F1 2011 R&D Questions

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Okay so before i start, yes i have used the search function and searching "R&D" is not allowed and all my other attempts like "reseach and devolpment" and all other variants i could think of either came back with nothing or threads telling the poster to use the search function. If im just being an idiot and someone cant point me into the right thread i will be happy lol. If not here are my questions:

1) What is the difference between the paths? (Aggresive is supposed to be good for the current season where as Balanced is for a better car next season? Has anyone actually tested to see if this is true?)

2) What is the optimal path?

3) If i chose a certain path and at the end of the season leave to another team, will the team i just left still be affected by what path i had chosen? (e.g if i chose balanced they will have a good car next season?)

Welcome to RD and keep in mind that there are no stupid questions. Well, most often.

Regarding your questions:

1) I found that aggressive will make your car faster (wings, engine etc.), defensive will make it better at defending your position (better brakes etc.) and balanced is in between. I've only tried defensive and aggressive myself, so that's merely what happened to myself.

2) Depends on your driving style, I tend to favour an aggressive path over the balanced path.

3) Teams keep evolving, so they might not keep exactly the same path but will still profit from your progress. Toro Rosso, for example, in the top 10 in almost every race in my career mode races.

All the best,

Tom

I respectfully disagree with the above post.
The difference with the paths is that the more agressive paths gives you upgrades more often but your teams expectations are also higher. The net effect is a car that gets faster quicker but targets that are harder to reach. The second part impacts your XP improvement.
I postulate that it reflects the higher team investment.and thus higher demands of owners/sponsors etc.
So.
Agressive, upgrades most often, highest team targets. EG quali P5 race P2. Even in a season 3 Williams
Intemediate in the middle eg quali P8 race P6
Balanced upgrades least often , lowest targets eg quali P12 race P8
I may have got the second and third terminology wrong but the order is clear in game.

The implications are that if you want to try to win the WDC in your current car (this season or later) then go Agressive (most top teams its the default)..
If you want to get offers from better teams go balanced and you will hit more targets thus getting more offers sooner via better XP.

One small thing, once I was #1 driver in Williams I went Agressive and the targets were eye wateringly high.
I though no probs I will change it for next season-I never got the chance to.
The high targets have slowed my XP.

I have to say, it could pretty well be that the targets are higher when following the aggressive path. However, I can neither confirm nor deny that since I haven't had the chance to pick a path whilst playing on PC (with an improved AI) and the AI in the PS3 version wasn't much of a challenge.

However, I've gotten brake updates later when following the aggressive path. So I'm pretty sure that the types of upgrades are somehow affected.

Have some question guys!

Why theres always an X in Practice if I have completed the target. The last one was in Germany, R&D was do a 1.32.2xx in 6 laps and Ive done 1.28.3xx in 4 laps

Can I continue doing some laps after I have completed the target? will this put it as fail?

My R&D will fail if i continue to improve the lap time after beat the target, usually if you practice enough on the track you should able to beat the target lap time in just the first lap, i'll just go back to garage once done the R&D and fast forward to next session since no point to stay there anymore but of cause you can do as many laps as you like after you beat the target time but make sure not to improve the time or else your R&D will fail. At least it is what happen to me & i have to manual save cause if i do this using autosaving sometime R&D will fail as well, not sure why.
Hope this help, good day :)

My R&D will fail if i continue to improve the lap time after beat the target, usually if you practice enough on the track you should able to beat the target lap time in just the first lap, i'll just go back to garage once done the R&D and fast forward to next session since no point to stay there anymore but of cause you can do as many laps as you like after you beat the target time but make sure not to improve the time or else your R&D will fail. At least it is what happen to me & i have to manual save cause if i do this using autosaving sometime R&D will fail as well, not sure why.
Hope this help, good day :)

What Lazy sayz :D

If you didnt understand what i saying about "usually if you practice enough on the track you should able to beat the target lap time in just the first lap, i'll just go back to garage once done" i mean practice as much as you want and then restart the practice session and beat the target lap time in your first lap, am i clear now ?? :D

If you didnt understand what i saying about "usually if you practice enough on the track you should able to beat the target lap time in just the first lap, i'll just go back to garage once done" i mean practice as much as you want and then restart the practice session and beat the target lap time in your first lap, am i clear now ?? :D
What Lazy sayz ;)

I didn't know this.. o.O That's why it gives me "Practice - X" and doesn't give me the updates!! OMG. This is stupid! :D

Hmmm suddenly I'm beginning to understand why I've failed all previous R&Ds this season... :mad:
But... as I don't really want to do 6 FPs per weekend, is it possible to do the R&D at the end of each FP session, without having the tyre wear bug kicking in? Like, by having flying laps only but for R&D?

The implications are that if you want to try to win the WDC in your current car (this season or later) then go Agressive (most top teams its the default)..
If you want to get offers from better teams go balanced and you will hit more targets thus getting more offers sooner via better XP.

One small thing, once I was #1 driver in Williams I went Agressive and the targets were eye wateringly high.
I though no probs I will change it for next season-I never got the chance to.
The high targets have slowed my XP.

Wait, I'm confused, does this mean you can actually choose which path you want to take? Because ive never been asked which path I would like to take by the game.

Or is the R&D path completely defined by your driving style?

Wait, I'm confused, does this mean you can actually choose which path you want to take? Because ive never been asked which path I would like to take by the game.

Or is the R&D path completely defined by your driving style?

At some point you can open up the R&D menu (the one in the menu you get before driving out onto the track) and change the path. The game doesn't tell you now's time to look at it, tho.

The choice of R&D path is offered to you only once you become #1 driver.
At the final race or b4 1st race in new season (can't remember exactly when ) the screen will come up and you will be able to choose.
The engineer responds with a quite emphatic "Right lets get those changes made"
Ive only been able to do it once as have stayed with Williams for 4 seasons and will finish career with one season with my next team.

Edit: Tom I think it actually takes you to that screen at the appropriate time. IE you have to make the choice then and there.

Another solution is that you go out and do your R&D-lap(s) and from the moment you have gone faster than the target, you must come into the pits (by driving or by the pause menu). After this you can go back out and do your other laps. But the most important thing is that you come into the pits after you completed the R&D, so the lap after you hit the target is your in-lap. If you do it like this, then you don't need to do 6FP during a race weekend.
This works for me.

I actually quite confuse why BBFred talking about 6FP, i thought only 3 ?? Or its because i play 50% race ??

There are only 3 FP in a long race weekend but I think he means that he needs to complete 6 FP. First he completes one to practise and then he starts the same practice session again to complete the R&D-objective, like you said. So he drives 3FP to practise and learn the track and 3FP to complete the R&D-objective.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%