Qualifying laps

At the start of qualifying it says 1 of 3 but the first lapped counted is my out-lap and the 3rd lap isn't counted - actually before I can complete the 3rd lap it says something to the effect that I need to pit otherwise disqualified. So I end up with one qualifying lap.
Seems like a silly question but how are qualifying laps controlled - the amount of time or qualifying laps allowed? I can set number of laps for a race, but haven't seen a qualifying length of time or number of laps allowed. It must be something simple I'm overlooking...

the amount of time or qualifying laps allowed

Both: You could set X laps to do in X minutes.
- Set the amount of laps: out-lap + X hot laps + in-lap. Superpole is 1 hotlap ==> set 3 laps
- During your in-lap park you car safely and press ESC. Because if you cross the finish line during your in-lap, you could get another lap on the counter and you'll DQ. (ex: your pit spot is past the finish line)

I think Indy car allows 1 out-lap + 5 hot laps + 1 in-lap = 7
But keep in mind: if you crash in hotlap 2, you already did 1 out-lap + 2 hotlaps = 3
You can't do 5 hotlaps no more, because you'll have 4 laps left. 1 out-lap + 2 hotlaps + 1 in-lap

You can also set unlimited quali laps to do in X min. ;)

Time scale doesn't effect your quali time. If you set time scale on X20 and have a 30 min quali session. You are simulating 600 min.

Click on: Session settings
Click on: Qualifying on top of the screen.

+/- The same settings are applicable for Practice and Race.

For Race you can set 2 finish criteria: Laps or Time or Both.

Schermafdruk 2015-05-28 09.32.01.png

Schermafdruk 2015-05-28 09.20.24.png

Practice:
Set weather to "Scripted".
Then you can set your real road at "User-Auto-saved".
Set all other sessions to naturally progressing or user-auto-saved
Schermafdruk 2015-05-28 09.32.28.png

Last edited:
Advanced settings in the player.json

I've only filtered out the settings that are applicable for offline/single player mode.
Most have an explanation behind them.

Make a backup player.json before you experiment with these settings. :whistling:

"AI Aggression":1,
"AI Brake_Grip Usage":0.9725,
"AI Brake_Grip Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
"AI Brake_Power Usage":0.98,
"AI Brake_Power Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
"AI Calibrate Sample Size":5,
"AI Calibrate Sample Size#":"When AI calibration is set to 2, this is the number of trials the AI should run while testing each parameter. bigger # == larger file size of saved data",
"AI Corner_Grip Usage":0.97,
"AI Corner_Grip Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
"AI Fuel Mult":0.99,
"AI Fuel Mult#":"Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style",
"AI Limiter":0.05,
"AI Limiter#":"Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)",
"AI Logic Override":0,
"AI Logic Override#":"use bitfields to disable certain AI behaviors. 1= blocking line",
"AI Mistakes":0,
"AI Mistakes#":"a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency",
"AI Power Calibration":7,
"AI Power Calibration#":"Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)",
"Active Sleep Time":-1,
"Active Sleep Time#":"ms to sleep each loop if the game is the active app (-1 to disable). Consider setting to 1 or more if you are running a dedicated server on the same machine.",
"Auto Line Smoothing":0,
"Auto Line Smoothing#":"bit field where 1 = fastest line, 2 = left, 4 = right, and so on; add up each path's value you want to smooth for this parameter; note this causes multiplayer join lag!",
"Auto Skip Garaged Vehicles":false,
"Auto Skip Garaged Vehicles#":"If 1, vehicles in garage stalls will be skipped when cycling cameras. Set this value to 0 to see all vehicles; the left shift key can be held while cycling to dynamically suppend auto skipping.",
"Auto-change Opponent List":true,
"Auto-change Opponent List#":"whether to change the single-player allowed vehicle filter when player changes vehicles",
"Autocalibrate AI Mode":0,
"Autocalibrate AI Mode#":"When in a test day with 1 AI, AI will attempt to perfect his driving line, and save his knowledge for future use",
"Automatic Pit Menu":4,
"Automatic Pit Menu#":"brings up pit menu automatically: 0=disabled, 1=upon pit ENTRY, change cockpit menu but do not bring up HUD, 2=pit ENTRY->cockpit & HUD, 3=pit REQUEST->cockpit menu only, 4=pit REQUEST->cockpit & HUD",
"Basic Display":0,
"Basic Rules":0,
"Compress Replay":1,
"Compress Replay#":"0 (none) to 4 (highest); how much to compress VCR file (uses less disk space but takes more time to write when a session ends)",
"Damper Units":false,
"Damper Units#":"Display dampers (shocks) in garage as: 0 = setting (e.g. 1-20), 1 = rate (e.g. 1000-9000 N\/m\/s)",
"Debris Removal":30,
"Debris Removal#":"Seconds until stationary debris is removed from track",
"Difficulty":0,
"Disable NetComm":false,
"Disable NetComm#":"If 1, network features are disabled",
"Disable Resume in Replay":0,
"Disable Resume in Replay#":"if this is true, hitting resume in replay mode will send you directy to track, (so that if you are running mod mode, you can get a fastest path from a replay file",
"Disconnected Results":true,
"Disconnected Results#":"show results for clients disconnected at end of prac\/qual\/warmup",
"Display Driver Stats":false,
"Display Track Stats":false,
"Exit Confirmation":1,
"Exit Confirmation#":"0=none, 1=race only, 2=always",
"Find Default Setup":false,
"Find Default Setup#":"If 1, attempts to ensure player has default setup ... only works well if only one vehicle class in RFM",
"Fixed AI Setups":false,
"Fixed AI Setups#":"whether AI use the fixed setups, only applicable if \"Fixed Setups\" is also enabled (and can be used in single player to have the AIs use your favorite setup)",
"Fixed Setups":false,
"Fixed Setups#":"use fixed setups specified in UserData\\<plr>\\FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal (based on track and vehicle class)",
"Fixed Upgrades":false,
"Fixed Upgrades#":"whether multiplayer vehicles use the closest standard upgrade class package",
"Full Player Replay":true,
"Full Player Replay#":"do not drop any player replay events",
"GPRIX AI Driver Strength":120,
"GPRIX AI Driver Strength#":"100 should approximate real life",
"GPRIX Allowed Vehicles":"Indycar",
"GPRIX CrashRecovery":3,
"GPRIX CrashRecovery#":"0=none, 1=artificially keep cars on track, 2=flip cars upright, 3=both",
"GPRIX Damage Multiplier":30,
"GPRIX Damage Multiplier#":"100 should approximate real life",
"GPRIX FreeSettings":-1,
"GPRIX FreeSettings#":"-1=use RFM\/season\/GDB default, or add to allow minor changes with fixed\/parc ferme setups: 1=steering lock, 2=brake pressure, 4=starting fuel, 8=fuel strategy 16=tire compound, 32=brake bias, 64=front wing, 128=engine settings",
"GPRIX Fuel Consumption Multiplier":1,
"GPRIX Opponents":29,
"GPRIX Race Finish Criteria":1,
"GPRIX Race Finish Criteria#":"-2=%laps, -1=%time, 0=%laps&time, 1=laps, 2=time, 3=laps&time",
"GPRIX Race Laps":13,
"GPRIX Race Length":0.5,
"GPRIX Race Time":120,
"GPRIX Race Time#":"minutes",
"GPRIX Speed Compensation":0,
"GPRIX Speed Compensation#":"0 (none) - 10 (max)",
"GPRIX Tire Wear Multiplier":1,
"Ghost AI":0,
"Ghost AI#":"If 1, AI car will ignore others and be uncollidable. disabled for standard builds",
"Horizontal Tire Temps":true,
"Horizontal Tire Temps#":"In garage options",
"Inactive Sleep Time":25,
"Inactive Sleep Time#":"Number of milliseconds to sleep each message loop if the game is not the active application (-1 to disable). will give more CPU to other apps when minimized, etc.",
"Instant Replay Length":20,
"Keep Received Setups":3,
"Keep Received Setups#":"0=do not accept, 1=keep until next track, 2=keep until exit, 3=keep forever",
"Measurement Units":0,
"Measurement Units#":"Units for everything EXCEPT speed (0 = metric, 1 = english\/imperial)",
"Message Center Detail":3,
"Miscellaneous":0,
"Monitor AI Postfix":" (AI)",
"Monitor AI Postfix#":"what is displayed after AI driver names in monitor (multiplayer only)",
"Monitor Admin Postfix":"*",
"Monitor Admin Postfix#":"what is displayed after multiplayer administrator driver names in monitor",
"Monitor Auto Replay":true,
"Monitor Auto Replay#":"whether to automatically start a replay when returning to monitor",
"Multi-session Results":false,
"Multi-session Results#":"whether to store all sessions at a track in a single results file, new default is one session per file",
"Number Race Results":10,
"Number Race Results#":"how many results files to store (using default naming convention only!)",
"Number Track Replays":5,
"Number Track Replays#":"how many replays to store for each track (using default naming convention only!)",
"One Lap To Go Warning":1,
"One Lap To Go Warning#":"Race only: 0=none, 1=message, 2=white flag, 3=both, Race+Qual: add 4. Feature not implemented for timed races or lapped vehicles.",
"Parts Duration":1000,
"Parts Duration#":"Seconds after parts break off before disappearing",
"Pause If Focus Lost":true,
"Pause If Focus Lost#":"whether to automatically pause if window loses focus (single-player only)",
"Pitstop Description":true,
"Pitstop Description#":"Gives extra info about what's taking time in pitstop",
"Play Movies":1,

"Race Stint Offset":0,
"Race Stint Offset#":"Offset each scheduled pitstop in case you want to carry extra fuel",
"Realtime Splits":false,
"Realtime Splits#":"0=show race splits at sectors only, 1=realtime splits (can be toggled while driving with pit decrement key",
"Record Hotlaps":1,
"Record Hotlaps#":"whether to record hotlaps or not (must have replay recording on)",
"Record Replays":1,
"Record Replays#":"whether to record replays or not",
"Record To Memory":false,
"Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)",
"Relative Fuel Strategy":true,
"Relative Fuel Strategy#":"Show how much fuel to ADD, rather than how much TOTAL fuel to fill the tank up to (note: new default is true)",
"Relevant Setups Only":1,
"Relevant Setups Only#":"0 = show all setups in folder, 1 = only show setups for your current vehicle",
"Replay Base Fidelity":3,
"Replay Wraparound":false,
"Replay Wraparound#":"whether replays wraparound in the fridge",
"Save All Replay Sessions":true,
"Save All Replay Sessions#":"whether to save the replay from each session",
"Settings Type":1,
"Show Extra Lap":-1,
"Show Extra Lap#":"-1 = show fractional lap (e.g. 3.7), 0 = show laps completed (e.g. 3), 1 = show lap you are on (e.g. 4)",
"Sim Processor Thresh":255,
"Sim Processor Thresh#":"number of usable processors required in order to multithread certain simulation tasks",
"Smart Pitcrew":true,
"Smart Pitcrew#":"Pitcrew does things even if you mistakenly forgot to ask (one example is changing a damaged tire)",
"Speed Comp Dist":500,
"Speed Comp Dist#":"<= 2.0: fraction of track length, > 2.0: actual distance in meters for max speed comp",
"Speed Units":true,
"Speed Units#":"0 = MPH, 1 = KPH",
"Spotter Behind":10,
"Spotter Behind#":"Range behind at which spotter may comment on vehicles around you (range ahead is 40% of this value because those vehicles are easier to see)",
"Spotter Detail":3,
"Spotter Laptimes":2,
"Spotter Laptimes#":"Report laptimes: 0=never 1=non-race 2=always",
"Standings Func":0,
"Standings Func#":"standings scroll with pit up\/down keys: 0=no wraparound, 1=wraparound, 2=auto-scroll (can be changed while driving with pit increment key)",
"Starting Pos":0,
"Starting Pos#":"Only used if no qualifying session in single-player",
"Temporary Replay Keys":true,
"Temporary Replay Keys#":"whether original replay mode is restored after releasing instant replay (arrow) keys",
"Transparent Trainer Alpha":0.5,
"Transparent Trainer Alpha#":"how transparent it is",
"Transparent Trainer Lap":0,
"Transparent Trainer Lap#":"0=off, 1=use saved lap (never updated), 2=use best lap (starts with saved lap but updates if faster), 3=always use last lap",
"Transparent Trainer Lead Time":0.5,
"Transparent Trainer Lead Time#":"how far ahead it starts the lap in seconds",
"Transparent Trainer Proximity":20,
"Transparent Trainer Proximity#":"fades out within this distance",
"User Vehicle Data":true,
"User Vehicle Data#":"0=save with user mod data (in CCH files), 1=save separately (in all_vehicles.ini)",
"Vehicle Removal":30,
"Vehicle Removal#":"Seconds until stationary vehicle is removed from track",
"Wait For All Plugins To Load":false,
"Wait For All Plugins To Load#":"in single-player, delay race starts until all plugins load",
"practice length":80,
"practice length#":"0 = default, otherwise minutes (multiplayer version in that file)",
"qualifying laps":3,
"qualifying laps#":"2 = default, otherwise # of laps (min of 3)",
"qualifying length":30,
"qualifying length#":"0 = default, otherwise minutes (multiplayer version in that file)",
"warmup length":120,
"warmup length#":"0 = default, otherwise minutes (multiplayer version in that file)"

"Adjust Frozen Order":1,
"Adjust Frozen Order#":"Moves vehicles down the frozen track order under the safety car if they are causing the yellow and being passed. 0.0=off, 0.1-0.9=apply liberally, 1.0+=apply conservatively",
"Double File Override":-1,
"Double File Override#":"Whether restarts can be converted to double file (-1=use RFM default, 0=no, 1+=minimum laps left to restart double-file)",
"Force Formation":0,
"Force Formation#":"if Formation Lap is Use Track Default, add the following to force: 1=standing start formations on, 2=standing formations off, 4=rolling start formations on, 8=rolling formations off",
"GPRIX BlueFlags":7,
"GPRIX BlueFlags#":"0=none, 1=show but never penalize, 2=show and penalize if following within 0.3 seconds, 3=0.5s, 4=0.7s, 5=0.9s, 6=1.1s, 7=use RFM value \"BlueFlags=<0-6>\" (default is 3)",
"GPRIX Flag Rules":1,
"GPRIX Flag Rules#":"Level of rule enforcement, 0=none, 1=penalties only, 2=penalties & full-course yellows, 3=everything except DQs",
"GPRIX Formation Lap":2,
"GPRIX Formation Lap#":"0=standing start, 1=formation lap & standing start, 2=lap behind safety car & rolling start, 3=use track default, 4=fast rolling start",
"GPRIX Grid Walkthrough":1,
"GPRIX Grid Walkthrough#":"Cinematic walkthrough of vehicles before race",
"GPRIX Num Qual Sessions":1,
"GPRIX Num Qual Sessions#":"range: 0-4",
"GPRIX Num Race Sessions":1,
"GPRIX Num Race Sessions#":"range: 1-4",
"GPRIX ParcFerme":3,
"GPRIX ParcFerme#":"0=off, 1=no setup changes allowed between qual and race except for 'Free Settings'), 2=same unless rain, 3=use RFM default 'ParcFerme=<0-2>'",
"GPRIX PrivatePractice":0,
"GPRIX PrivatePractice#":"(note: used to be Private Test Day) 0=all cars practice visibly on track together, 1=only one car is visible at a time",
"GPRIX PrivateQualifying":2,
"GPRIX PrivateQualifying#":"0=all cars qualify visibly on track together, 1=only one car is visible at a time, 2=use default from RFM, season, or track entry PrivateQualifying=<0 or 1>",
"GPRIX RaceStartingTime":1080,
"GPRIX RaceStartingTime#":"-3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default RFM, 0-1439=minutes after midnight to start race",
"GPRIX RaceTimeScale":20,
"GPRIX RaceTimeScale#":"-1 = use race distance percentage, 0 - 60 = multiply time by given factor",
"GPRIX Reconnaissance":0,
"GPRIX Reconnaissance#":"Reconnaissance laps",
"GPRIX Safety Car Collidable":true,
"GPRIX Safety Car Collidable#":"Whether safety car is collidable",
"GPRIX Safety Car Thresh":1,
"GPRIX Safety Car Thresh#":"Threshold for bringing out safety car (lower numbers -> more full-course yellows), please note that there are now RFM multipliers for this value",
"GPRIX TimeScaledWeather":true,
"GPRIX TimeScaledWeather#":"Whether weather time is scaled with session length",
"GPRIX Unsportsmanlike Sensitivity":0.4,
"GPRIX Unsportsmanlike Sensitivity#":"0.1 - 10.0: Higher number = less sensitive checking for unsportsmanlike driving",
"GPRIX Weather":4,
"GPRIX Weather#":"0=sun, 1=clouds, 2=rain, 3=default, 4=random, 5=scripted",
"Lucky Dog Override":-1,
"Lucky Dog Override#":"Where lucky dog is applied (-1=use RFM default, 0=nowhere, 1=ovals, 2=road courses, 3=everywhere)",
"Practice1StartingTime":720,
"Practice1StartingTime#":"-3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default RFM, 0-1439=minutes after midnight",
"QualifyingStartingTime":570,
"QualifyingStartingTime#":"-3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default RFM, 0-1439=minutes after midnight",
"Race Timer":3600,
"Race Timer#":"Seconds between displaying time remaining in race other than 1\/5\/10\/30 minutes (zero disables)",
"RealRoadTimeScalePractice":15,
"RealRoadTimeScalePractice#":"Applies to testday\/practice\/warmup: -1=scaled with session length, 0=static, 0.1-0.9=slow, 1=normal, 2=2x, etc.",
"RealRoadTimeScaleQualifying":5,
"RealRoadTimeScaleQualifying#":"Applies to any qualifying session: -1=scaled with session length, 0=static, 0.1-0.9=slow, 1=normal, 2=2x, etc.",
"RealRoadTimeScaleRace":9,
"RealRoadTimeScaleRace#":"Applies to any race session: -1=scaled with session length, 0=static, 0.1-0.9=slow, 1=normal, 2=2x, etc.",
"Recon Pit Closed":180,
"Recon Pit Closed#":"Time that pits are closed before formation lap (real-life is 900 seconds)",
"Recon Pit Open":180,
"Recon Pit Open#":"Time that pits remain open for recon laps (real-life is 900 seconds)",
"Recon Timer":true,
"Recon Timer#":"Whether timer is displayed in message box",
"Run Practice1":true,
"Run Practice2":false,
"Run Practice3":false,
"Run Practice4":false,
"Run Warmup":true,
"WarmupStartingTime":540,
"WarmupStartingTime#":"-3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default RFM, 0-1439=minutes after midnight"

See, I told you so... it was a silly question ;) Now I know how all those new GSCE gamers feel when they ask how to access all of the cars in the game (left/right arrows) :whistling:

I make my rounds between pCARS, GSCE, R3E, AC, DiRT Rally, and rFactor 2 - a master of none! I completely looked past the Practice and Qualifying links at the top of the screen (newbie to rF2). Thanks @Gijs van Elderen for your help, but now I will be spending more time tweaking than playing :)

4 years later, I ran into the problem. I thought that I had 3 laps to make a good time. I would come to the pits on the 4th lap. Crew Chief would tell me that I had pole. Then, when I would start the race, I would start last with a qualifying status of DNQ.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate that the RD staff keeps these threads alive. You never know when this information may become useful again.

Im having issues as well... thi is a silly issue, cant even get to the race ?? Qualifying goes a few laps then "PIT NOW TO AVOID PENALTY" then nothing happens ? what am I missing. And of course pit lane is just short of the finish so you lose the lap you are on.
Also my continuous rant - there needs to be a button lookup feature in this game /sim like most of the others. Button assignments are goofy at best.

Im having issues as well... thi is a silly issue, cant even get to the race ?? Qualifying goes a few laps then "PIT NOW TO AVOID PENALTY" then nothing happens ? what am I missing. And of course pit lane is just short of the finish so you lose the lap you are on.
Also my continuous rant - there needs to be a button lookup feature in this game /sim like most of the others. Button assignments are goofy at best.
In the main menu, you can configure how many laps are allowed in qualifying.

Adjust laps....

Untitled 2.jpg
Untitled 1.jpg

===============
Imho you should be turning off ALL flags for offline sessions.
You spend all race slowly closing a gap to have it taken away under a local yellow. Where is the point in that ?
Even if they obeyed the flags they can't because they don't slow down.

No matter how much you edit the settings in json file, they still have no local yellow awareness whatsoever. :coffee:

Took me just 1 race to get a example, past by 2 cars under yellow......
Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg

Last edited:
In the main menu, you can configure how many laps are allowed in qualifying.
It doesnt seem to matter about the number of laps in Qual. Nothing happens at the end of qualifying. Please Rfactor (using AMS 1 code no doubt) AMS 1 &2 fix the Button assignment lookup, it cant be that hard to at least use the Names of the Devices, not JOY BUTTON1 etc.

Last edited:
It doesnt seem to matter about the number of laps in Qual. Nothing happens at the end of qualifying. Please Rfactor (using AMS 1 code no doubt) AMS 1 &2 fix the Button assignment lookup, it cant be that hard to at least use the Names of the Devices, not JOY BUTTON1 etc.
I think you always need to manually move forward to the next session in the garage menu after the time is over.

I thiught so too. but now I cant seem to do that for some reason. Rfactor has taken the low rung so far - AMS2 seems significantly better - Assetto corsa is darn good as well, especially with all of the addons. I cant even find the cars in Rfactor - thay all have car covers on them ?? is it a money thing ? maybe Im not spending enough.

The covered cars are 3rd party mods that haven't been updated with showroom icons.

Some official content is the same like Historic Open Wheel and Howston.

P.S. My mistake they have both been updated, never noticed.

Now I think it's just cars still under ISI, Gasoline Alley, Boxmaster, Corvette C6, Skip Barber, Honda NSX, Kodi ZR.

Also AC CARS ( Cobra) no icons.

As well all Reiza DLC have no icons, should be fixed with update.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years