Question: Is it impossible to now use DX9?

Littlefysh

Professional Nutcase
I'm someone on a laptop that can't match what DX11 RF2 needs and I'm not in a situation to change that. Somewhat frustratingly, I'm also a lover of Endurance (24 hour especially) multiclass series with large grids eg. Le Mans or Rolex 24.

I was using RF2 in DX9 with 44 cars no problem. I then started to test and tweak DX11 to see if I could get that working, but I couldn't. So I went to switch back to DX9 and found that I couldn't, the option in the properties tab and "opt into beta" dropdown menu isn't there anymore.

Is it now impossible to run RF2 in DX9?

you can opt in to an older beta in the steam section, but that will prevent any new content from working. Most of the new cars and tracks are targeted at dx11 and include code updates not available in one of the older versions of the game. So you can run dx9, you just have to limit your choice of mods and original cars/tracks to dx9 only.

It's not strictly speaking impossible, you can still switch to DX9, but the DX9 build hasn't been updated in some time, so you won't be able to join most servers and a lot of the content will have issues. Don't expect to be able to use any of the up-to-date content.

So it's essentially useless, yes.

Not sure where the problem is if you're missing the "beta" tab completely, it should be there. Have you tried to restart Steam just to be sure?

My sincere apologies for this absolutely useless post. Steam threw an oops it appears. Essentially what happened is that the options I had for previous versions only contained the latest release, the one before that and the release version 1.0. I tried restarting Steam, restarting my laptop, hard restarting my laptop and it was still as described.

However, I leave for a few hours, come back and it's all there again! I've absolutely no idea what happened or why it changed. Thank you all for the input anyhow, much appreciated.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 201 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.2%