Question to Marcel

Hi @Marcel Offermans

I have a question about rfactor2. I have to first say that it is my SIM of choice. I return to it every time. I will play all Sims but they never compare to rf2.

There is one thing that would make it complete for me. Improved visual damage. I'm not saying it should be like beamNG or have soft body damage but just some parts falling off or something.

The best example I can give you is the EEC GT3 cars for Automobilista or gtr2.

For me, there's nothing more immersion killing than hitting a wall at 150mph and only a few scratches on the paintwork and being able to continue driving.

Anyway. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Vern.

There is one thing that would make it complete for me. Improved visual damage. I'm not saying it should be like beamNG or have soft body damage but just some parts falling off or something.

Vern, apart from specific content, this doesn't even need an answer from Marcel...

rF2, just like rF1, is quite capable of having parts fall off. All the open-wheel cars can lose wheels, for example. The coding allows fenders, wheels, wings, air dams, & bumpers to detach. Whether a modeler, even S397, chooses to make use of the feature is a different story.

S397's re-write of the graphics code added "wear & tear" textures, so scraping a wall or sideswiping an opponent can add scratches. The official GT3 pack makes use of this feature. Again, whether a modeler chooses to make use of the feature is a different story.

rF2, unlike rF1, does not support vertex damage. I miss seeing doors get caved in.

I just tested the official GT3 pack cars and the wheels definitely fall off after 120 mph impacts. Same with USF2000 cars, so S397 is NOT ignoring this aspect.

So, Vern, this leaves me thinking either you have damage turned off or you're not using official content? Which cars are you using?

I just tested the official GT3 pack cars and the wheels definitely fall off after 120 mph impacts. Same with USF2000 cars, so S397 is NOT ignoring this aspect.

So, Vern, this leaves me thinking either you have damage turned off or you're not using official content? Which cars are you using?
Hi Emery.

Your explanation is interesting. AMS uses rf1 engine right? That would explain why the damage in EEC GT3 cars is more realistic.

In terms of the rf2 content that made me write this post, the GT3 cars from s397. I noticed the wheels coming off on those cars but I was thinking more along the lines of losing the front bumper, rear bumper, hood etc.

The URD GTE mod has this kind of damage. I suppose i'm just after a (modern) sim which take damage a bit more seriously as I like the risk of damaging my car when i'm on the limit.

Hi @Marcel Offermans

The visual damage was already very recently worked on.

Build Changelog:
  • Added: An extended visual damage model featuring a combination of dents, scratches and cracks on the bodywork of cars, which has been implemented on the GT3 pack.

Since this question is addressing me, let me add a few thoughts.

So originally rFactor 2 only had damage in the sense that you could have specific parts that would break off. It still has and we do use that. In some specific cases we are limited by what a licensor allows us, so that might impact how far we can go for certain cars.

We recently added on top of that a way to add small scratches and cracks or bumps. This allows artists to make the car look roughed up and damaged, especially in door to door and other close racing scenarios.

We also looked at enabling the old "vertex deformation" code from rFactor 1 (and titles based on that) but we decided against it because it often looks silly (as we don't really have the right information to determine the internal structure of a car, so we also don't know how it would bend) and in a lot of cases modern cars are not made out of "steel" so they would not bend at all. Carbon parts more common nowadays would simply "shatter".

The fact that cars are made of big carbon parts also affects what things we can believably "break off" in those scenarios.

So I think we're reasonably flexible here. I'm sure we could improve things a bit more, but to be totally honest, we are not a sim focussing on spectacular crashes and with the systems we have in place you should be able to make cars that show that they've been roughed up. If you completely crash a car, you won't be able to continue, and we probably could model that a bit more realistically. Most people tend to press ESC pretty soon if that happens though. :)

Today and for the foreseeable future rFactor 2 is the only sim I drive, I firmly believe it gives the end user the best experience out of all the sim choices currently.
My only question is would it be possible to see a career mode someday?
Is it possible for a modder to create one?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%