Question about a dedicated server for Race

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
I am working on a dedicated server for test purposes for 1 of the Racing teams. Since my own Internet connection is not quick enough, but my neighbours is, I got permission to set it up at his place.

However, to do so, I have to double login into steam.
1 session at his place, to have the server running
1 session at my place, to play the game.

Does anyone know if this is allowed within steam? I can't seem to find anything about it on Steam itself.

Thanks in advance,

Marco.

Hmmm Sorry, I forgot to update this threat...

Indeed, it is NOT possible to login to steam on 2 different PC's at once. It just says you are already logged in. Haven't tried to trick it, since I already decided to get myself a second account just for the server.

For now, I, or we I should say, are testing how many cars run smoothly on a 1 Mbit connection, before expanding to 6. If 6 aint enough for what we need, we can also go to 10. After that I am out of (home) options.

It use to work like this: logon server to steam. Start dedi. Logon on with game rig to steam. Server gets disconnected from steam but dedi stays running and connected to lobby. Not sure if it works like this anymore, another method can be found here, it just exits from steam properly selecting offline from community menu... http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20224595&postcount=2

Dedi is free anyway so second account is good option too.

10meg up is preferred but if there's no other traffic and servers ping (at least to ISP) is good it can be lower, at least 2MB is my recommendation. The traffic is not high in bandwidthwise, the latency is much more important.. If i remember somewhat correctly, the bandwidth peak is around ½meg with 15 players logged and 1 logging in but the peak is also is dependant of the players latency (peaking BW=bad!).. Higher bandwidths usually equal to better connections and cables but not always..And remeber to open ports if you use router!!!

Connection is in order. Had to search a bit in the router to open all needed ports, and set port forwarding correctly, but that works like a charm now.

I just wanted to test the connection, to see how many I can have. Yesterday, I had a race with 5 participants. Thats a bit to much for 1mbit. With 3 participants racing is smoothly, with no lag.

So, a simple calculation should tell me that the 6 mbit I am getting should be enough for at least 15 participants. 10 is enough for the team, so I should be alright...... I have no interest in hosting a server for public entrance, or for organizing real races. There are better servers for that. This one is just ment to serve as a test server to practice pitstops, driver changes, and stuff like that, so it doesn't need to be maxed out.

But as you said, higher bandwith USUALLY equals better connections :) Still have to wait and see what the max will be with the new ISP.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 350 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%