Question Time: The Track You Didn't Appreciate Until Driving It In A Sim

The Nordschleife, at first i thought it was way too long and complicated to learn, but then i did some laps and i found amazing how much the track would change during the lap. You went from a flat out fast sector to a long sector full of medium-low speed corners and elevation changes. After hundreds of laps in a dozens of different games, it became my favourite track

I have this love and hate relationship with Road America... When I read its name first tought is always "Boring", than I drive it, enjoy it, even have some fun, than I start hating it again...
Based on that description I think I should marry it. :p

Last edited:
not really. tracks i liked before i ended up liking to drive, ones i thought were rubbish (for tilke based reasons usually) i still didn't like after driving them.

Last edited:
To be honest, I wouldn't know any track without driving them in sims. I wasn't interested in motorsports in the slightest, before simracing

(And I wasn't interested in simracing in the slightest, before testing it with FFB wheel)

Last edited:
Imola (AC).
Small, boring and "well known old F1 track" until you try it and realize how neat and interesting every corner is.

Imola (AC).
Small, boring and "well known old F1 track" until you try it and realize how neat and interesting every corner is.
Agreed, although I preferred the actual driving of the one with the final corner chicane and more open 3rd chicane(I don't know all the names - sue me). But Aqua Minerale is a beast of a corner to nail, so infuriating yet rewarding.

Actually COTA.
I had some races there in Iracing with the LMPs and GTs and especially in the faster cars it is quite interesting and very technical, which I like. Still no competition for classics like Road America, Road Atlanta etc but good nonetheless.
Agree. Always thought COTA is just another cookie cutter Tilke track
put together from "stolen" corners of existing famous tracks and with
the typical long straight-sharp hairpin combination(s) in cooperation
with miles of run off, often in bright colors of course, and last but not
least with these modern "three fold curbs".
OK in principle all of this is actually true and not much different to
other Tilke tracks but if you drive on it this circuit turns out to be good
fun surprisingly. COTA is decent on TV at best but quite good in a
virtual cockpit as i have realised in the meantime.
But like you said Fabian, nowhere near as good as those traditional
US tracks which i'm loving sooo much:inlove:.

You are the first person i heard who like Herman Tike tracks. Most say they prevent overtaking and good racing.

:D

I’m also shocked by myself.
However the last years when I tried several Tilke tracks (in AC) with modern F1 cars I came to the conclusion that some of his circuits are not that bad (Bahrain, Istanbul, COTA, Malaysia are my favourites). Thing is: you have to drive them with LMP2s at least, better LMP1s or F1s otherwise you probably fall asleep.

There's two for me.

The 1st one is Indianapolis Super Speedway. I knew it was a classic track with a lot of history but was in the mindset of "how hard can it be" just like someone else mentions above about driving ovals. That all changed when I, for the first time, drive an HSO made 1973 IndyCar around the track, it's far from easy. But with that said, the more downforce you have, the easier it seems to me so the more modern the car I've driven since, the easier it is, compared to that 1st time '73 Machine....

The 2nd one is Targa Florio. Having only seen pictures of it I finally got the chance to drive in in rFactor with the Voiturettes (50's Grand Prix Machines) and boy is it a wonderful place to drive. I understood that it was a difficult place to race but not how difficult it was. The men and women of yesteryear were either brave or maniacs (or a bit of both) to have raced it for as many years as they did...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back