Räikkönen Happy With Pre-Season Testing So Far

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Raikkonen Happy WIth Alfa Romeo Pre Season Testing.jpg

Kimi Räikkönen appears to be relishing his new found freedom at Alfa Romeo Racing, and remains confident in his chances this year.

"(Compared to what I) tried at the end of last year - the Sauber - it is a big step for sure,"

"It is very happy actually. The guys did a very good job over the winter and we have a package that we can work (with)."

Although many questioned why Räikkönen, now 39, would want to step down from a race winning Ferrari to perennial midfielders Sauber, the subsequent takeover by Alfa Romeo and a much more visibly relaxed Räikkönen during his brief appearances in the new white and red overalls suggest this could be a new 'Indian Summer' for the most popular driver on the grid, and if early testing form is anything to go by, one that could lead to the odd on track surprise or two.

With the first two days of testing and a brief shakedown now behind team and driver, Räikkönen is optimistic about the state of his current car, and confirms the team have managed to stick to the testing plan so far:

“It is always difficult to start in the cold conditions, we never seem to learn from the winter.

"Apart from that, everything ran smoothly," he pointed out. "The car feels very, very positive. It is early days but so far it is good.”
To see a competitive Räikkönen in 2019, free from the politics of Ferrari, will no doubt be one of the feel good stories of the coming season.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Hmm, I'm not so sure that this is really a "step down" to be honest. I mean, how many 39 year olds get to drive in F1 at all? He's doing well to still be in the sport at his age, which also shows his class as a driver. A true step down will be when he's forced to make way for a young pup and has to go race in a "lesser" series elsewhere.

Anyway, fair play to him, glad to see him still on the grid, and looking forward to seeing him race. :thumbsup:

I don't really agree with the choice of words here : "his new found freedom", "free from the politics of Ferrari". I think he had a lot of freedom in Ferrari, at least in his second stint, given how he described the atmosphere at Ferrari in his book. The vocabulary used in this post makes the reader believing he's been unhappy there, but I strongly believe he was not.

Now, best of luck to Alfa Romeo, hope those feelings translate in good results.

For a Finn that's already like having a speech. We usually don't use such many words.
You are right.
Hehe a long speech:roflmao:
Taken from your name and answer it sounds like you are a finn yourself.:thumbsup:
I just found this description of normal finnish behaviour:
"Loud speaking and loud laughing is not normal in Finland and may irritate some Finns.
Occasional silence is considered a part of the conversation, not a sign of hostility or irritation."

I saw recently the danish/norwegian movie "Kraftidioten" and its hard not to think that Stellan Skarsgårds extremely low key/taciturn acting could not have happened without some kind of scandinavian relationship to Suomi/Finland.
You would love this movie;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%