PT Actuator Motion Platform

• Thread starter Deleted member 1745118
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1745118

• Deleted member 1745118

I replied to a post with my thoughts regarding the PT Actuator motion platform, but thought it would also be good to create a new post.

I would caution anyone considering purchasing a PT Actuator motion platform. I purchased a "Platform 4 Actuators + TL + Surge" motion platform from PT Actuator in December 2020 and mounted a JCL V2 cockpit on it. I had very few hours on the system when I started getting very loud squeaking noises from at least 2 of the Scorpion actuators. Shao recommended that I take the actuator apart and apply grease to the rubber dirt seal. This solution, if you can even get the actuator apart, is only a temporary fix. If you watch the video that Barry Rowland (great job Barry!) made on the Scorpion actuator, you will see just how hard it is to take these things apart. I asked Shao more than once to supply me with the procedure to properly grease the seal, but received no reply. The warranty procedure is to return the actuator to PT Actuator for repair. After some major coaxing, I did manage to get Shao to send me 2 replacement actuator bodies. I replaced the actuator body on the worst actuator and most of the noise is now gone. I still need to replace the 2nd noisy actuator body. After replacing the 1st actuator body, I sent Shao 2 emails asking for instructions on how to repair the actuators myself, but again received no reply. Until PT Actuator finds a permanent solution to this problem, the noisy dirt seal will apparently be an ongoing issue, so I want to be able to repair the actuator myself. I find dealing with PT Actuator very frustrating. Also, anything sent to the USA from China goes through a very slow customs procedure requiring documentation from both the seller and buyer, again very frustrating. On the positive side, I really do like the overall PT Actuator design, but the loud noise created by the squeaky dirt seal makes it very hard to enjoy the experience.

Send Shao back the "defective" actuators and call it a day. The accusatory tone of this thread is ridiculous seeing as you now have 2 more actuators than you did previously. This, in no way will influence my decision when time comes to order from PT.

Upvote 0
Send Shao back the "defective" actuators and call it a day. The accusatory tone of this thread is ridiculous seeing as you now have 2 more actuators than you did previously. This, in no way will influence my decision when time comes to order from PT.

I think Shao at PT did the right thing 100% - he REPLACED the problematic actuators. Replace the 2nd one and call it a day... Return the 2 defective ones. Done.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1745118

Why replace the ring? You have two new actuators don't you? Pop them on your rig and enjoy them!
There are 3 reasons that I want to be able to repair the actuators myself. The 1st is that I may need to replace more than just the 2 actuators that I am sure are bad. The location of where the noise is coming from is hard to pinpoint, so I may have more than just two making noise. The one I already replaced was so loud that it drowned out all the others. The 2nd is that I don't want to deal with the hassle and cost of shipping to and from China. The 3rd is that this will be an ongoing issue until/if a permanent solution is found and I don't want to pay for these repairs once my warranty runs out.

Upvote 0
There are 3 reasons that I want to be able to repair the actuators myself. The 1st is that I may need to replace more than just the 2 actuators that I am sure are bad. The location of where the noise is coming from is hard to pinpoint, so I may have more than just two making noise. The one I already replaced was so loud that it drowned out all the others. The 2nd is that I don't want to deal with the hassle and cost of shipping to and from China. The 3rd is that this will be an ongoing issue until/if a permanent solution is found and I don't want to pay for these repairs once my warranty runs out.

Ive owned a motion rig for almost 2 years. There will ALWAYS be some kind of creaking noise from somewhere. You're moving a ton of weight bouncing around. It's bound to happen. You can tell if it's a problematic sound or not though. So yes you can repair whatever you'd like, but Shao isn't responsible to give you a guide on how to taken them apart and repair them. I dont know of any company, including D-Box, PT-Actuators, Apple, Asus, or whatever company, that gives you a guide on how to open up and replace/repair parts. If you wanted that you should've gone with SFX-100 and built your own motion rig.

You holding hostage the return of the actuators until he gives you a "guide" or Instruction Booklet on how to take it apart and repair it, is ridiculous. I can see why he might not want to respond to you after you did that now.
If that were Apple, you would've been charged for 2 more actuators by now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
?????

Ive owned a motion rig for almost 2 years. There will ALWAYS be some kind of creaking noise from somewhere. You're moving a ton of weight bouncing around. It's bound to happen. You can tell if it's a problematic sound or not though. So yes you can repair whatever you'd like, but Shao isn't responsible to give you a guide on how to taken them apart and repair them. I dont know of any company, including D-Box, PT-Actuators, Apple, Asus, or whatever company, that gives you a guide on how to open up and replace/repair parts. If you wanted that you should've gone with SFX-100 and built your own motion rig.

Heck, my Jeep Renegade does creaking noises when I drive over bumps... I don't go after Jeep company to show me how to take apart my car to fix it myself :laugh:

Upvote 0
And you're now saying that more than just the 2 actuators may be bad... Why don't you post a video of these actuators moving off your rig and show what noises you're talking about?
Take them OFF the rig to make sure it's not the metal flexing on the rig somewhere.

Upvote 0
?????

Heck, my Jeep Renegade does creaking noises when I drive over bumps... I don't go after Jeep company to show me how to take apart my car to fix it myself :laugh:

Thats exactly it - this isn't a DIY project like the SFX-100 actuators where you bought the parts and put it together yourself. In that case, you can go back to the instructions and see how you built it... You're asking a company that's selling a turn-key product built for you to give you instructions on how to repair it by yourself. They dont have to do that whatsoever.

If you have an issue, you contact them and they'll tell you what to do.
In the case of the 2 actuators making sounds, he replaced them (which is amazing of him to do)... Now you're saying that more than the 2 may be making noises after all. So if that's the case, remove them off the rig, have them slide in and out showing what noise you're referring to, and have Shao look into it. But I suggest you send back those 2 actuators that he replaced, otherwise you just voided your own warranty if you decide you want to hold them hostage.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1745118

Thats exactly it - this isn't a DIY project like the SFX-100 actuators where you bought the parts and put it together yourself. In that case, you can go back to the instructions and see how you built it... You're asking a company that's selling a turn-key product built for you to give you instructions on how to repair it by yourself. They dont have to do that whatsoever.

If you have an issue, you contact them and they'll tell you what to do.
In the case of the 2 actuators making sounds, he replaced them (which is amazing of him to do)... Now you're saying that more than the 2 may be making noises after all. So if that's the case, remove them off the rig, have them slide in and out showing what noise you're referring to, and have Shao look into it. But I suggest you send back those 2 actuators that he replaced, otherwise you just voided your own warranty if you decide you want to hold them hostage.
Let me guess. Based on all of your responses, your real name is not Michael, you do not live in the USA and you are not American.

Upvote 0
Let me guess. Based on all of your responses, your real name is not Michael, you do not live in the USA and you are not American.
Looks like NYC To me - what do you think!

Attachments

• 6D2CAA4D-461D-47C9-9A79-798921CF6B3E.jpeg
    6D2CAA4D-461D-47C9-9A79-798921CF6B3E.jpeg
    901.9 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
You want to see my passport and driver's license as well? Maybe a blood and urine sample to go with it?

You're obviously scamming your way into getting free actuators from what I can see now.

He gave you a FREE LABEL to ship it to Thanos in the USA i was just informed. So what shipping costs to China are you even talking about? Stop with the lies bud.

Send back the 2 actuators and maybe Shao will help you further if you're still having issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1745118

You want to see my passport and driver's license as well? Maybe a blood and urine sample to go with it?

You're obviously scamming your way into getting free actuators from what I can see now.

He gave you a FREE LABEL to ship it to Thanos in the USA i was just informed. So what shipping costs to China are you even talking about? Stop with the lies bud.

Send back the 2 actuators and maybe Shao will help you further if you're still having issues.
Hmmm, so maybe I was correct in my assumption after all.

FYI, I did not get a free shipping label but I will be sending 2 actuators back to Thanos, as soon as I replace the 2nd actuator.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 267 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 176 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 178 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 131 7.5%
  • < 5 years