Question about creating tyre skins.

Hi all!

As the title says, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I just want to add a logo to a tyre, not a full texture (which would require a new model), but just a brand logo, like this one:
e5YGtR7.jpg

The tyre in question is the one in the URD Formula Lights mod (in fact that's the Cooper logo I want to add), but I was also wondering if the method is similar in other mods. Based on other textures I've downloaded from here, there should be a tyre/rim map, but I just can't find it. Any help is appreciated!

If the texture isn't supplied in the template files, you can find the name of it using Content Manager's custom showroom. Clicking on a part of the car in that showroom will display the object name, material name, and list all textures used on that material. Clicking the little dots beside the texture name will bring up a window showing the default texture for the material (not the one from the skin you are looking at, but the default for the car).

That should get you a good starting point, at least. IIRC from all the RSS templates I've downloaded, though, they tend to include every texture the car uses in another folder in the archive file (thanks for that, RSS! :D) so have another look at the template ZIP file first and you may find the tire texture is supplied.

[EDIT] For some reason my brain went to RSS F2, not URD, when reading your post. The above method from Content Manager should get you there. It won't extract the texture for you, but it will get you the texture name, and display the default texture. You could screencap from there to use as a base for creating your new texture. You can also export AO and wireframe maps, as well.

@Ryno917 Thanks! I'm not really used to CM but I was able to pinpoint the textures I need. There is also what looks like an option to replace the textures in the .kn5 file. So if I can get ahold of a tool to extract the mappings, CM will replace them for me. I think I'm on the right direction now. Will update this thread if necessary. Again, thanks!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%