Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa.

Having the latest build 99% complete Project cars and Assetto corsa as it is right now 1.04, I know which one I prefer......by an absolute mile.
Project cars screen.
2015-02-10_00002.jpg

Assetto Corsa screen of same car/track/position.
2015-02-10_00015.jpg

I am a little Assetto bias, PC feels like a racing game, Assetto feels like a simulator. What are your thoughts?

I own both of them and have rF2, iRacing, nkPro, R3E, all that CM F1 Stuff and alot other and old "Racing Games" as well. I won't join this never ending Story about Arcade and Sim as it finally doesn't matter at all!
It's all about what YOU prefer? Great range of Servers with max. participants, useable for leagues, easy to drive without much training, great graphics, stunning physics and so on...

Both seems to become a milestone in history of Racing Games imo. If money doesn't matter, i would advise everyone out there to finally try each of them, you won't regret your purchase.
If you don't take it that easy on money AC may be the better choice, but this is just my opinion atm as i guess pCars will cost a lot more to get all that cars and tracks you'll may get for free for AC as it's fully modable?!

For specific features, car/track combinations and so on you must wait for both final releases and need to listen/read Community Feedbacks to make a choice.

I've played both for more than 100 hours in the past, which is alot for me, and i won't miss one them. Will defenitly own both with all their DLCs some day...

For me it depends on how good the pCARS multiplayer netcode is. AC needs improving a lot for me to be happy with online play. We'll see what 1.1 brings.

Also, graphics-wise I'm more than happy with AC, but the lack of AMD card support is a big disappointment (cannot use crossfire for example), although I accept that this is not a fault of the race-sim as AMD needs to provide the drivers / profiles.

I don't need ran - I don't driving in the rain in real life, or racing Codies F1 games in the rain, but each to their own.

There will never be a clear winner, and that's the only correct outcome. They're made for different things but they are truly both worth owning, and I play both regularly.

The FFB and feel in AC is far better out of the box, but pCars is immensely adjustable and I just started tweaking with in-game adjustments and got pC a lot closer to AC. pCars is close enough to simulation to be extremely immersive. The tracks feel very alive compared to AC which feels empty. Even look at Silverstone above, PCars has trucks and tents while AC has open space. Pcars crowds are the best I've seen in a game. And they've done a ton of optimization to improve performance, I can run 18 cars at Spa on high detail and the frame rate is high and stutter-free.

I do a lot of offline racing and I love the career system in pCars, that's my absolute favorite aspect. Finally a racing calendar and being able to run multiple championships. A REAL career.

Point is, if you like racing on your PC, you need both. pCars will always get the knock of not being sim enough, and that's too bad. And who knows if it'll get modded in the future.

Good time to be a sim racer!!!

pCars is a disappointment for me in terms of simulation.It's more a semi-sim or hybrid-sim or something between arcade and seem without any luck.. it fails almost in every aspect of a sim. Like shift 2 was.. I definitely dislike its FFB feeling (i play with g27).. it's all about graphics in most cases. AC is the winner, no doubts.

• Deleted member 151827

These type of threads just beg for fighting! I own both and they both have there good qualities and bad! To say one is more of a sim than the other is just personal preference!

These type of threads just beg for fighting! I own both and they both have there good qualities and bad! To say one is more of a sim than the other is just personal preference!
They are not begging for fighting, they are welcoming comments and thoughts on two not finished products. I own both, they both have good and bad points. A friend of mine can't wait for Project on the PS4, and at the moment it feels like it is suited for that market at the moment (all glitz and no guts)
Assetto has an air of seriousness about it, a goal to please and be what simracers want. PC is what the masses want to see. There are about 5 sim racing titles, all of which have elements that lead the field. Assetto is the closest to bringing them all together. Looking forward to 1.1 and beyond. Multiplayer is the biggest mountain for Assetto to climb and I believe it will climb it.

A bit more candy for the eyes, this time 15.50 Monza quickrace in Lotus 98T
Project CARS.
View attachment 81182
Assetto Corsa.
View attachment 81183

That really shows how bland and boring AC looks, it always feels like you're at an abandoned and boarded up track that you snuck into without permission. I've not played Pcars but in that pic the track looks alive and full of people who are excited to see a race, I personally prefer that to the boring look of AC. Hopefully the FFB/physics in Pcars don't ruin all the good things it has to offer.

A game thats been released vs a game thats not released.

I own both and I can safely say they both have a place on my SSD for different reasons. What I have seen in Pcars during the last month is quite astonishing how far its come. Guess all the bits are falling into place. With AC its a no frills solid title that will out live a lot of recent titles because of the modding support.

Pcars has so much depth and immersion, glitz and glamour, the grip levels are a bit more believable in comparable vehicles but its still WIP so difficult to comment where it will be 6 months after release. Can only get better.

While AC is just AC, its a solid title that's easily worth the price tag. But the game just lacks life and soul but delivers in every other department.

I can't choose 1 over the other.

I believe pCars gonna crack the ps4 marketing and Will be a good alternative to assetto in pc with some modifications and advices about ffb config and so on (Havent tested it, Just because of what have Heard about ffb).

Assetto is great, pCars going to be mine in some steam sale for sure!

I've done about 300 hours on PCars and 415 hours on AC.

PCars I stopped playing in September when I joined RD other than the occasional try out now and again.

How much I play PCars in the future probably depends on how well the multiplayer takes off on communities like this one. Can't see myself bothering with offline races and career modes anymore.

That really shows how bland and boring AC looks, it always feels like you're at an abandoned and boarded up track that you snuck into without permission. I've not played Pcars but in that pic the track looks alive and full of people who are excited to see a race, I personally prefer that to the boring look of AC. Hopefully the FFB/physics in Pcars don't ruin all the good things it has to offer.
I can see what you mean about being bland, abandoned and boarded up (excellent comment) I agree to a certain extent, the crowd really needs looking at, its like a cardboard zombie apocalypse at some tracks. Certain crowd areas in ProjectCars are animated, waving flags etc so race day really looks like race day. Cosmettic? yes. Really important? no. Should it be improved as part of the icing on the assetto cake? YES.

Should it be improved as part of the icing on the assetto cake? YES.

Exactly. Right now AC is like some really delicious, moist cake that has no icing. It's still good and enjoyable, but it's excellence would be greatly magnified with the addition of some decadent cream-cheese icing. As an counter-example, R3E's base cake is a bit dry and light on flavor but it has the MOST DELICIOUS ICING (animated fans lining the track with their flags and cameras) and there are plenty of times I enjoy that more than AC's cake just because THAT ICING IS SOOOOOO DAMN GOOD!! :laugh:

From my experience, pc versions of console games have taken a back seat. Slightly Mads NFS comes to mind, the graphics are incredible but the physics were horrible. Maybe Pcars will be different, i hope im wrong but i purchased NFS and Nascar 14 only to put them on the shelf after hours of trying to get a sim experience. AC so far has kept my interest aside from the graphics issues.

Regarding the FFB in Pcars, there are still cars that benefit from reduced TireForce (TF) settings to provide better detail. I'm using TF of 70, FFB 100 with the GT, P1/P2 and track-day cars and it works quite well. Having the TF too high will make the FFB dull and rubbery feeling. This can also be done on a per-car basis by reducing the Master-Scale in the car setup.

Project Cars is not and never will be a SIM. However, graphically speaking it is a nice game and yes the game engine can operate miracles.
[hint]
It is intended for multi platform, someone know a console game that can be called a SIM?
[/hint]

NFS Shift was a cool game, there were awesome mods that turned the game physics a bit more "realistic".
From a PC user perspective Shift 2 Unleashed was pure garbage, however for young teenagers and their consoles probably was a nice game.

I've not played Pcars but in that pic the track looks alive and full of people who are excited to see a race, I personally prefer that to the boring look of AC. Hopefully the FFB/physics in Pcars don't ruin all the good things it has to offer.
It would be good for races, but outside of doing races it would be much more like real life if there are little or no people around. Why would thousands of people show up to watch someone hotlap a fiat 500?

I'd certainly like to see the option brought in eventually, I could see a lot of people turning it off if the trackside atmosphere cost them FPS. It's not that important to me though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%