Projector, bulb explosions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
Anyone use a projector for their sim-rig? After just over a year of use my projector died catastrophically when the bulb exploded inside the unit. cost me nearly £200 for the new bulb and having all the glass and dust cleaned out. Is this a regular thing ie. every year and does a bulbs life always end in such a dramatic way? would of been sooooooo much cheaper if the bulb had simply stopped working.

I use a PJ, not quite a year old though... will be wearing a racing helmet from now on... I have a SHORT THROW PJ... a few feet away from my head! eeeek!

Upvote 0
I was sat right under mine, s**t myself when it went, sat in the dark wondering what the hell just happened.

Upvote 0
Short answer....NO, it is not normal for a bulb to explode!
I've used my Sanyo projector for 'Home cinema' for the last 8-9 yrs replacing bulbs 3-4 times.
Things that come to mind that can cause an 'explosion' are:
  • Just damn unlucky!:unsure:
  • Defective bulb / batch.:(
  • Bulb had been touched by 'sticking fingers':whistling:
  • Projector been moved while on, or shortly after use.:O_o:
  • Defective component(s) within projector i.e fan failing or regulator playing up on circuit board.:cry:
Hopefully your replacement will give you hours of endless racing, but do make sure your new bulb comes with a good warranty. (Too many cheap 'knock-off's about). If that blows, then it could be your projector could be at fault.

Upvote 0
It happened to me several years ago. Watching a movie in my living room with the projector mounted on the ceiling above my head. Suddenly there was a loud bang, the bulb had exploded. No big deal really. I cleaned out the debris in the projector and plugged in a new lamp and everything was fine.

Upvote 0
I went directly through the optoma service centre to make sure everything was done right, as the bulb had never been removed or tampered with and the projector is situated on a ceiling mount i guess im just unlucky :(
It says on the invoice that i get a 90 day warranty but im sure i read that the optoma bulbs have a 6 month warranty.

Upvote 0
i think last time i checked it was 2000hrs of the expected 4000, im not 100% on these figures but defo remember it being roughly half way through its expected life, this was a couple of weeks before it failed

edit: after reading that thread i might invest in a ups for it

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 267 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 176 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 178 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 131 7.5%