PC1 Project CARS Xbox One Controller settings

Yea, i echo that. I've always been decent on GT and Forza and other racing games...admittedly not great sims but they've been a lot easier with a pad.

Bit annoying as i bought the game Monday or Tuesday and i've not really been able to play it because my wheel isn't here :(

The game definitely needs to be played with a wheel. I've never been a pad player but am messing about in the game with one for a few weeks until i get a wheel. It is very difficult but i have to say that i am doing better then i expected so i would think the experienced paddlers should be able to find something that works for them.

A pad is an input device and whether wheel or pad all computer emulations are "fly by wire". For XBox One, the pad is the default input device. Other than FFB the only difference between a wheel and a pad is size of inputs. There is no reason why, technically, a pad could not work as an alternative control device for a real car. And no reason, technically, why the developers could not get it right for project cars.

There is no current user fix for the pad on Xbox One, though I have to qualify that with the fact I focus on open wheel (players focussed on GT3 might be ok with things). The only thing that makes it manageable is dialling down steering speed. But even in the 20s, jerky still happens. I believe the problem is about linearity/saturation for the stick, which of course are not included in the input options. Ironically, the problem gets worse when the tyres have heated to optimum. Overall, it's like driving with a broken car and often the only option is to "tap" the stick - not the way to get a smooth lap.

Last edited:
Following information was posted by Wraithstrike on the Project Cars forum. For those still experiencing controller problems on XBox One after the patch, I can testify the following settings, with modification, have proven to me the patch works. I have tested it on Sakitto in the Lotus 98T, arguably one of the toughests tests of the controller patch.

Wraithstrike wrote this:-

"Guys I've been trying multiple cars from road up to LMP1 on a mixture of tracks to come up with the best settings, all cars tried I left at default tuning.

"Ok guy's if you want to set up your XB1 controller to really now enjoy the game here's your settings.

"Flick to mode 2 then back to mode 3 just to reset default, now set feedback to 80 and steering deadzone to 10, that's it job done.

"Mode 3

"Feedback 80

"Steering deadzone 10.

"Hope the above saves a lot of you messing around with you settings continuously"

End Quote. Personally, I have changed the steering sensitivity in the controller settings from the default suggested above to 0.

I have found that with steering sensitivity at 0 and the rest as Wraithstrike suggests, this allows you to then use the car setup as you see fit with each car and each circuit. With the Lotus 98T (an extreme case if there ever was one), steering speed needs to be dialled to the slow side (experiencing a bit of understeer with the Lotus felt like a luxury to be honest compared to the pre patch situation).

I also feel the setting can give some confidence that you can focus on the car setup without looking over your shoulder wondering if problems you have are related to the controller settings. 0 steering sensitivity might not suit everyone, but my advice is don't settle on this aspect until you have tried the extremes in car models, from carts to open wheel and prototype, testing the latter on the fastest circuits, with fast flat out turns, series of turns, s's etc. Theoretically, solutions should be with the car setup, not the controller settings.

Following information was posted by Wraithstrike on the Project Cars forum. For those still experiencing controller problems on XBox One after the patch, I can testify the following settings, with modification, have proven to me the patch works. I have tested it on Sakitto in the Lotus 98T, arguably one of the toughests tests of the controller patch.

Wraithstrike wrote this:-

"Guys I've been trying multiple cars from road up to LMP1 on a mixture of tracks to come up with the best settings, all cars tried I left at default tuning.

"Ok guy's if you want to set up your XB1 controller to really now enjoy the game here's your settings.

"Flick to mode 2 then back to mode 3 just to reset default, now set feedback to 80 and steering deadzone to 10, that's it job done.

"Mode 3

"Feedback 80

"Steering deadzone 10.

"Hope the above saves a lot of you messing around with you settings continuously"

End Quote. Personally, I have changed the steering sensitivity in the controller settings from the default suggested above to 0.

I have found that with steering sensitivity at 0 and the rest as Wraithstrike suggests, this allows you to then use the car setup as you see fit with each car and each circuit. With the Lotus 98T (an extreme case if there ever was one), steering speed needs to be dialled to the slow side (experiencing a bit of understeer with the Lotus felt like a luxury to be honest compared to the pre patch situation).

I also feel the setting can give some confidence that you can focus on the car setup without looking over your shoulder wondering if problems you have are related to the controller settings. 0 steering sensitivity might not suit everyone, but my advice is don't settle on this aspect until you have tried the extremes in car models, from carts to open wheel and prototype, testing the latter on the fastest circuits, with fast flat out turns, series of turns, s's etc. Theoretically, solutions should be with the car setup, not the controller settings.
Can anybody tell me how to get the settings back to default please. I tried the method mentioned in the above quoted post but when returning to mode 3 the settings I had in there previously are still showing so although I can then change the dead zone and ffb to the suggested values the other settings are probably preventing me from getting the best out of the suggested settings. Alternatively does anyone know what the default settings are so I can manually revert to them?

Many thanks.

If you set another input mode (set it to 2 and back to 3 again for instance), it should set the default values for that input mode, mode 3 is the default setting.
If that doesn't work there is a reset button under the controller scheme tab.
And if you have adjusted the steering ratio, creating a new car setup should reset it to default.

If you set another input mode (set it to 2 and back to 3 again for instance), it should set the default values for that input mode, mode 3 is the default setting.
If that doesn't work there is a reset button under the controller scheme tab.
And if you have adjusted the steering ratio, creating a new car setup should reset it to default.
Thats what I thought but when I switch to mode 2 and then back to mode 3 my previously altered settings are still there. I did the reset under the controller scheme map too and that resets those but doesn't have any effect on the actual controller settings.

That's odd.
I'm on PC btw, but i would have thought such basic functions work the same.
I see all the settings move when i change input mode and it saves when i back out of the menu.

And do you mean to say that resetting the controller defaults does work but you don't notice it behaving any different when driving?

On PC the defaults in mode 3 are (top to bottom): 15 / 50 / 10 / 30 / 10 / 15 / 10 / 45, 65 / 0,
3 / on / on / /on / off.

That's odd.
I'm on PC btw, but i would have thought such basic functions work the same.
I see all the settings move when i change input mode and it saves when i back out of the menu.

And do you mean to say that resetting the controller defaults does work but you don't notice it behaving any different when driving?

On PC the defaults in mode 3 are (top to bottom): 15 / 50 / 10 / 30 / 10 / 15 / 10 / 45, 65 / 0,
3 / on / on / /on / off.
I think maybe I have had it wrong.. those defaults you posted I think are what mine are now set to, which is pretty much what I had changed them to anyway after trying various other settings over time, hence why I thoguht they had not changed when switching from mode 1 to mode 2. I seemed to remember when I originally got the game that they were set to something very different but I must have that wrong..

I'll check again tonight when I get home.

Good luck!
(I don't find the default settings very driveable...)

On another note, how are people here liking things after the patch that has resolved the sensitivity in the stick on the Xbox One?

I'm inclined to fathom that the controls are setup with a different idea in mind then most would assume: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Project-CARS-causes-wheel-sales-to-soar

:D
That probably explains why the Thrustmaster 458 TX has gone up in price over the last few weeks by 10-20%. Some have gone up even more than that.. crazy prices!!

I was due to get one around about now but some personal issues have delayed it but it looks like the cost will now be more prohibitive than it was previously.

Last edited:
Good luck!
(I don't find the default settings very driveable...)

On another note, how are people here liking things after the patch that has resolved the sensitivity in the stick on the Xbox One?

I'm inclined to fathom that the controls are setup with a different idea in mind then most would assume: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Project-CARS-causes-wheel-sales-to-soar

:D

Personally, using Xbox One controller on Xbox One since the patch, I have found that Project Cars has given me the best controller experience of any racing game so far on the Xbox platforms. With F1 games on the 360, it was ok, except for the steering radius, which was very limiting - willingness of car to make changes of direction.

I have found after the patch there is a need to visit the car setup steering speed in each car at each circuit, because I saved setups there pre patch. I also made the mistake pre patch of save to all from the car setup that can be accessed from the main menu. Using the option the go back to the default car setups might be a good starting point if anyone else has made a similar mistake. Default is fairly good but can be improved significantly. Another warning though, some cars need quite a few laps before their tyres perform well and that can account for a good few full seconds lap time difference.

But I'm not going to mention wet. Wet in career in LMP!!!!

I think I am going to have to give up the ghost with this game until I can get a wheel. Spent some time last night trying to find something that gave me some sort of comfort level but it just wasn't happening. I just have no feel for the braking in particular on a pad and it ends up in frustration. Ironically I was managing to do ok with it pre-patch and had some fun races wioth reduced level AI but since coming back from my holiday and getting the patch I am struggling big time.

The lack of availability of wheelS and price of those that are available is killing me as I really want t oget myself immersed into this game but just do not have the ability on the pad to do so.

Hey guys. I just uploaded a small guide about the controller and wheel settings. Maybe you want to try them.
smile.png

I'm currently using these settings for the Xbox One controller and really like them.

Controller Input Mode: 3
Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 30
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 50
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30
Clutch Deadzone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45
Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 50
Force Feedback: 100
Advanced: Off
Soft Steering Dampening: Off
Visual Wheel Filtering: Off
Opposite Lock Help: Off

Below is the official solution to the controller steering:

Steering Sensitivity: 25
Speed Sensitivity: 0
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 80

With these settings above, the wheel rotates more freely and realistically, and it feels more like a proper steering wheel with the Xbox One controller. It will no longer feel like a twitchy mess. Nor will it feel unresponsive.

Yes, this is the actual fix for all the issues sim-racers have been having with the Xbox One controller.

I'm currently using these settings for the Xbox One controller and really like them.

Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 30
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 50
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30
Clutch Deadzone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45
Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 50
Force Feedback: 100
Advanced: Off

Actually these settings are quite good, can drive almost w/out errors. Could even say that feel better than pad-driving in PS4 version(yes, I have all 3 version...).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%