Quick question about Clutches and H-Shifters?

So I have been enjoying my beginner setup (T150 with 2 pedals) but now I think I want to upgrade to 3 pedals and a shifter.

But what i want to know is how these work with games like AC, AMS2 and PC2/3, i.e. games with different cars with different gear setups like H-pattern, squential and paddles?

Do the games know when you need the clutch/stick for a DBR1 or paddles for the 911 RSR GTE car?

Also, if you could only get one would it be the shifter or the pedals?

Last edited:
Most games will be fine with both paddle shifters and h-pattern. I think in AMS2 if you have all the buttons assigned, then the h-pattern only works on h-pattern cars and paddles only work on sequential cars, AFAIK. And you only need to use the clutch on cars that need a clutch in real life. Not sure about other games though.

As to whether you should buy the shifter or the third pedal. To be honest, I think you'll want both as neither of them are particularly useful on their own. Sure they'd work, but having a h-patten shifter without a clutch sort of misses the point a bit. Having a clutch and h-pattern for older cars is great fun.

Upvote 0
The clutch is not very well simulated in any game so you will have to use your imagination to pretend the process of using the clutch and engaging gears with a h shifter is something realistic. Don't expect the feeling of a real car transmision no matter how good your hardware is. For that, apart from the simulation, you would need a physical connection between the clutch and the shfter.

Upvote 0
So, full immersion aside, is there any downside to using an H Shifter without clutch (ingame auto clutch)?

For the moment I just want the feeling of using a stick shifter...rather than the full simulation of it

Upvote 0
Well that would be really wierd when you are used to driving stick and move the shiftlever without using the clutch.
It also would program really bad muscle memory.

My take would be to get a three pedal set first, if anyhow possible with loadcell brake.
Prices have come down enormously in the last years.
Some cars ( Skippy for instance) really profit from clutch starts, in the race you can use the padels, just "blip" the downshifts.
That would be a "usefull muscle meory" for a lot of cars.

Next step would be then a shifter, hopefully it can be switched from H Pattern to sequential.
Lot´s of models on the market.
I myself use a Thrustmaster for H Pattern ( no recomendation any more, to expensive for feel and switchability even with mods. Stock you can hardly feel any resistance when shifting)

A Heusinkveld sequential feels better for sequential shifting, still not optimal.

I´d like ProSim H Pattern and sequential for realistic feel, but that´s probably not in the cards for me.
Let´s see what i can tinker there because I´d like a clutch lockout also so that shifting without clutch is no longer possible.
AC is quite lenient there, you really have to F..K up to get gearbox damage.

And yes, I´m completely spoiled because my road car has an IRP Quickshifter which I love and whose short and notchy shifts I´d like to have on my Sim.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I have been using an Heusinkveld 3 pedals set with a Thrusmaster TH8A H-shifter in RaceRoom for classic cars and an Heusinkveld sequential shifter for modern cars for 3 years. I can say that the H-shiter is very useful for several reasons.

First, I feel the shifts are quicker when done with the H-shifter in classic cars compared with the sequential shifter. The downshifts can be more efficient in some cases, as you can rev higher with heel and toe (I noticed it was very useful in the Chevrolet Monza @ Monza GP RaceRoom competition as I was able to downshift easily to 2nd gear before both Lesmos with a higher throttle blip). Another important benefit of H-shifting is the ability to skip gears during downshits, espescially with fast cars which have good brakes like the Group C prototypes.

So do not hesitate to update your setup with both H-shifter and clutch, I'm sure you won't regret your investment. ;)

Upvote 0
The clutch is not very well simulated in any game so you will have to use your imagination to pretend the process of using the clutch and engaging gears with a h shifter is something realistic.
BeamNG.drive has probably the most realistic clutch behaviour out of any game; you can even adjust the clutch "bite point" to your liking

Upvote 0
The clutch is not very well simulated in any game so you will have to use your imagination to pretend the process of using the clutch and engaging gears with a h shifter is something realistic. Don't expect the feeling of a real car transmision no matter how good your hardware is. For that, apart from the simulation, you would need a physical connection between the clutch and the shfter.

I've been on the waiting list for this for the first production run for over a year.
So far all I've heard is crickets.....

A true physical connection is not required. The lockout unit below is software mapped to the position of the clutch pedal.

I went ahead and sent an email to them asking for an update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got an update.
It's designed and finished and they are waiting for finished units, but they can not give an ETA.
They did say that they will be excited to release as soon as they can.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1066209

Thanks for sharing Andrew_WOT! I didn't know I wanted something like this, but now I have something else to add to my wishlist :D

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This looks like the first decent combination H pattern & sequential shift made available.

Barry still alludes to the ProSim unit in a few places saying it still feels more realistic, but he said if you haven't experienced that, this is half the price and doubles as a good sequential shift as well. If it had been available a couple years back, I may have seriously considered it, but I won't be selling my ProSim. I really like it :)

The other thing that I think this does is effectively cover the market where an HE h pattern shifter would go. I'm sure the HE would be even more compact, but I think this will likely cover that market pretty well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%