PC1 Project CARS Patch 11 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS VR Support HTC Vive.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios title Project CARS has reached patch 11 and brings a host of Virtual Reality features to the game.

VR is seen by many in the sim racing community as the next step up in gaming realism. With VR headsets now commonly available from a number of manufacturers Project CARS have been quick off the mark to ensure their racing title offers players a strong Virtual Reality experience.

Patch 11 brings a number of compatibility features for full HTC Vive support.

"We support SteamVR's room customization option when using the HTC Vive, so whenever you're in the game menus, you'll see the SteamVR room in the background. This allows you to customize the look of the 3D space surrounding the menus via the SteamVR Workshop. We're looking forward to seeing all the creative Project CARS themed custom backgrounds that our fans come up with. :)

We've also implemented the often-requested VR mouse support, Gaze control support, and the ability to seamlessly swap between them and use them along with Custom Controllers and Gamepads".

Having recently released the Game of the Year Edition it has been a busy few weeks for the team over at SMS. The latest patch is available to download via the Steam platform now.

Patch 11.0 Changelog:

Virtual Reality
  • HTC Vive support
  • Gaze control implemented, providing hands-free interaction with the User Interface
  • Mouse pointer control in HMD view implemented
  • Photo mode is now fully functional
  • Depth of Field effects now work correctly
  • The game will now retain controller focus when the player removes the HMD
  • Improved rendering system for Crepuscular rays and Sun flares
  • Improved rendering of dirt and rain drops on Helmet visor
  • Improved the default seat position
  • Improved the default HUD position
  • Improved default camera settings to prevent the car tilting independently from the player at steep inclines
  • Fixed a refresh issue on the UI when returning from a race to the main menu
Other
  • Nürburgring Combined - Fixed an issue where a pit stop operation would fail to initiate correctly, leaving the car stuck in the pits
  • Fixed the starting lights not working
  • Fixed an issue with the pit-in trigger potentially initiating when the player is on the main straight
  • Improved system for Opponent Labels
  • Added support for the Thrustmaster TMX ForceFeedback wheel
  • Fixed an issue with Fanatec wheels where at times it would cause dropped frames at the start of a race
  • Fixed an issue with Fanatec wheels where LEDs and pedal rumble motors failed to work after a disconnect/reconnect
Project CARS HTC Vive Teabag John YouTube Video:

RaceDepartment has a vibrant Club Racing scene for Project CARS across all three platforms, don't forget to have a look and join your fellow sim racers out on track in a number of car and circuit combinations. Why? Because racing is more fun when you test your skills against your fellow sim racers!

Have you purchased the recent Game of the Year Edition? Do you use VR with Project CARS? If so, how does your experience rate given the latest update? Let us have your opinions in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Any stats to back that up?
How many people do you know who own a VR headset?
How many people do you know that have PCs capable of rendering 2160x1200 at 90 FPS solid?
Most people i know struggle with solid 60 FPS @ 1080p.

Sure, there will be enough people around with a VR headset playing the games designed for VR headsets (which usually are way less demanding than pCars or AC) and from my experience people are willed to accept even the worst framerates, so i guess it doesn't really matter for some if they drive with 10-30 FPS as long as the "wow factor" is there.
But still, you don't just pay 600-800$ and add another 400$ on top of that for the GPU if you are not an extreme enthusiast.

I don't know anyone who owns a PC for gaming. And therefore I don't know anyone who plays sim racing games. Therefore by your rules sim racing is also a niche, so maybe game developers should just start creating first person shooters instead.

As for price, do you own a wheel? How much did that cost? What about a shifter, some custom pedals? Serious sim racers will easily spend more than the cost of a VR device on such peripherals. But they're niche too. Maybe the manufacturers should just give up making them and make laser printers instead?

VR has a much broader appeal and potential than sim racing. Be careful what you label as niche.

What I don't get, is people say 'there's no VR hatred' but people who don't have VR, don't want VR, don't care about VR, still feel the need to post in VR threads to belittle VR and state how insignificant it is in their opinion.

For me, that's not far from hatred. If you don't care about it, if it doesn't interest you, go talk about something that does.

What gets me about those who hate VR, is that if Pcars/AC/Dirt etc decided to drop support for 3 monitors (which is still very niche and can be more expensive than VR) then they would be in uproar.

I don't get where all this childish name calling is coming from? "HATE", "HATERS" Are you guys 12 yrs old or what? Childish.
Some people here have just expressed an opinion. No one has said they hate anything. And it is niche product that will hopefully become mainstream. It's no denying that.

I don't get where all this childish name calling is coming from? "HATE", "HATERS" Are you guys 12 yrs old or what? Childish.
Some people here have just expressed an opinion. No one has said they hate anything. And it is niche product that will hopefully become mainstream. It's no denying that.

I don't get the passive aggressive attitude that some show to people who talk about VR. I haven't seen any name calling in this thread, I feel your post is an exaggeration. I haven't seen anyone other than you put 'hate' or haters' in caps either.

Who are 'us guys' who you feel have been name calling in this thread? I'm fascinated. Maybe as I'm not a premium member I don't see everything that you do.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 504 39.0%