Question about Dynamic Groove

Cosmetic indeed. There is a overall grip multiplier. Going from 95% to 100% afaik.
When you go into the pits you'll be able to see value on the top left when looking at the "session" tab of the pit screen.
It won't go above 100 so if a track already starts with this, the grooves won't have any effect. If it starts lower it will go up the more laps are done.
It purely counts the done laps. Not the lines or anything!

interesting. I didn't know this.
So the track will be grippier on the 10th lap of a race (or qualifying session) than on the first lap?
It depends on how the multipliers are set.
When you create a server configuration you have different values to set. Don't remember them exactly but it's something like:
Start: (95-100)
End: (95-100)
"increase per lap"
"driver amount multiplier"
"session overlap" (should it become a bit greener when going from practice to qualy since in theory there might be a day between sessions or should it stay where it ends?)

So you can set a start and a maximum end value and configure the amount that the value increases. Last year the racedepartment servers where set to start at around 97% which meant about 1 second slower laptimes around most tracks with 100% overlap amount from session to session and a maximum of 100.

It mostly meant that the second half of qualy was done at 99 or 100% and the race started at 100.

5% grip difference seems to be very little but it means sliding all over the place vs massive grip, lol!

But it only influences the whole track and the full width of it.

Yeah you have starting grip percentage, gain (how many laps to gain 1%) IIRC we use 100ish, session transfer & randomness.

It is good practice to look at the grip when you join a server... and ideally keep checking it.

For example SRS starts with very low grip and has a low gain so it shoots up quickly and IIRC their servers don't transfer 100% to the next session so it drops off at race start. They may have changed it though, I don't race there that often.

Would anyone be in favour of a slightly grippier racing line? Or rather, lower grip off the racing line? Maybe 3-4% :unsure:

I know it wouldn't be 100% realistic as the racing line would have more grip even when set to 'green' but it might be an extra challenge to overtake off-line. I'm happy to try this out on my almost-completed Deutschlandring track.
I'd love it!

Would anyone be in favour of a slightly grippier racing line? Or rather, lower grip off the racing line? Maybe 3-4% :unsure:

I know it wouldn't be 100% realistic as the racing line would have more grip even when set to 'green' but it might be an extra challenge to overtake off-line. I'm happy to try this out on my almost-completed Deutschlandring track.
For sure!

Yeah, I do find that to be quite a good idea. Is 3 to 4% quite a lot of diffference though? (I don't actually know myself as I don't look too closely at grip).

Well, Green is 95%, and Fast is 98%, Dusty is 86% and Old is 89% by default, so it would take a bit of experimentation so get it right. Or, I guess I could bundle a selection of 'off line' surfaces (for MP), or you could edit the surfaces.ini to alter the off-racing-line grip value yourself.

I just sent x4fab a PM asking him if he thinks the grip levels could be scripted and controlled by CM, so that at the start of the race both on- and off-racing-line have the same grip level, but as the race progresses only the racing-line grip increases. I have no idea if that is possible, but there's no harm in asking I guess :)

Well, Green is 95%, and Fast is 98%, Dusty is 86% and Old is 89% by default, so it would take a bit of experimentation so get it right. Or, I guess I could bundle a selection of 'off line' surfaces (for MP), or you could edit the surfaces.ini to alter the off-racing-line grip value yourself.

I just sent x4fab a PM asking him if he thinks the grip levels could be scripted and controlled by CM, so that at the start of the race both on- and off-racing-line have the same grip level, but as the race progresses only the racing-line grip increases. I have no idea if that is possible, but there's no harm in asking I guess :)
It could potentially be done by the patch, but CM can’t do it on its own.

ABSOLUTELY, that would be amazing. I hate the fact that grip is applied equally across the track. It encourages poor driving that you wouldn't be able to do in real life. The person who is on the racing line should have a benefit of slightly better grip IMO.

I'm wondering how it would work. If you split your road objects into two and make the non-racing line parts named something like 01SLIPPERY and set the grip lower for that mesh.. how does ac actually handle that grip difference when the user adjusts the grip levels inside ac and in the server configs? Do both surfaces get adjusted by the same multiplier or is it something else?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.7%