appreciated. The only bummer here is that it won't arrive this weekend for the real 24h race.

The RSR is very interesting because i have a feeling we haven't seen a perfect representation of this car in sim racing yet. I have driven this car in Project Cars 2 (bad sounds) Forza 7 (not authentic enough) GT Sport (feels and sounds like a GT3R) and Assetto Corsa. In the latter, the steering feels a bit off to me and hyper-sensitive. Not so sure about the sound in AC. The RSR is one of the wildest sounding race car out there, so it should sound ear-shattering in Raceroom. At least i hope so.

That being said, we need more GTE cars in Raceroom. The RSR only competing with other RSR cars feels a bit... dull? Still happy about this announcement.
The car in iracing is quite lively in the rear end if mistreated, it is mid engined after all. AC feels pretty accurate, as kunos wouldve gotten the data from porsche themselves. although i suspect this is the new 2020 version of the car, which is the first model we will see in sim racing

although i suspect this is the new 2020 version of the car, which is the first model we will see in sim racing
That's correct, this is the new RSR model.

R3E had now the first officially licensed M4 GT4, new 718 GT4, GT2 RS CS and the new RSR soon. It's great to have the possibility to take a look at some of the brand new rides and driving them at home in moms basement. :D

PCars 2 and ACC are both DX11, right? Performance for both of those games has been a point of contention for some time. Meanwhile, AMS, old rFactor2 and old iRacing all run/ran on potato PC's.
I'm not in favour of sticking with old engines for old hardware sake, not at all. But I'm not convinced that a move to DX11 / a new engine will do anything for performance just on it's own. Especially if they start adding stuff. New API's are SUPPOSED to streamline things, make everything more efficient and make best use of modern hardware.

At least, that's what the folk who sell you new hardware tell you. I've yet to see it. How many games still run better in DX11 than 12? Lots.
That's comparing apples and oranges, though. Which you possible don't even realize.

But no, of course using a newer engine/DX version is not a guarantee for better performance. It just gives the developers possibilities to do more stuff and/or optimize better. It's up to them if and how they make use of them.

PCars 2 is still *the* best sim when it comes to taking advantage of multithreaded CPUs (as in the vast majority of current CPUs), regardless of whether the game as a whole runs good or not (but it runs absolutely stellar on my PC I have to say). ACC is probably second in that regard, but has other issues that limit its performance (plus it has the most demanding graphics by far), and various other issues that ruin the experience.

AMS runs good on old hardware because its visuals are fairly simplistic, and once you do something more demanding, it chokes fairly quickly (which is exactly what happens to Raceroom due to the same DX9 limitations - I can easily make Raceroom run below 60 fps in certain spots, even on my system), and it can even crash on you with bigger grids, since its old engine is unable to handle the requirements. rF2's performance is all over the place, and I would frankly be fairly sceptical about it running on a potato in its current state, and it's also quite limited by basically being a hybrid of legacy things and new things (which is slowly being changed). I mean, for example, it doesn't even support anything beyond stereo sound, for example - while 5.1/7.1 sound has been considered standard for well over a decade now (more like two). Can't say much about iRacing, as I've been more or less out of the loop on that one for a while now, but last time I ran it, it certainly was far from perfect performance-wise, or capable of running on that big of a potato.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%