Question about AI driver names in a championship

I started a new custom championship and after the second race I noticed that the entire field of AI drivers changed their names, such that, the winner of the first race didn't even exist in the second race (it was a totally new list of names) but somehow points were totaled up. It appears that the second list of drivers somehow accumulated points based on the car#? I'm not really sure.
Anyone have any insight into how the championship works?
What is the difference between custom championship and a custom made career? Do the points work the same way?
Sorry this is confusing to me lol. I am a mostly offline player and would just like to run a few fantasy championships (or careers).. GT3, maybe some older series.

I guess you have set up the championship through the Content Manager? Because without CM i never seen this problem with custom championships. I am currently running 35 championships :confused: :coffee::rolleyes:
But unfortunately i can`t help you. Maybe someone with CM knowledge will.

I mean there is no big difference between career and custom championship. In custom championships u can still adjust things every single race.

Wow 35!? I would love to know what they are, (cars, tracks, points, etc.). Yes I was using Content Manager. I wasn't aware that I could make the custom championship seasons with the vanilla game.. Well.. maybe I did see something lol.
Thanks for the response. I may give it another try without CM.

Wow 35!? I would love to know what they are, (cars, tracks, points, etc.).

The cars are a good mix of Kunos cars, free mods (most packs), or pay mods (The good ones are worth every Cent).

If i set up a "real" series i google the tracks, the driver names and point system if available.
Furthermore i try to use real cars and some skins if possible.
Setting up a "fantasy" championship i try to find real driver names, which would make sense and choose good tracks for the given car-class.
For example 60th Touring Cars are not fun at Monza or Paul Ricard ...

In short these are the championships i have created:

Truck Racing
ATN (Argentinian Touring Cars)
GT3 Blancpain Europe
GT3 Blancpain Asia
GT3 US
Touring Legends 60s
Touring Legends 70s
F1 1967
F1 1975
F1 1991
GT One
DTM 90th
DTM 2018
DRM
CART 1999
FIA GT 2003
FIA GT 2010
GT 4 Worldseries
GT 4 Euroseries
Prototypes 60-70th
GT Legends
LMP 1
IMSA 90th
BTCC 2016
JGTC 2000
Super GT500 2013
Retro Supercars
Mazda MX Cup
Audi TT RS Cup
Trans AM
WTCC 2008
ATCC Gr. A
ATCC Gr. C
Nippon Power
V8 supercars

Some cars in some series needs tweaking ( weight handicaps) for close racing.

Wow that is really impressive. Can you change the drivers names from within the game or is this is some file? And do the drivers keep their names throughout the championship?

Also, this is the custom championship and not the career? I'm still confused about these two things.

I'm very curious about the FIA GT 2003 season because I remember playing that in GTR2, so I kind of remember some of the driver names (I was not a fan of the sport until after I found GTR2, which was about 6 or 7 years late).

Anyway, you've really got me interested so I will definitely spend more time looking into this.

Yes you can change the driver names and the nationality, choose tracks and cars, laps, weather, track condition ... And yes this all stay during the championship.
You change all that in the vanilla game.
Every created championship is saved as a file in documents/assetto/champs.
So if somethig is wring or you want to change during the season it`s still possible by editing this files. But like said normaly not needed.

What you can`t do is adjust the drivers talent/strenght. This is only possible with CM i believe.
But my "trick" is i know already which fake driver in AC is fast and which maybe not. So every time setting up a championship i try of course replace the strong AI drivers with there strong real life counterparts.
Doing so i get not 100% accurate results but at the end of the day a Senna, Schumacher, Mansell .... will drive for the win.

Another thing is you can give the cars weight handicaps. So here you could "cheat" a bit agains the weaker drivers. Like i mentioned before in some series its important, because some cars are stronger than others for example the DTM 90s cars are very uneven.

Once set up there are only 2 important things you must pay attention to.
For example you drive a FIA GT 2003 race and you have set the AI difficulty/strenght at 95%.
Next you want drive a Porsche Cup which you want drive at 93%. So just before the race start you have manually to switch the strenght from 95 to 93%.
You can imagine driving 35 championships at same time i can`t remeber which i drive at which strenght.
So setting up a Champinship i just name them as follow:
GT 3 Euro 97% or CART 1999 92% and so on..,,,

Its also worth to adjust the AI agressivness from series to series.
All open wheelers and very fast cars should have agressivness below 70. Otherwise you will probalbly not finish the race

While slower touring cars or classics you can crank up at 80 and higher. So they will sometimes fight each other. Yes even AC AI can do it :D
Last but not least cars like GT3 category are good at 75-80 agressivness.
But all those setting are also a personal taste .... just try

The other thing you must do is - after every race to wait untill the AI has finished and the results screen appear. Otherwise its possible the progress will not save.

So you are interested in FIA GT 2003 - thats among the best choice you couldt have, because its based on the Race Sim Studio GT Pack.
And this content (pay mod) is among best you can get in AC. best quality in visuals, sound and physics.

As this content is a paymod you have to buy it from RSS. You will see due the licencing issues the cars has false names and logos.
But here at RD you will find a "patch" converting this into the real world thing.

As i can remember you can get all the real tracks for this particular season.
Otherwise as there are all free mods i can upload the whole track pack if you want. All tracks with working AI and newest updates if available in the www.
i could even upload the ready championship file. It should work, so you just need to modify that by your wishes.

ufff..... that was morre stuff i originaly wanted to say :D:laugh:

I will upload some screens if you are not familiar with the custom championship mode.

Last edited:
Kevin I am very grateful that you are doing this and thanks again!

I had tried CM with the SOL and CSP patch but.. I probably did not understand it.. and it was a lot of stuff also it added things I didn't care about.. so now I'm back to vanilla. I like this better (for now lol).

Thanks for the AI breakdown!

I don't yet have an interest in open wheel, and I pretty much had my Aggression always set at 95% never really had an issue. AI skill depends.. with the Mazda MX5 I can compete at somewhere around 93-96 skill (aggression still stayed at 95). It was fun racing. I can win a race but usually finish somewhere top 10 to mid pack.

Never tried open wheel cars at all actually so I will hold off on those.

I did enjoy the Nissan GTR 3?? and tried a few races at the same AI levels and pretty much ended up near the back of the pack finishing not last because some cars dropped out...but I imagine this is my lack of experience.

So I am excited; I will try to make the FIA GT season. Prefer 2005 (I remember this one the most in GTR2 lol)... or I can do the FIA GT 2003.
I'm ok with drivers not having the same skills as they did in real life, as I will just say someone had a bad year lol... something like that..

Unfortunately I have to wait until the weekend to spend a lot of time on it.. I have a crazy week :(.

I'm good with paying for a mod, so I will do some searching for this, as well as the patches.

Thanks again for posting all of this information. For some reason I was convinced that if you did not have CM you just wouldn't be happy playing AC.. not sure where I got that from lol..

Hi, no problem. AC is something like a passion :geek: and i am glad to share the passion with others.
Even better if i can help a little somewhere :thumbsup:

I like to add - you CAN use Custom Shader Patch without CM. And thats something i could not miss anymore.

While i can dispense CM mainly because it has his problems with the custom championships. Furthermore i am not interested to tinkle aroud with all those CM CSP and SOL updates and everytime little problems which come with any update...

I am running CSP 1.60 without an issue without CM. Just install manually. Its easy to do so.
Since there is no possibilty to run SOL without CM you will need another "weather" to keep AC looking great.

Here you can use the Natural Weather Patch as "SOL replacement light"
It comes with a good PPfilter, Wagnums Clouds and Natural Weather Mod.
Another great PP Filter which works good here without CM or SOL is the Immersive Filter (without reshade).

You can`t achieve that great looking pics or racing in the rain like SOL can, but you still become a massive improved looking AC.

Last edited:
Wow thanks again! Weekend is getting closer.. I might be busy lol.
I will definitely look into manually using CSP and that SOL replacement!

For me it is mostly that I like the simple look of AC in vanilla form, the menu that everyone seems to hate. CM is great too but the interface has way too much information for me and I never know which things do what.. checking boxes with very short tool tips that don't explain much are not what I like :).

.. oh and I don't care about the rain there is just no enjoyment for me racing in that.

Last edited:
Wow thanks again! Weekend is getting closer.. I might be busy lol.
I will definitely look into manually using CSP and that SOL replacement!

For me it is mostly that I like the simple look of AC in vanilla form, the menu that everyone seems to hate. CM is great too but the interface has way too much information for me and I never know which things do what.. checking boxes with very short tool tips that don't explain much are not what I like :).

.. oh and I don't care about the rain there is just no enjoyment for me racing in that.
As far i know the rain does not affect the driving (physics) itself. Its just visuals. And it looks fabulous.

But my "trick" is i know already which fake driver in AC is fast and which maybe not. So every time setting up a championship i try of course replace the strong AI drivers with there strong real life counterparts.
Doing so i get not 100% accurate results but at the end of the day a Senna, Schumacher, Mansell .... will drive for the win.

Hey, first of all i want to thank you for your very useful tipps regarding costum championships.
I have already made about 20 costum championships as well, so i guess we share that "hobby". ;)

I haven't solved the problem with the strength of the drivers yet, though - for example: in 80s touring car racing Roberto Ravaglia should drive for the win consistently.

So, i wanted to ask if you could share your findings regarding the strength of the fake driver names.

I have to say that i don't look forward to redoing all those championships again, but well... if it improves the immersion, so be it.:mad:

I have already made about 20 costum championships as well, so i guess we share that "hobby". ;)

So, i wanted to ask if you could share your findings regarding the strength of the fake driver names.

Hi. lol nice to know i am not the only freak out there :geek:

Of course i can share the names. Here we go, these is not the exact ranking, but at least this drivers should always drive in front of the grid:
Of course there are also lot driver i did not "discover" so far, and thes list is no guarantee

This drivers shoudt always drive for the podium/win:

Sauvage
Beatty
Cavey (Cawey)
Damiani
Hardy
Laine
Hermansson
Tifft
Campos

These probably will drive for the podium:

Borchard
Schroeder
Steinberg
Queshire
Schull
Molina
Morrill
Snyder

These should fight for good positions too:

Tobin
Brewer
Leitner
Ordonez
Gallardi
Alessi
Smith
Walther
Akiyama
Giugouvaz

All others could or should be weaker drivers, but like sad i did not discover and rated all. If i were you i would just mix some names from my list here with some others (weaker) drivers.

PS: What are your favorite created championships?

Thanks a lot!

I don't have any particular championship that i like better than others, to be honest. They're all Touring car championships from the 80s and 90s with extra races like the Guia race in Macau, Bathurst and the Mobil 500 Series in New Zealand.
To be honest, i'm not even that interested in circuit racing or motorsports in general. Big classic rallye fan though.
I just kinda like to dive into times that i couldn't fully witness because of my age - and kind of relive parts of them in a playful manner It's a little bit like time travelling.:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 162 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 157 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 119 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.2%