Question about Intel Turbo Boost

Googled around, still not sure.
I *think* I know the answer here, but...
Should I be using Turbo with my new i5 9600KF for playing multithread using games like Assetto Corsa, Arma3 etc?

Looking at this chart, it seems like it will speed up a couple of cores at the expense of others.
i5.jpg

So if I set it to 4.6GHz in the bios, will it just stop using the other cores? Or should I just set it to 4.3 so it always uses all 6?
I'm assuming that it is dynamic and will adjust still use other cores some depending on load, making 4.6GHz setting a bit faster overall?

I struggled with heat on my 9600k, even though the voltage was at 1.25v, no high voltage over clock.
Cannot comment on your air cooler, but had a big problem cooling it. Maybe I was just unlucky.
In the end solved it with an open air case and custom water cooling, admittedly simply done.
So be warned.:)

My MSI board has some confusing overclocking options that seem to separately control turbo mode overclocking and general CPU clocking.

Multithreaded games still have threads trailing other threads and that can cause frame delays, or rather make them worse. Turbo helps here. As a thread continues when the others are finished it would get a higher turbo.

On the other hand many real-time games fill "spare" CPU time in a frame with optional work. That way your important thread would not get turbo mode. Then you can as well crank up the entire PC.

I would use a benchmark that carefully measures minimum framerate (not AC's benchmark) and compare the two.

friend,
My real experience: I have Intel I5 3570
Basic Processor Frequency
3.40 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency
3.80 GHz

I have never noticed the lack of performance, or delays, or co-configure anything manually. Everything is automatic when required, In fact, he uses it in any desktop task when necessary. :thumbsup: .not is hyper threading. I don't have gpu. only hd graphics 2500 for games.

Last edited:
Don't use turbo/mce/auto oc. Do a manual all core clock and uses c-states and steedstep to let the voltage and freq drop at idle. You'll need windows power plan set to balanced.

Doing all core, run either fixed/offset/adaptive voltage and the right level of llc for your board.

The goal is to have the highest all core frequency with the lowest *load* voltage while managing heat.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%