PC1 'Project CARS On Demand' & Racing Icons DLC unveiled

Dennis

RedShift Racing
cover.jpg

Just in time for Le Mans, Slightly Mad Studios has revealed the Racing Icons DLC and have published their support plans for Project Cars, dubbed "Project Cars On Demand".

The Racing Icons pack adds Bentley to the game, as well as three classic Le Mans prototypes from BMW, Mercedes and McLaren; if it tickles your fancy, the car pack is sold for 2,99€ on Steam.

Included Cars:
  • 2003 Bentley EXP Speed 8
  • 2013 Bentley Continental GT GT3
  • 1999 BMW LMR V12
  • 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK LM
  • 1997 Mclaren F1 GTR Longtail
With what seems to be the complete list of DLCs leaked on Amazon.de earlier this year, some other content that will become available includes:
  • "Audi Ruapuna Speedway"
  • "Alt gegen Neu" (Old vs New) car pack
  • "Red Bull Ignition"
  • "Aston Martin" car pack
  • "Lotus-Klassiker" (Lotus classics)
  • "Renault Sport" car pack
  • "Toyota & Mitsubishi Macau"
  • "Ford Oval Racing"
"Project Cars On Demand", meanwhile, will allow users to "pick and choose the cars & tracks they want - without being locked in to a pre-paid scheme". So, it appears the game won't have "the usual obligation of purchasing a long-term season pass". However, it's not clear yet how this will exactly work.

PCars will receive free cars, liveries and feature updates throughout 2015, along with, obviously, paid car and track packs. The SMS team has published the following infographic to sum up the raft of additional content coming to the game. What do you think of it?

pcars (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hilarious that people make a big issue out of DLC that costs the price of a couple of cups of ordinary coffee. It's fine to take a stand on principle, but when the dollar figures are so low it's pretty silly IMO. Nice cars for a nice price, I'm happy, and enjoying the heck out of the Project Cars driving experience. There's a lot to enjoy here just like in many other games.

I find it hilarious that people make a big issue out of DLC that costs the price of a couple of cups of ordinary coffee. It's fine to take a stand on principle, but when the dollar figures are so low it's pretty silly IMO. Nice cars for a nice price, I'm happy, and enjoying the heck out of the Project Cars driving experience. There's a lot to enjoy here just like in many other games.

The cost doesn't negate the point. Development that was done, or at least the majority of which was done, prior to release is being given an additional charge on top of the price for the game. A lot of people have no problem with DLC, until it eats into development time of the release of the game, which it obviously did in this case.

It starts setting an incredibly sketchy precedent when developers are allowed to profit in this way and as consumers you can only expect worse if you keep allowing it to happen without repercussions. It costing $10 or less than $1 doesn't matter, it being charged in the first place is the point.

I happen to enjoy rF2, R3E and pCARS almost equally as sims and for their force feedback. GSCE comes very close, but the ageing shows. Am I doing anything wrong? :)

Speaking of money making schemes, well... At least none of them went the iRacing way. However good it could be as a sim, that kind of greed is simply unacceptable.

Seems like people are pretty blinded to the fact that PCars isn't the only sim out there that does this; almost every major racesim has a paid-DLC model (Heck, be glad SMS are actually giving us a few free cars in their releases, and this DLC pack is so cheap compared to other sims). As to the whole 'oh but they need to fix their game first', yes that's a semi-valid point because there are some issues in the game that should be resolved; namely to do with multiplayer, however what people fail to realize is that its a month after the game's release. Be glad they've put out the patch-notes for the upcoming big patch. Multiplayer en-masse is something developers have very big issues with actually testing before release; because serverloads and matchmaking etc aren't going to be anywhere close to the strain put on by actual buyers of the game after release.
Frankly, the issues right now in PCars are similar to that which I've experienced in AC the few months before PCars released. I like them both, I'd like to see fixes in both, but at the same time I do not mind purchasing DLC for both in the meantime. People act as if polishing the few cars that they released is going to hugely mess-up SMS's bugfixing and set the patch schedule behind by weeks if not months.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%