Quick review: TomyRacing TRX Quick Release

Dear fellow sim racers,
since may I am a happy owner of a Sim-Plicity SW8C+, which I am using with a DIY wheel built from a 3DRAP kit.
I attached the wheel to the base via a Chinese D1 spec knock-off, which did the job, but soon began to annoy me with some lateral play.
There was no play on the rotational axis, and in races I could not really feel the play, but I guess you all know that feeling; once you known about an issue you cannot ignore, it starts to bother you.

So I browsed the internet for affordable alternatives (as the Q1R and HRS Xero Play are a bit too far off my price range), and last week I stumbled upon the TomyRacing TRX.

As I could not find any reviews online, I asked the Sim-Plicity Owners Group on Facebook for help, where one member already owned two of those TRXs and recommended them to me.

Fast-forward two days, and the UPS guy rings my doorbell with a small package in his hands.

The first impression was already fantastic. Very well machined materials, beautiful looks and a nice and tight mechanism. I did not put it on a scale, but due to the use of aluminium it is considerably lighter than the chinese QR.
In the evening I mounted the TRX to my wheel, and all I can say is: Rock solid, absolutely no play, perfect!

Here's some pictures (with the old QR as a comparison) attached.
IMG_20201021_200310826.jpg
IMG_20201021_200357002.jpg
IMG_20201021_232619388.jpg

Well, the original post contained some links to the mentioned products, that somehow went with the wind or, more likely, triggered the mods.
However, I guess you guys are smart enough to google Tomas' web shop. ;)

Upvote 0

RaceDepartment Store

• Featured
Enter the adrenaline pumping Direct Drive Force Feedback high-end Sim Racing experience club. Sport comes with 17 Nm of direct drive torque and Simucube 2 benefits. Simucube 2 Sport wheel base delivers serious amounts of juice to bring up adrenaline-filled sweat to the skins of the drivers...
  • Featured
In the late 90s, force feedback technology changed the world of sim racing completely. Now we welcome the Direct Drive era, taking force feedback realism to the next level. Buy now from Fanatec.com for EUR 1.195,95 Features Custom-designed servo motor designed by our engineers and the first...
  • Featured
The best possible Direct Drive wheel base designed for professional racers, racing teams, and race car drivers has an abundant 32 Nm of torque and the maxed-out torque response rate is at your disposal at any time and anywhere. Buy now from trakracer.com for $2,959.00 USD Simucube 2 Ultimate...
  • Featured
RaceDepartment
Views
Reaction score
Celebrating our partnership with Formula 1™ as official provider of the F1® Esports Series, the ClubSport Steering Wheel F1® Esports V2 is designed for driving Formula 1 cars at the limit. The V2 comes with magnetic shifters, customisable RGB LEDs, revised electronics, and an exchangeable quick...
Modular components from the Podium range come together to create a high-performance steering wheel, as seen in the 2021 Fanatec Esports GT Pro Series. Buy now from Fanatec.com for EUR 629,95 Features ClubSport Wheel Rim 320 Three-spoke aluminium wheel rim with a 320 mm diameter Genuine...
  • Featured
RaceDepartment
Views
Reaction score
Introducing the official Direct Drive Wheel for Gran Turismo®. Combining PlayStation®5 console performance with FANATEC® Direct Drive technology for the smoothest and most dynamic force feedback sensations. Buy now from Fanatec.com for EUR 969,85 FEATURES Gran Turismo DD Pro Wheel Base: The...