Proper automatic gearboxes

I`ve been complaining about this for a very long time. Despite the fact that I don't think it would be too difficult to code in some sort of basic functionality for auto boxes, it would definitely make some of the older members come back and also attract new members. There is no other sim (that i know of) which has a proper auto box implemented, apart from the cars in Mafia I which sometimes did kick down when going up hills :D .

Just a thought (an old one at that).

Yeah, this is one of the major things that I think should be implimented into the next stable version. There's a program for LFS that does proper automatics, it has different modes as well (like sport and economical). GTA IV has it as well :)

GTA IV is the only game I've played that without mods has a decent kick-down and stuff, but if any of you has LFS, check that mod out, I found it on youtube.

Well I do wonder if the scripting system, could be of any use to make a proper automatic gearbox. as far as I can tell from all the driving I've done in real cars with auto gearboxes. the shifting is dependent on how far buried the gas pedal is in the floor, and where your hp is. I think one of my unreleased vehicles actually has pretty accurate automatic shifting for using static points to shift. (mainly did this by putting the shift up just above where the hp peaks, putting the shift down point just below where the needle stops when the vehicle shifts, and raising the autoclutch rpm up to around 2000 or so)

i agree, and also, I've noticed that in a regular car, depending on how slow and easy on the throttle you are, the gearbox finds the highmost gear as soon as possible, then when you mash the throttle, it kicks down a few gears. in Racer, it is bothering me that i am doing 20 and I'm at 5000RPM in 1st gear.

This is the best i`ve been able to do. Works ok-ish as long as you don`t floor it in 1st and you need to lift off and then back on the throttle when reaching the redline. I`ve uploaded the controler.ini (for use with mouse) here and i`m interested in any improvements that the community may be able to bring to it. It works well with max 4 (carefuly adjusted) ratios.

Attachments

• automatic.rar
    413 bytes · Views: 158
This is the best i`ve been able to do. Works ok-ish as long as you don`t floor it in 1st and you need to lift off and then back on the throttle when reaching the redline. I`ve uploaded the controler.ini (for use with mouse) here and i`m interested in any improvements that the community may be able to bring to it. It works well with max 4 (carefuly adjusted) ratios.

That's an interesting idea Lipton, using the controller.ini to signal when to downshift. Nice kludge. :)

Alex Forbin

Hi Lipton,
Since I' ve played Racer I' ve been searching for a proper automatic transmission set up, even because I' m really interested in that kinda transmissions.
Unfortunately I ain' t good at all with .inis and that kind of things. I hope you' ll be able to build a good system to finally enable real automatic transmission in Racer.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%