PC1 Project CARS release delayed again

pCARS Project Cars Game 2.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios and Bandai Namco have once again delayed the release of the highly anticipated racing game, Project CARS - this time until April 2nd.

It may not be much of a delay but it comes after a previous delay which moved the release date back from late 2014 to March 2015, understandably causing some frustration and speculation on the reasons behind the delay.

SEE ALSO: Pre-Order Project Cars

SMS stated that the previous delay was done to avoid other major releases and to put on finishing touches. This time, Bandai Namco says, "The slight shift of the release date is due to final adjustments in the game that are required to provide fans with the best gaming experience they can have.

“Moving the release date was not an easy decision to make, as we know our fans are eager to get their hands-on on Project CARS”, said Ian Bell, Head of Studio at Slightly Mad Studios. “But we know that these extra days will allow us to provide the best game experience that our fans deserve. We assure you the wait will be worth it when the game does arrive early April”.

Personally, I've always been one to feel that quality is better than quantity, so for me the reasons for the delay are enough reason, though some may feel differently.

Share your thoughts with us!

For more on Project Cars make sure to check out the forum or share your latest photos and videos in our dedicated gallery.

As far as I'm concerned (of course I have the benefit of daily updates), they should have taken an extra month beyond that. It is a great and promising game, very ambitious at that. A lot of bugs remain, best to fix them all before release. Worth the wait.

I'd rather wait a month, heck I'd rather wait 6 month until the game is DONE and everything is working as intended.
I hate when a company releases a game too soon just because of deadline and then the game is unplayable.
IMHO company shouldn't set a release date, just release ones the game if finished and you're happy with it.

Delay is fine with me, they know what's best for game. Sometimes you only get one chance to impress, getting off on the wrong foot can be devastating. Look how long, and there are still doubters, it's taken to squash much of the Shift 2 negativity.

I personally don't care anymore and all the hype is more and more ridiculous.
They should rename it to "Project Screenshot".
Perhaps I will buy it on Steam when it's on sale for 2 bucks :)
In the meantime we have AC.

have we just been given a clue about AC v1.1 update release??

I don't think PCars will have any troubles competing with AC 1.1 because it will be released on consoles as well and they will rake in quite a substantial chunk of money with the console market. If they are afraid to release their game because of the pesky AC DLC then that would mean they are giving in to the pressure from the competition which isn't even there to begin with, which would give a certain impression that they don't have trust in their own game to sell well.

So, I think this is just a case of ironing out all the bugs properly before the release itself without being one of those dumb companies who release day 1 patches to fix bugs and it is a very good move on their part. And AC 1.1 is set to Q1, so it should hit the shelves at the same time as PCars anyway no matter how hard SMS try to avoid it, given that we are nearing the end of february. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Well, the closer we get to release it is always nervous times for a developer. Tried a recent build as of about one week ago, and i have to say there is a lot left to do. The handling is still not good enough for simracing (about on par with Shift 2 really) and the AI has bugs. Some track bugs. Optimization is so-so still...

And even the trademarked "looks" isn't all that fancy anymore. It really doesn't look all that good. It's pretty of course but as most customers will notice, nowhere near the doctored screenshots given out in previews. And i run this on max settings with AA + SMAA at 60+ fps, so i base that on "the best it can be"...

As for consoles (the main target for this, as i perceive it) i can imagine they have problems hitting the target 60+ fps... It will be a lot of stripping of effects to be done to reach it, as even the new consoles are weak.

So lots to fix as i see it.

But... It has potential. The handling has gotten a lot better now, and the tracks are very well modeled. The choice of cars is decent and there is an interesting promise of a good casual multiplayer component. Also, it is a lot friendlier and nicer packaged than a full on sim. Reminds me of Toca Race Driver a bit in what it seems to offer. Sort of.

It is like an upgraded version of Shift 2, but it needs more work.

On consoles this CAN become huge however, and it could rival some of the more easygoing titles on PC, so i feel it will be fun once the issues are ironed out. So i'm all for fixing them instead of releasing prematurely. Delay for as long as needed instead of releasing unfinished parts...

With some more love, this is looking like a good package, as i said. For some at least. But i also understand that if you are targeting AAA and consoles among other "games" of other genres, instead of just niche "sim" crowds, you have limits on how long you can sustain development as you need to cash in before hype dies down...

I guess this news sorts of makes sense. Had it still been a mid-March release the game would have gone gold (ready to be pressed to disc by manufacturing) any day now. It isn't quite at that state yet so a few extra weeks of polish won't hurt.

Avoiding the launch window of the AC Dream Pack also helps us AC players as well. Would have been a ridiculous few weeks had they both been released so close to each other. :p

March is traditionally a busy month for game releases of all kinds though so avoiding all that and releasing in a relatively empty April is probably a good idea for publicity. :)

Still can't believe there are so many adamant haters of the game. We're simracers, from games like AC and RFactor to PCars to the less-sim-y GRID, can't we all just appreciate the games? 'To each their own', no need to condemn it because it ain't to your perfect liking.

I haven't seen one single poster here that strikes me as an "HATER". Can you point one out?
Just some members giving their opinion. That word "haters" is so trouble making in my opinion.

The most interesting thing to me however, with pCars, will be reading a post-mortem on the mass development-idea if there ever is one posted.

I think the product is still a bit so-so, but the way they have produced it is the unique part. It's a new way for the industry as a whole, not just for racing sims, so this release and the result is for me some sort of review of the transparent investor-feedback model.

It's not that different from a regular investor-model, but it IS transparent to all involved, and that is very interesting. For me it will be exciting to see if this leads to a product more geared to what the market wants or not.

Probably because i am a software engineer and project manager myself... :)

Well, the closer we get to release it is always nervous times for a developer. Tried a recent build as of about one week ago, and i have to say there is a lot left to do. The handling is still not good enough for simracing (about on par with Shift 2 really) and the AI has bugs. Some track bugs. Optimization is so-so still...

And even the trademarked "looks" isn't all that fancy anymore. It really doesn't look all that good. It's pretty of course but as most customers will notice, nowhere near the doctored screenshots given out in previews. And i run this on max settings with AA + SMAA at 60+ fps, so i base that on "the best it can be"...

As for consoles (the main target for this, as i perceive it) i can imagine they have problems hitting the target 60+ fps... It will be a lot of stripping of effects to be done to reach it, as even the new consoles are weak.

So lots to fix as i see it.

But... It has potential. The handling has gotten a lot better now, and the tracks are very well modeled. The choice of cars is decent and there is an interesting promise of a good casual multiplayer component. Also, it is a lot friendlier and nicer packaged than a full on sim. Reminds me of Toca Race Driver a bit in what it seems to offer. Sort of.

It is like an upgraded version of Shift 2, but it needs more work.

On consoles this CAN become huge however, and it could rival some of the more easygoing titles on PC, so i feel it will be fun once the issues are ironed out. So i'm all for fixing them instead of releasing prematurely. Delay for as long as needed instead of releasing unfinished parts...

With some more love, this is looking like a good package, as i said. For some at least. But i also understand that if you are targeting AAA and consoles among other "games" of other genres, instead of just niche "sim" crowds, you have limits on how long you can sustain development as you need to cash in before hype dies down...

This is probably the best post from a PC user that looks at things from a console user's perspective re: pCARS that I have ever seen. Thank you.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 13.7%