Question regarding mod instaltion

I am new to the game. I know where I have to place downloaded mods and how to activate them. Do I have to keep them in that folder ? Does the game install it from there to the game folder ?
I have a small SSD for my system and a bigger one for my game installs. I could run out of disk space on my C: drive.

All mods have to be installed into the mod folder, they cannot be moved from there. The mod folder is used by the game to locate and activate mods when the game is loaded. All the game does with the mods is load them when you load up your profile.

I see, thanks for the reply. That explains the longer loading times as well once I put mods into it. Guess I will have to be more selective with what I put into the game.
Thanks again.

I have another question regarding the removal of mods.
If I remove them in the mod manager I am getting a message that said mod is missing from the game. Obviously. Can I load my game regardless of this, or can this cause damage to the saved game?

Edit 12/08 20:00
Never Mind. Had to try and find out myself. Had to remove all mods because one caused problems. The savegame itself stays intact but the current job I was doing was canceled without any punishments. Just in case someone needs to know.

Last edited:
I am new to the game. I know where I have to place downloaded mods and how to activate them. Do I have to keep them in that folder ? Does the game install it from there to the game folder ?
I have a small SSD for my system and a bigger one for my game installs. I could run out of disk space on my C: drive.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/discussions/0/558754260291897985/
Please read the complete topic as there is a warning in the second last post (not sure if still works)
(I would create a partition of 15 /20 GB only for the mods, if something goes wrong you only loose those mods)

edit: tested -homedir " works but also not works as most mods are not to be seen hmm
Also lost my test profile when the game loaded from the new folder so you be warned

if above not works, google on junction link or when on windows10 symlink
its about making a shadow mod folder on your HD, you put all mods in there :)
with some magic its then system linked to the mod folder on C: and ETS2 loads the mods from the HD mod folder

For win7 I use this one
https://www.download3k.com/Install-Junction-Link-Magic.html

for win10 some work in dos is needed it seems
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Last edited:
Thanks, I look into this when I got time.

So far I tried several mods but also deleted some of them already as they were causing problems or were simply not worth keeping. Maybe it won't be that much of a problem with disc space after all. I was just overwhelmed initially with the amount of mods out there and I know how fast my GTL/GTR2 folders grew.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%