Question Time: The Track You Didn't Appreciate Until Driving It In A Sim

I'd like to see the opposite of this question now: What track did you dislike before sim racing and still dislike after sim racing?
Another interesting “negative” question might be:
Is there any individual turn, or complex of turns, you dislike so much that it makes you not drive a track?

I would have to say that my "now-appreciated' track has probably got to be Spa.

It's not even that I ever disliked it, I just never had much of an opinion of the track, always thought it to be boring and bland back when I used to play Forza on a controller. Now with the wheel and AC however, AND driving it with GT3/GT2/GTE cars for hours on end doing endurance races? Probably some of /THE/ best racing I've experienced. The speed of some of those corners is mind boggling, especially the final few sweeping turns before *that* chicane.

Simply beautiful track that I have an infinite amount of respect for now.

Hated Nordschleife in Gran Turismo 4. Fast forward 10 years, tried the old Snoopy version in Assetto Corsa, and oh my, the track is ****ing awesome. Needless to say I was in love with the laserscanned version.

Another interesting “negative” question might be:
Is there any individual turn, or complex of turns, you dislike so much that it makes you not drive a track?
That stupid back-stretch kink at Imola!

And this coming from someone who likes and appreciates Imola but boy does that kink drive me crazy. It's so hard to consistently be fast through there fro me.

I usually have a deep respect for anyone racing quickly around any circuit and to be able to drive them virtually with the cars we have access to in our sims is truly wondrous.
So I'm usually too busy watching races in awe to not appreciate them.
I used to think China was a bit of a disappointment, but once I had to practice it for the Asian R3E GT3 event here in Malaysia last year, it took on so much more importance than before. It's fast and technical and to get it right each lap takes a lot of patience and commitment.

Another circuit that I've just recently felt the same about was for the GT3 race on ACC this morning. I never used to rate Hungaroring until I had to practice and then race on it. Again, another technical circuit that takes an awful lot of precision to get right. I think I even improved my lap time this morning by over a second!

Autódromo Internacional Orlando Moura
Also known as Autódromo Internacional de Campo Grande in brasil

Autódromo_Internacional_Orlando_Moura

Okayama (岡山国際サーキット) International Circuit:
AC Track Link:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/okayama-international-circuit.15846/

I personally never have been to the track in real life, nor have I seen any classic F1 races here... But I did do some research and was able to come up with a cool description for the track myself using Google Translate from the Japanese source, Wiki and another track info site. After some research and looking up, the more and more I started to love the track. For how tiny it is and how little turns there is, corner exit and managing your speed play the biggest role in getting fast lap times. And with the small little changes in elevation, car balance and control is never more important; especially through corners like Atwood Curve or Revolver Corner. The more I drove it, the more I came to appreciate tracks of all different sorts of sizes and lengths; Like the Green Hell. Okayama opened my door to new horizons, and it was that track that I fell in love with Assetto Corsa:

Okayama international Circuit:
Coordinates: 34° 54′ 54″ N, 134° 13′ 16″ E
Time zone: GMT +9
Road surface: Special asphalt pavement
Length: 3.703 km (2.300 mi)
Width: 12m ~ 15m
Turns: 13
- 01: Moses [Stirling MOSS] (モスエス)
- 02: Atwood curve [Richard ATTWOOD] (アトウッドカーブ)
- 03: Back straight [Back Stretch] (バックストレート)
- 04: Hairpin
- 05: Revolver corner [Revolver Corner] (リボルバーコーナー)
- 06: Piper corner [David PIPER] (パイパーコーナー)
- 07: Red Man Corner [Brian REDMAN] (レッドマンコーナー)
- 08: Hobbes corner [David HOBBS] (ホッブスコーナー)
- 09: Mike Knight Corner [Mike KNIGHT] (マイクナイトコーナー)
- 10: Last corner [Last Corner] (最終コーナー)
- 11: Main Straight [Main Stretch] (メインストレート)
- 12: First corner [First Corner] (第1コーナー)
- 13: Williams Corner [Jonathan WILLIAMS] (ウイリアムズコーナー)
Straight lengths:
- Main straight about 600 m (1.08% descent gradient)
- Back straight about 700 m (1.10% climb gradient)
Pit: Permanent 54 pieces (4.7 m × 10.0 m)
Course’s highest point:
- Hobbes corner (altitude 275m)
- Atwood curve (altitude 246m)
- height difference 29m
Major events:
- Super GT
- MFJ Superbike
- Super Taikyu
- WTCC (former)
- F1 Pacific Grand Prix (former)
Personal lap record:
"1:09.843" (Seth Villamil, Formula Hybrid 2018 S1, 2018)
Qualifying lap record:
"1:10.218" (Michael Schumacher, Benetton B194, 1994)
Race lap record:
"1:14.023: (Michael Schumacher, Benetton B194, 1994)
Okayama International Circuit (岡山国際サーキット), named TI Circuit Aida (TIサーキット英田) until December 31, 2004, is a 3.7-kilometre (2.3 mi) private motorsport race track in Mimasaka, Okayama Prefecture, Japan. TI was the abbreviation of "Tanaka International" after the name of the golf club owner, Hajime Tanaka, though the name of the circuit was officially "TI Circuit Aida". As well as hosting racing events, the circuit has rental facilities including bikes and go karts available.
It is a technical course consisting of two long straights and 13 corners. Each corner is named after a former driver. With amazing sightseeing spots such as the "First corner" (第1コーナー) immediately after the start, or the descent of the "Revolver corner" (リボルバーコーナー) right after the "Hairpin" and finally the "W" hairpins of ( Brian Redman (レッドマンコーナー) · David Hobbes (ホッブスコーナー) ), it makes for great shots and moments! The distance between the course and the audience is perfect, allowing for an intimate experience while watching the race.
History:
The course was opened in 1990 as a private race track for the wealthy. Soon, it hosted its first race, staged by veteran British drivers.
In 1994 and 1995, the TI Circuit hosted the Formula One Pacific Grand Prix; both events were won by Michael Schumacher in his early title-winning years. This race made Japan one of only seven countries to ever host more than one Formula One event in the same year. It was discontinued primarily due to its location in a remote area of Japan.
In March 2003, "Tanaka International Company", parent company of "TI Circuit Company", applied for Civil Rehabilitation Law. After the application, Unimat Holding Co., Ltd. announced that it would support TI Circuit Company. The owner of the circuit was renamed Okayama International Circuit Co., Ltd. on May 1, 2004, and the name of the circuit was renamed "Okayama International Circuit" on January 1, 2005.
On October 26, 2008, the circuit hosted a round of the Formula V6 Asia and FIA World Touring Car Championship. The WTCC race was the first world championship FIA race since 1995. However, it was announced on June 21, 2010 that Suzuka Circuit would host the Japan round of the 2011 WTCC season instead of the Okayama International Circuit.
A memorable circuit that Michael Schumacher took the first win in the 1994 Formula 1 season. In this GP, he qualified with a "1:10.218", a course record that will be a super lap in qualifying, and he won the pole position. This record is still not broken. In the final, Schumacher, who was second in qualifying, won the championship as he got caught in a crash in the first corner immediately after the start.
Michael Schumacher won the championship in 1995 and his shining two crowns there at Okayama International Circuit (then TI Circuit Ueda).
Getting There:
Okayama International Circuit is located at Mimasaka, in Japan's Okayama Prefecture. The nearest airport is at Okayama, offering a few international flights to Asia-Pacific destinations and scheduled flights to Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Okayama Airport is around a 75 minute from the circuit.
The track is not the easiest to reach, being located some 200 miles southwest of Tokyo between Osaka and Hiroshima. From Okayama, take the Sanyo Expressway and exit at the Wake interchange. From there follow National Highway Route 374, County Road 414 and County Road 46 until you reach the main circuit entrance. The circuit does not benefit from large parking areas and therefore major events tend to have buses laid on – check the circuit or event website for details.
TimeLine:
- November 18, 1990
"TI Circuit AEDA" opened
- June 16, 1991
Two wheeled freshman race held for the first time
- September 01, 1991
Four-wheel Freshman race held for the first time
- March 15, 1992
First round of the All-Japan All-Japan Championship held
- April 17, 1994
F1 world championship "F1 Pacific GP" held for the first time
- September 25, 1994
First round of the All-Japan All-Japan Championship
- October 22, 1995
F1 World Championship "F1 Pacific GP" held
- November 15, 1998
All Japan GT Championship first held (all-star match)
- January 02, 2005
Course name changed to "Okayama International Circuit"
- October 26, 2008
FIA World Touring Car Championship Japan First held
- February 10, 2017
Racing course refurbishment

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%