PC1 Project CARS Release VR Improvements in New Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS VR Update.jpg

In a surprise move for fans of the Project CARS game, Slightly Mad Studios have deployed a new update to the Steam version of the title adding further development to the already outstanding Virtual Reality (VR) implementation, brining the current build to version 11.2.

Intended to produce a clearer image with a reduction in both shimmering and aliasing artifacts when using a VR headset in Project CARS, the new update will surely be well received by those fortunate enough to own both a VR headset and a copy of the game. Project CARS is already widely acknowledged as one of the best VR experiences in Sim Racing, enough so the game is actually featured on the Oculus Rift store itself, and the new update is a welcome early Christmas present for players who considered development closed on the game as SMS pour resources into the upcoming Project CARS 2, due to release late next year.

So what does the new update do, and how do you activate it? Well SMS have been kind enough to explain in the patch notes for the new update, which can be read below:

"Look in this folder: \Users\<current user>\Documents\Project CARS\

Depending on the HMD you're using...
Oculus Rift, edit: oculussettings.xml
HTC Vive, edit: openvrsettings.xml

Look for a line called "<prop name="ResScale" data="1" />"

Change the number after 'data=' to whatever you want to set your super sampling to. Higher numbers will increase the resolution, while lowering the number will decrease the resolution. We recommend starting with a value around 1.5 and experimenting with it from there. How much you can push this will depend on your GPU".

Project CARS is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Currently the title is reduced by 60% and is available for £9.99 on Steam (PC only).

Check out the Project CARS forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding Project CARS on both PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Browse out modding database, engage with the community or join in one of our many League and Club Racing events. Its all here at RaceDepartment.

Have you tried the latest Project CARS VR update? How do you find VR in the title? Does Project CARS VR compare favourably to Assetto Corsa? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Project cars VR implementation is excellent.

I'm also very happy with AC VR and the fact that it's only a beta version surprises me how good it is - no complaints here just happy we have a few VR ready ish sim to play , but the big one for me will most definitely be R-F-A-C-T-O-R 2 .... studio 397 .

Hoping race room will be good , and if Automobilista come true on there promise I'm taken next year off :)

Glad vr got an update.....maybe they will get around to patching the rest of the game and add the features they spoke of prior to the titles release.
I was really exicted for this title in early beta, but have been left with a sour taste since with the way they handled things and moved to pcars 2 right after release. Pcars 2 better be flawless for sms to ever gain my support again. Time will tell i guess.

Is this VR thing going to be the new 3D?
As in a 'great' new tech, that no one wants..
I have discussed VR with a few people, some on the retail side of things, there is some real issues trying to sell this concept to the general public.
'Kids think they are not 'cool', whatever cool is..'
'Small children are scared of the headset enclosing their head.'
'Older people stating that they feel sick..'
'Units returned, due to headaches..'
The above statements came from, people on the front-line, shop workers.
The people that are actually trying to sell the concept to the general public.
If the general public reject VR, the VR market will not grow beyond what it is now.
No growth, no future.

It's a niche product for, mostly, niche games. I think PSVR is going to improve this fact by making it more mainstream and accesible (cheaper). It will grow certainly, but I m not buying into the tech yet, not until 3-4 years from now, when their displays will be 4k and they will solve their functionality issues.

This is a tech that you can't really sell to someone who doesn't want it. This is a product you want for what it is, and it is a great product for what it is.

I have tried it, and i can tell anyone that it's the future of pretty much any cockpit based simulation/game.
Flight Sim, driving Sim, Space Sim...it's all a simulation fan could have ever wished for in his life.
First generation was never gonna be sold in huge numbers.
If you want a comparable product, it's the PC. PC didn't sell very good in the first generation

'Niche product' is correct. And that is the problem.
And yes, it is a great product for sims..
PlayStation have a system, not selling too well.
Microsoft are bringing their system out very soon, maybe that will help grow the sector.
'This is a tech that you can't really sell to someone who doesn't want it.'
Love that statement.
That is exactly what the manufacturers have to do; to promote growth.
Er, that is how the selling game works..
I think it is great bit of tech, just worried about what I was told, that's all..
I will look at this thread in 5 years, I hope the guys in the shops are wrong..:geek:

'Niche product'
Timmy, unless you've tried it, don't believe the things you've heard. I understand your concerns, but creating an opinion on shop owner's feedback is kind of irrelevant. After you are able to sit in a rig and turn some laps in VR, then come back and tell us what you think. Don't knock it until you try it.

'Niche product'. Note the inverted comas..?
I did not say that, Adam did..
It's a niche product for, mostly, niche games
Thank you for understanding my concerns, very kind of you, however I have not created an opinion, I am simply stating/repeating comments made by front-line staff. Which, with all respect is not, as you state, 'kind of irrelevant'. It is very important feedback for people like me; people with money invested, I want to know what people are saying about the latest 'toy'.
You seem to of missed my point; the sector needs to grow, VR for all gamers, that would be a nice goal for the VR makers, not just VR for sim users.
I have tried it, may times; just for the record where exactly have I 'knocked' the concept of VR?
And, it is good. Not great, yet. That will come, higher res, lighter smaller headset etc.
The 'motion sickness' issue is a concern; how to rectify this, is rather complicated.
Better marketing would be a positive move; Project Cars 2 is coming soon, the marketing done with PC 1 was excellent, so perhaps a VR and Project Cars 2 joint venture, with regards to marketing will be good.
I do wish people would use their real names, I cannot believe I have been addressing someone called, FlyGasm..

As in a 'great' new tech, that no one wants..

I don't know about that. For one, it doesn't look like there needs to be extremely high volume sales on the PC side. HTC is saying that they're making a profit on every unit sold and that they're pretty happy with the rate at which they're selling. http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-sold-at-profit-sales-figures-data-units-more-than-140000/)

And two, the expensive bits that were really needed for VR headsets to work right were the OLED screens and those were developed for phones rather than VR so it's not like they need to sell millions of vr goggles to pay back r&d costs. So even if VR won't take over the world, well, I don't think it has to.

The VR experience in PCars is extremely enjoyable and so is the VR experience in AC, both SIM gain from being driven in VR. 2016 is really the birth year of gaming in VR, with projected sales of about a million unit for 2016, 2/3 are PSVR, we will see in 2017 if the progression continues, either way, as a convert from August, for me, going back to flat screen(s) driving is not an option anymore.
VR is not perfect and will improve, but what it has to offer, even in its early stage, is too good to miss.

'Niche product' is correct. And that is the problem.
And yes, it is a great product for sims..
PlayStation have a system, not selling too well.
Microsoft are bringing their system out very soon, maybe that will help grow the sector.
'This is a tech that you can't really sell to someone who doesn't want it.'
Love that statement.
That is exactly what the manufacturers have to do; to promote growth.
Er, that is how the selling game works..
I think it is great bit of tech, just worried about what I was told, that's all..
I will look at this thread in 5 years, I hope the guys in the shops are wrong..:geek:

I think you've been talking to an imposter btw.
I have the said head-bucket & can reassure you its an amazing piece of kit
kids & adults have all said it's a cool feeling being immersed. Granted most are tech demo's at moment and It's years away from being perfect (wireless) but it still has the wow factor that I'm sure the old niche colour tv's used to have :thumbsup:

Playstation by the way sold very very well & the PSVR is sold out in the UK as I'm sure you will know regardless of what the front line staff are telling you :O_o:

Timmy...I understand your point. You are skeptical about the future of VR. If that's the way you feel, that's cool and thank you for sharing your thoughts. But I think you might be sharing your concerns in the wrong forum. Sim racing and VR are a perfect match. Sure, VR is not for everybody, but the consensus in this forum and other racing forums is, VR is here to stay.

Your 'Front line shop owners' might be a little out of touch with current statistics and the growth of VR. And what shop owner, trying to sell a product, is going to tell customers that everybody is returning them? That seems pretty counterproductive to their business. :cautious:

'Kids think they are not 'cool', whatever cool is..'
'Small children are scared of the headset enclosing their head.'
'Older people stating that they feel sick..'
'Units returned, due to headaches..'

How many times have people spent too much money, returned items to a store and told a lie to get their money back? Oh, that never happens, right? Also those quotes seem pretty lame. I wouldn't use the mom and pop shop owners to gauge the progress of the VR industry. Do your own research and you can see the impact VR is making in every industry, not just gaming.

I've personally demo'd my Vive and Rift to young kids, the elderly and everything in between. And the response is usually pretty much the same, "Wow and WTF?" Once people put on an HMD, they don't want to come out of it. They want to see and do more. So I'm pretty confident and also excited that VR has a very bright future. ;)

We now return this topic back to the original question. :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back