Question About Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10

I'm still running Windows 7 on my non-gaming PC. Now, it's finally time to upgrade to Windows 10 (I don't want 8.x) because this year's version of the tax software I use requires 8.1 or above.

My questions is: Is the upgrade still free? I found sites via Google and some Youtube videos saying that the free upgrade still works (but is not officially supported). Are these sites/videos legitimate?

Thanks!

I was in same situation a few months ago. I did try the upgrade but it failed for me as my W7 Pro key was not recognised even though I knew it was legit version. I ended up buying retail DVD Pro vesion on Ebay for £19. Upgrade may work for you but I found having DVD ended up easier to install on my PC.

I was in same situation a few months ago. I did try the upgrade but it failed for me as my W7 Pro key was not recognised even though I knew it was legit version. I ended up buying retail DVD Pro vesion on Ebay for £19. Upgrade may work for you but I found having DVD ended up easier to install on my PC.
Thanks to all for your replies.

Kevin - Could you elaborate a bit on your experience? What specifically failed when you tried the upgrade, and did it result in destroying your existing Win7 OS? IOW, could you still run Win7 after the upgrade failed? (So, is it safw for me to try it?)

Also - What made installing from the DVD you bought easier? Was the DVD an "upgrade" version or full version of Win10.

FWIW - my present OS is Win7 Home Premium which I installed from Windows Vista using a DVD specically marked as an "upgrade for Windows Vista".

Thanks again!
Bert

I went from win7 to 10 about 6months ago using the free upgrade which worked fine.
You will see the instructions on Youtube,follow them and as said dowload the MS media creation tool and go from that.
I would try it for nothing before forking out dosh!!
I was sceptical at first but I have since upgraded another PC using the same method and it worked well also...good luck.
PS if your worried about messing things up, you wont as the Media creation tool will check to see if the upgrade is possible before it goes ahead...so it will terminate before any problems arrise.
Remember the download is from Microsoft directly so if its still available grab it while you can.
You DO NOT get the upgrade from a third party site, so as long as its still going you have no concerns with a dodgy site.

Last edited:
Here's how to get Windows 10 for free, if you're currently running a licensed and activated copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Home or Pro:

1. Go to the Download Windows 10 website.

2. Under Create Windows 10 installation media, click Download tool now and Run.

3. Choose Upgrade this PC now, assuming this is the only PC you're upgrading. (If you're upgrading a different machine, choose Create installation media for another PC, and save the installation files.)

4. Follow the prompts.

5. When the upgrade is complete, go to Settings Update & Security > Activation, and you should see a digital license for Windows 10.

--------------------

I don't know if it still works.

Source :

Windows 10 free download: How to get the upgrade now - CNET

Thanks to all for your replies.

Kevin - Could you elaborate a bit on your experience? What specifically failed when you tried the upgrade, and did it result in destroying your existing Win7 OS? IOW, could you still run Win7 after the upgrade failed? (So, is it safw for me to try it?)

Also - What made installing from the DVD you bought easier? Was the DVD an "upgrade" version or full version of Win10.

FWIW - my present OS is Win7 Home Premium which I installed from Windows Vista using a DVD specically marked as an "upgrade for Windows Vista".

Thanks again!
Bert

I can't remember exactly why I had problems. I would just be sure to back up everything you have before doing the upgrade. I noted down every setting for all my sims so could redo if something didn't work out. As I mentioned mine failed at recognising my W7 key. I think, but not 100% sure, I was then returned to my original W7 desktop with no changes made.

It may have been my PC setup that caused me install problems so made me get the full version W10 DVD and carry out fresh install. I prefer to have hard copy of the OS than relying on download then creating bootable USB etc. To be honest I'd been running W7 for years so a fresh install to W10 was probably better for me than the upgrade in hindsight.

Here's how to get Windows 10 for free, if you're currently running a licensed and activated copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Home or Pro:

1. Go to the Download Windows 10 website.

2. Under Create Windows 10 installation media, click Download tool now and Run.

3. Choose Upgrade this PC now, assuming this is the only PC you're upgrading. (If you're upgrading a different machine, choose Create installation media for another PC, and save the installation files.)

4. Follow the prompts.

5. When the upgrade is complete, go to Settings Update & Security > Activation, and you should see a digital license for Windows 10.

--------------------

I don't know if it still works.

Source :

Windows 10 free download: How to get the upgrade now - CNET

Andrew - that source video you reference has a disclaimer at the end which says that Win 10 does not support a "serial mouse or serial keyboard".

My mouse is USB, so no prob there. But my keyboard came with the (now 8 year old) PC and plus into a small round port dedicated for the keyboard. So does that make my keyboard a "serial keyboard"?

Thanks!

I can't remember exactly why I had problems. I would just be sure to back up everything you have before doing the upgrade. I noted down every setting for all my sims so could redo if something didn't work out. As I mentioned mine failed at recognising my W7 key. I think, but not 100% sure, I was then returned to my original W7 desktop with no changes made.

It may have been my PC setup that caused me install problems so made me get the full version W10 DVD and carry out fresh install. I prefer to have hard copy of the OS than relying on download then creating bootable USB etc. To be honest I'd been running W7 for years so a fresh install to W10 was probably better for me than the upgrade in hindsight.

OK - Thanks, Kevin.

My mouse is USB, so no prob there. But my keyboard came with the (now 8 year old) PC and plus into a small round port dedicated for the keyboard. So does that make my keyboard a "serial keyboard"?
No, a serial keyboard is related to DIY stuff like Arduino boards, cashier keyboards, that kind of stuff.
My Z490 motherboard only has Win 10 drivers, which is why I had to move to Win 10.
It still has a PS/2 Input though for Keyboard/Mouse :)

At least that's my understanding of it... I might be wrong but I'm very sure!

About the "fresh install" topic:
I would try to upgrade and if it works, nice. Your Win 7 key is then a Win 10 key.
If it worked but you get system hiccups, instabilities or weird behavior, I would do a fresh install with your Win 7 key, which is then a Win 10 key :p

No, I don't but I'm out of available USB ports!
Not really topic related but I know we have some good threads here at RD about problem-free USB extension cards! So if you ever need more USB, search the forums for USB extension card and you should find good recommendations.

As far as I know they are all pretty much plug&play but there are standard drivers that make the difference. With simracing you don't need maximum transfer speeds but instead the most stable connection you can get.

Alternatively you can search for powered USB hub recommendations and make 8 ports out of one :p

Not really topic related but I know we have some good threads here at RD about problem-free USB extension cards! So if you ever need more USB, search the forums for USB extension card and you should find good recommendations.

As far as I know they are all pretty much plug&play but there are standard drivers that make the difference. With simracing you don't need maximum transfer speeds but instead the most stable connection you can get.

Alternatively you can search for powered USB hub recommendations and make 8 ports out of one :p
Thanks for the info, Rasmus. But this discussion is about my NON-Racing PC. I have a separate, more powerful PC for racing sims. :)

One (hopefully) last question before I try this process tomorrow....

Will Windows 10 insist on me setting or entering a password upon boot-up? I DON'T have a boot-up password on Windows 7, and I don't want to have to start using one for Windows 10.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help.
Bert

I would always recommend to set a password. Not just because it's "more secure" but because it makes life easier sometimes.

You can use netplwiz (just type it into the search bar) to check "users don't have to type in their password" or something like that.
Then you type in your password 2x and windows will automatically login without asking you.

When I grew up I did a LAN party every second week for a year or two. Rule number one: make sure everyone has a password.

When you want to access files on another pc, it might work without a password. Or it might not.. You might see the other pc.. Or you might not...

With passwords, you can access that pc with the username + password and you're 99,99% good to go.

If you don't need that or if it works fine without passwords, great. I always set one.. Old habits...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back