Question for Jim or any other American user on this subforum.

Hello, I bought a XFX Radeon HD 6850 with 2 6-pin power connection outputs.

My 500W PSU does not have those connectors, so, I hope I can purchase some adapter of sorts.

When I attached my card to my PCI Express x16 2.0 slot, it was not detected when I used the onboard video signal, nor did the picture appear even though POST went successfully.

I can't even install the XFX drivers.

What is going on?

I hope I can purchase the auxilary adapter at Best Buy.

Do nearby retail chains sell a 4-pin PSU connector to 2 x 6-pin SLI/Crossfire connectors, which may be unlikely?

What you need is 2x molex to 6 pin gpu, this comes normaly with a GPU.

You need to disable the onboard gpu in the bios.

What you need is 2x molex to 6 pin gpu, this comes normaly with a GPU.

You need to disable the onboard gpu in the bios.

Explain why I need two Molex male connectors to a 6-pin PCI Express connector when I need a cable the other way 'round in terms of the quantity you mentioned.

I'm planning to purchase a new power supply.

650W to 750W is ideal in this case.

New PSU have 2 or 4 - 6+2 pins.
My corsair HX650 has 4 - 6+2 pin for sli.
When you buy a new one get one with modulair cabels, you only use the ones you need.

as for the molex to 6 pin, you need to have 2 molex to 6pin for enough power, google it and you see what I mean.

Peter is right in that you will need a connector that is 2X molex to PCI-e for your graphics card. If the card has 2 power slots, then it is possible you would need 2 of them.

As to the reason you are not getting video, the card will not display anything on your monitors at all without the extra power from the PSU. Your system will post because there is enough power to be identified for post reasons, but not enough to actually put anything onto your display. I am afraid that the only option I would even think about would be to get the power supply as soon as you can.

BTW, some cards require both power connectors be used, while others only require a single one to be used. I would go with using them both to be sure that things work as intended.

Also, if you can't afford it, a modular PSU isn't required, but they do make cable management nice :)

I don't have an extra Molex slot, so, I am screwed there.

Not sure where you'd get them from where you are but you can get pass through cables to give you more. Or, one end of the cable is a make molex and the other end is a male/female combined. You plug an existing molex from say a hdd into the combined end an that combined pig back into the hdd.

Be careful though. If you don't have any remaining atm then your power supply may not have many septate rails. Adding to much to the ones you do have may cause instability under load. Worth trying though before dropping money on a new psu.

Adding "extra" molex connectors by putting in splitters is never a good idea. The main reason is that the PSU only has a certain amount of amps available and splitting to power so many different items will almost surely tax the amount of available amps of the PSU. When you run out of amps, things start to go weird and there is a good chance that something is going to die due to not enough power. Another thing about using splitters is that every single connection you make from the PSU to a device adds resistance to the electrical current. This causes undo heat and will reduce the voltage that is actually making it to the device.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%