Project Immersion FOV Calculator

Yes, it is pretty good.

When you set the FOV to the value it calculates, you can really feel properly placed inside the car.
However, it may not be the best choice if you have a small screen and want to see mirrors or other things. Your choice will be a trade-off between realism and functionality. But it is an awesome starting point.

Just as in FPS:
Pick the widest you can without screwing up your accuracy.
Peripheral vision is way more important than "immersion".
(And our eyes have an extremely wide FoV)

Don't know if you can change distance to monitor somewhere, because this is basically the driving factor to define the FoV for a "i'm looking through a window into the game world" experience.

Don't know if you can change distance to monitor somewhere, because this is basically the driving factor to define the FoV for a "i'm looking through a window into the game world" experience.
You can change the distance to monitor by clicking the little man below the monitor and dragging him towards and away from the monitor.

The video below shows the same replay simultaneously from two different FOVs. The more common wide FOV on the right does show more peripheral vision, but the speed at which you appear to be travelling is greatly skewed from what you would experience in real life. The default FOV in GSCE is 50º, I think.

Notice how bridges or banners over the track appear in the distance and then pass over the car. With a lower FOV, you can see them approaching and pass by realistically. With a higher FOV, they are tiny in the distance, then they suddenly appear and zip by very quickly. The same is true for your braking points or opponent cars. A low FOV will likely improve your driving by allowing for more realistic reaction time.

I have a 25" ultra-wide monitor about 15" from my nose (I built a simple monitor stand that puts it over my wheel's FFB motor case and beyond the front edge of my desk.) I use 30º in GSCE.

It takes a little time to get used to, but it is worth it. Now I just won't play a racing game that forces a high FOV in cockpit. (Codemasters games can be fixed; it's a hoop to jump through, but worth the trouble.)

Here's another video that discusses FOV in racing sims:

Every time I get a new sim I always use this tool to find out the correct FOV for me setup.

In fact I find so useful I even chipped in with a donation to help him develop it further.

He has some great guides for sims like Dirt Rally helping set them up for triple screens.

Jason.

projectimmersion.com ... (or and sorts)

the results are utter NONSENSE of these pages

i.e

i have a 29inch, 21:9 screen with a 65cm (25inches) from eyes distance.. this tool recommends me to use 25 ° FOV .. with those values ??? smokin pot??

if i follow that "recommendation" my steering wheel on the screen is bigger than my real wheel inches infront it -- rofl

tools, like that are made by pen and paper realism beancounters..who need a peer review to confirm a duck is a duck..and cant see what is infront of them - with their own eyes.

what i do is simple.. i tweak the FOV until two parallel lines drawm from my real wheel to the screen..match up exactly with the size of the in-car wheel.. if you do that..you will see, that even that hand (fist) is close in size to yours.. try that for a change.. i mean use your eyes and brain and not theoratical "mathematic" how to "pee" instructions

Last edited:
projectimmersion.com ... (or and sorts)

the results are utter NONSENSE of these pages

i.e

i have a 29inch, 21:9 screen with a 65cm (25inches) from eyes distance.. this tool recommends me to use 25 ° FOV .. with those values ??? smokin pot??

if i follow that "recommendation" my steering wheel on the screen is bigger than my real wheel inches infront it -- rofl

tools, like that are made by pen and paper realism beancounters..who need a peer review to confirm a duck is a duck..and cant see what is infront of them - with their own eyes.

what i do is simple.. i tweak the FOV until two parallel lines drawm from my real wheel to the screen..match up exactly with the size of the in-car wheel.. if you do that..you will see, that even that hand (fist) is close in size to yours.. try that for a change.. i mean use your eyes and brain and not theoratical "mathematic" how to "pee" instructions
=A.S= - thanks for your insults man. I hope you get well soon.

it works fine with 16:9 and 16:10 ratio screens ... I guess ultrawide screen calculations are bugged
The results are mathematically correct for 21:9... I had a 21:9 screen before my current one and it was spot on.... could it be that =A.S= has selected the incorrect racing game/sim? e.g. using hFOV game and vFOV sim?

My experience, yesterday i was finaly done with my new rig
26199344919_33a21ee7a7_c.jpg

Before: https://flic.kr/p/YM4R2C

I had 55pov now i have 35pov, official calculating 32pov. With 35pov i was half a second faster then the 55pov. By calculating, it must be set in on 32pov, but that was for me not ideal, so with 35pov i had a little more view space for the Apex. That little tweak, is own perference.

Here is the link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/617336568081930134/

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 432 39.7%