F1 2013 [Question] How to replace correctly engine's sounds?

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey guys, I'm new here and I have a question about modding

I wanted to replace a v6 engine to Marussia, and I used EGO File Converter to edit carsetups.xml in audio folder. I rename the Marussia engine bundle with the v6 engine.

It works and the game didn't crash, but when I tested the car, the engine sounds "double", like it would has two engine sounds, the principal (v6) and a secundary "background" sound that makes it sound out of syncronization, like a "double" sound, no clean. And that doesn't happen with the real v6 retro car. That car sounds perfect, without that "background engine sound". Cleanly. That only happen in the modern cars when I replace the engines.

That happens with all the others engines sounds except v10 (classic_v10_30_v1 v2 and v3). But, in reality, what happens is that the sound of these engines are so loudly, that it "covers" the "background sound" and disimulate it very well, almost imperceptible.

I tried replacing distant_tone_media_modern and those kind of files in soundbanks but NONE of these files changed the "background" sound. NONE. I really don't know from where the hell it's coming that bastard sound.

In cars folder, there are no folders or files that config the sounds of the cars. Only textures files and performance files, and I tried to open ctf files with EGO CTF Editor but I couldn't find anything audio modificable value. Only numbers and a lot of columns with strange descriptions (better no touch nothing...)

Does someone know wich file or document I have to modify to change that "background engine sound"????

When it is most noticeable, it is when I deccelerate the car. At about 100km / h or 60mph the sound "changes", the background sound disappears and gives way to the main sound, and that is the only time where it sounds "Clean and perfect" like the original. Curious thing.

Last edited:
I found something

I replace the ctf file (in tracks folder) of the c01 car and I put it in marusia track folder. The background sound changed! But, the performance too.

But I can't find anything about sound in that ctf file

I solved the problem

Investigating, I discovered that if I want to put a v6 engine, for it to be heard correctly I must also copy the CTF from the TRACKS folder of the respective car, and then open it with the CTF EDITOR and put the statistics back as the original CTF so as not to alter the performance.

And I discovered that the '90s car engines (folders c33, c34, c35, etc) are located in DOWNLOAD, so I searched the internet and found a program: quickbms, which also puts an additional script on the page " codemasters_nefs.bms ", you have to put it in the quickbms folder and then with that program you can unpack the 1990 cars and 2 circuits; IMOLA AND ESTORIL

And also get the CTF of, for example, the Ferrari from 1999

Soon it will be 10 years since the launch of this game, but maybe someone will use my little contribution.

Greetings and let's go Boca Juniors

To find out which folder each engine corresponds to (folders c01, c02, c33, c35, etc), simply go to carsetups.xml in the AUDIO folder (open it with the EGO FILE CONVERTER) and search. For example I want a classic_v10_30_v3 engine and put it on the Marussia. Then I look for it and I see that in Car Name it says "c33". So I replace the name of the engine to the Marussia and I'm going to find the CTFs in the TRACKS folder of the c33 car already unpacked with the quickbms.

I copy a file and replace it in TRACKS, in Marussia folder. Then, with the CTF Editor I open the original ctf of the marussia and the replaced ctf, and to the replaced one I put the values of the original ctf.

It can be a bit tedious, but in the end it is extremely rewarding.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years