PC1 Project CARS (pre-release thread)

Three months ago, Slightly Mad Studios’ Ian Bell shared his vision of a community-funded simulation title right here on VirtualR. What many may have dismissed as a very much utopianklar vision has gotten extremely real as the studio has been hard at work for the past few months to turn a great idea into a working project.

Named Community Assisted Race Sim, or C.A.R.S. for short, the project will allow ordinary sim racers to become investors in a racing simulation title and get a share of the profits and unmatched access to the development process and a say in the title’s direction.
For the past few months, the guys at Slightly Mad Studios have been hard at work on all fronts as Ian Bell has revealed some exclusive details on the team’s progress. The legal work on the project has just been completed and SMS is ready to launch the project’s website and accept investors within the next 2-3 weeks.

The studio will be offering investment options that will fit any budged, starting out with a 5€ option ending with gold-level commitment of 1000€ and beyond. All investors will be getting access to downloadable development builds throughout the development process, the level of investment will determine the amount of influence each member has though.

While every investor will get to vote on the direction the new title will take, gold members get to participate in board meetings where the bigger calls will be made, always considering the requests from the regular investors. Gold members will even get source-code access to the simulation while smaller investors will be given script access to play with.

Slightly Mad Studios promise a completely transparent development process as all investors get to follow every single bit of progress and every single discussion the developers will be having. The SMS team will work out in the open for all investors to see, there will be no closed-off development forum as all investors get to follow everything the development team does, “even the arguments,” as Ian Bell points out.

C.A.R.S will be used the stripped-down Shift 2 Unleashed engine as starting point, as the team will be adding new modules to it during the course of the development process, including a new DirectX 11 renderer, a new physics engine and new AI. Slightly Mad Studios expect a development cycle of at least 12 months until the finished product is ready, however all investors will be getting access to development builds throughout the process to keep everyone entertained.

Below is a first high-resolution preview, showing an immensely-detailed historical Lotus Formula One car in the garage. SMS is planning to release the first build shortly after the first investors joined, the first release will include a handful of cars and tracks to try out. The base content won’t be too advanced though as the investors will have the final say in the direction that the title will take and what content will be included.

SMS is planning to have fully-licensed content in the finished product, the team may be dealing with generic content in the development builds though while the licensing is being finalised in the background.
For years now, sim racers have been bemoaning the publishers lack of interest in sim racing and the missing influence on developing titles. It looks like Slightly Mad Studios will be changing all that with C.A.R.S.

GSUJJ.jpg

Link to VirtualR article

Slightly Mad Studios have released new two high-resolution previews of their upcoming C.A.R.S. title here on VirtualR.
The new previews show off the historical Lotus 49 Formula One car, including a shot of the car’s very detailed cockpit.
The model seen in the previews is made up of around 250.000 polygons and will run in-game in this kind of quality, thanks to DirectX 11 and the complexity of the used shaders as SMS is aiming to set a new benchmark in visual quality. Aside from pushing the limits in terms of graphics, the studio is also putting equal efforts into the input & physics department.

Their claims about polygons may be true (but I doubt it, as they will achieve this through tessellation in Direct X 11 only). They do not mention that their renders are using very processor heavy lighting and shadow effects which is what makes them look so realistic. Pushing polygons isn't so much the issue. Processing advanced ray tracing in real time is a totally different ball game.

Their claims about polygons may be true (but I doubt it, as they will achieve this through tessellation in Direct X 11 only). They do not mention that their renders are using very processor heavy lighting and shadow effects which is what makes them look so realistic. Pushing polygons isn't so much the issue. Processing advanced ray tracing in real time is a totally different ball game.
The techniques that they are using are the same as in Shift 2 (deferred rendering). Indeed the polygon count is achieved by tesselation.

Ok, so they make the graphics so amazingly high it requires a stupidly high end PC to run it, that cuts their target audience by 75%, then they say "the studio is also putting equal efforts into the input & physics department." which makes it sound as if the physics and input isn't all that important, I mean because you know, graphics creates great racing an all...

I won't be buying this one lol.

Ok, so they make the graphics so amazingly high it requires a stupidly high end PC to run it, that cuts their target audience by 75%, then they say "the studio is also putting equal efforts into the input & physics department." which makes it sound as if the physics and input isn't all that important, I mean because you know, graphics creates great racing an all...

I won't be buying this one lol.
Perhaps you should read up first before jumping to conclusions (although I know that the 44 pages in our NoGrip thread can be a bit much to catch up on :)). Ian Bell already stated that they will spend considerable effort in making it run smooth on lower-end systems. Furthermore, since the current high-end machines will be mainstream by the time the game has been finished for release (projected development time 18 months), performance should be more than adequate. Since SMS are simheads themselves, they will be aiming for 60 FPS performance as they recognize the importance of good frame rates.

I also don't follow your conclusion that apparently SMS is not putting much effort into physics and input. You quote them yourself saying they'll put equal effort in input & physics as in graphics. Since they're putting some serious graphics in the game, logically it follows that they're also serious about input & physics.

People who invest will get weekly builds of the base game and they will use all community feedback to get the basics of the game right before moving on to the additional content, meaning that they will focus on input, physics and performance until it's good according to the community.

On a final note, the base game will be free-to-play so you can try it first and then decide to buy additional content.

The potential for this game is huge. The reality we have yet to see. I can tell you from experience though, the higher the quality of the models used, ie... the more polygons used, the fewer cars that can be on track at the same time without lag issues. I am sure this is being discussed and I hope they opt for the slightly less appealing cars to allow up to a full field of NASCAR racing, though I am not real fond of NASCAR per se. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 314 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 212 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%