DiRT Rally Quick money maker or Focused rally sim

Msportdan

@Simberia
I want to bring you attention to a post I recently just read from a user.

"As this EA progresses I'm losing hope things will get fixed. Sure, they redid the FFB, but I still say rbr's is better. Aside from content, it's pretty much the same game they started with. Features that are missing, issues with handling and physics, gameplay bugs and bugs in general that were there in the beginning are still outstanding. It seems like all the people they do have working on it, are working on the content packs.

And I was under the impression they were out to make a sim, especially with the one dev claiming how unrealistic rbr actually is. But on their forums, one player that seems to be "in" with the devs is already getting the word out that the devs' intention is to create an "authentic rally experience, not a simulator." Could be something, could be nothing. But other than biglee commenting on random posts here or there, there's not much communication."

I am starting to think, if what CM really want and what us sim goers want is one in the same thing. I cant say it any better than function has above. But I do see more content than actual features being fixed. I couldn't care if there was one car and one stage, if they could concentrate on FFB, physics, wheel rotations etc etc. I just see content seems to be more a priority over actual features that rally fans would rather see. I know its EA but I think the direction/priorities the devs are taking, says a lot about what the end product they are actually striving for.

Maybe we wont get that RBR killer after all......

for 20 euros, i am having the best of time in any rally game since rbr came out and a bit later mcrae04 and mcr2005. i like being presented with fresh content (for free, no less) every four weeks so much more than having it all in one rush. and since i have never driven a real life rally car (and definitely never will), i am more than happy with the engine as it is. yes, rbr still gives me sth. like 15% more control over how my input affects my virtual car, but this here looks and sounds twice or three times as good, so i am very happy indeed, especially if one considers the money invested versus the amount of stuff i got so far.

There are a few things in RBR that still drive me crazy and I'd certainly like a good Rally title using newer tech. If CM can make the right improvements to DR, they may have quite decent title in the end.

Overall, I'm liking the gravel/dirt handling pretty well but, the tarmac needs lots of work and the snow&ice as well. The sounds are top notch IMO, very convincing in Rift mode.

Lets hope CM brings the UI controls into the current century with mouse support. :)

If it's a quick cash grab, it's a darn good one. Very fun driving experience, feels very immersive and convincing of being there in the car. My only complaint? I keep crashing, especially in the off-road sections! My biggest problem is trying to heel-toe in a chair that wants to roll back, so my braking is always too hesitant (to prevent pressure on chair)...i need a dedicated cockpit asap for manual shifting.

My biggest problem is trying to heel-toe in a chair that wants to roll back, so my braking is always too hesitant
I had the same problem, and while there are casters available that do have brakes, I couldn't find any locally, so I came up with this high-tech solution, which works surprisingly well... ;)
sqQ8XlU.jpg

Awesome chair solutions :). The cam strap screams"I'm tired of f###### around!" Lol. I've used a hoodie stuffed around the wheels which actually works decent but lately been too lazy to get up and fix it up. Might try something like that string...Thanks!

Quite some misunderstandings here.

a) Graphic artists and modellers do NOT code
They can NOT contribute anything to the coding, so they do what they are paid for: Create content.

b) Early Access
I know this thing got a bad reputation because companies like EA roll out finished games and call their demos "Beta" but in the real development world, it takes lots of time to get from Alpha to release candidate and as that you have to be patient when purchasing an Early Access title.
(I'm no romantic, i have in fact one of the most sceptic views at the video game industry, but that doesn't mean i have to point fingers at Early Access games just because they are not finished yet)

c) Marketing
You need content to keep those youTube videos and gaming articles coming.
There's no point in holding back content updates just because your physics update isn't out yet.
People will lose interest, no big coverage, no new purchases, death.

I am enjoying DR a lot even thought the Physics and FFB is far from perfect.
I have absolutely no thoughts on uninstall RBR yet.

The questions is :

What will happen after CM releases DR V1.0 ?
1. Will they continue adding and improving ?
2. Will they announce Dirt Rally 2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The physics as well as the ffb of the rear wheel drive cars on the dirt and gravel feels extremely good but once you get the same rwd car on pavement or concrete, the grip becomes excessive. When you get a a 4wd car on dirt or gravel things get really weird as they become very "sludgy" and slow and sticky as if they are on a different surface. The braking distance is about half that of a 2wd car and also the inverted countersteer remains in the FFB which requires the driver to fight the wheel in a slide when it should be automatic. Also the loss of grip on pavement(as mentioned many times) goes from 100 to 0 instantly in a slide.

If this game were judged on cars with rwd on gravel/dirt, I would give it a 95 out of 100. It's that good! If I had to score it on 4wd cars on pavement/concrete, I would give it a 30 out of 100. It is that bad!

I actually think it's a fantastic achievement how they made the RWD cars really feel like RWD cars on gravel. No other game has given me that sensation before. You also feel how the tires are digging in the gravel giving you grip as the car steps out sideways.

I agree with Kunos Stefano Casillo who said :

"The Physics and FFB isn't as awesome as the rest of the game"

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Codies intents on improving on the FFB and physics because there is no mentioning about it anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Kunos Stefano Casillo who said :

"The Physics and FFB isn't as awesome as the rest of the game"

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Codies intents on improving on the FFB and physics because there is no mentioning about it anywhere.
ive found the game delivered ffb to be pretty poor, but when I switch over to Simxperience ffb from my wheel the ffb is detailed and terrifying, this must mean somewhere hidden under their own ffb is a pretty solid foundation.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back