PC1 'Project CARS On Demand' & Racing Icons DLC unveiled

Dennis

RedShift Racing
cover.jpg

Just in time for Le Mans, Slightly Mad Studios has revealed the Racing Icons DLC and have published their support plans for Project Cars, dubbed "Project Cars On Demand".

The Racing Icons pack adds Bentley to the game, as well as three classic Le Mans prototypes from BMW, Mercedes and McLaren; if it tickles your fancy, the car pack is sold for 2,99€ on Steam.

Included Cars:
  • 2003 Bentley EXP Speed 8
  • 2013 Bentley Continental GT GT3
  • 1999 BMW LMR V12
  • 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK LM
  • 1997 Mclaren F1 GTR Longtail
With what seems to be the complete list of DLCs leaked on Amazon.de earlier this year, some other content that will become available includes:
  • "Audi Ruapuna Speedway"
  • "Alt gegen Neu" (Old vs New) car pack
  • "Red Bull Ignition"
  • "Aston Martin" car pack
  • "Lotus-Klassiker" (Lotus classics)
  • "Renault Sport" car pack
  • "Toyota & Mitsubishi Macau"
  • "Ford Oval Racing"
"Project Cars On Demand", meanwhile, will allow users to "pick and choose the cars & tracks they want - without being locked in to a pre-paid scheme". So, it appears the game won't have "the usual obligation of purchasing a long-term season pass". However, it's not clear yet how this will exactly work.

PCars will receive free cars, liveries and feature updates throughout 2015, along with, obviously, paid car and track packs. The SMS team has published the following infographic to sum up the raft of additional content coming to the game. What do you think of it?

pcars (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are maybe reading too much into my post.

Just read it for what it says without any sarcastic undertones ringing around in your head.

Maybe I should have attached a smiley too to get across my non confrontational thought.

:)

If you want decent FFB out of the box drive RF2 or Stock Car Extreme. If you want to spend hours fannying about in FFB menus play PCars or R3E.

AC is is just meh.

I can't put it any more plainly than that.
Are you using a Thrustmaster wheel? If so, could you share your wheel settings with me (the ones in the wheel profiler). I have been going back and forth between GSCE and pCars. I like GSCE, I just need help setting up the wheel. Everything I keep finding is for Logitech wheels. Thanks.

Are you using a Thrustmaster wheel? If so, could you share your wheel settings with me (the ones in the wheel profiler). I have been going back and forth between GSCE and pCars. I like GSCE, I just need help setting up the wheel. Everything I keep finding is for Logitech wheels. Thanks.
Logitech unfortunately.

You can't really compare them.

Stock car is the same as all profiler setups for ISI engined games in the logitech profiler, it should be the same as them if you run rfactor or rf2 etc. That is why it is good out of the box. I have no problem learning new systems if they are somewhat intuitive but when I need to take hallucinogenic drugs to bend my mind around FFb settings something is wrong.

As my posts in the sub forum suggest I have tried.

5 new cars for $3 is a pretty damn good deal, I hope future DLC is going to be similarly priced. That being said, hopefully 1.4 pops soon too. (Also still no word on Nissans? :( )

Why not just release it for free?

I mean, we already bought a bug ridden game for top dollar...

They should wait a while, build up an 'expansion pack' then try to "sell" it...

<mod-edit: No violent, discriminatory langauge or personal attacks are tolerated in
the forum.>

In my opinion, they should be bug fixing right now, because there are A LOT of them that NEED to be addressed urgently just to enjoy the game for what it was sold on.

An analogy: It feels like I paid for a BigMac based on the picture they have advertised but I received a flat, cold, messy piece of crap that not only makes me regret purchasing it but I regret eating it... Meh, I'll eat it because I paid for it, but I still feel ripped off and rather stupid for buying into it.

The thing is, I've grown to expect this from McDonalds Corp. I did not at all expect this from a "Community made racing game"

Come on guys, sort the baseline out before asking for more money!

Get that baseline down and I'm happy to pay more, until then. Nope.

Why is everyone agreeing in here PCars needs bug fixes before content release but when one mentiones the same thing about Assetto Corsa one gets the wind blown in their face by the fanboys?
If there is ONE game that needs bug fixes it's Assetto Corsa before releasing it to the main public. But, as livery designer, it would be interesting to have the option to see more than 1 custom livery ingame at once.
I play with XBOX 360 pad so PCars is like Gran Turismo for me, enjoyable as casual gamer.
Assetto Corsa is much more interesting as livery designer then again, so I got both now. For AC, a wheel is much more appreciated.

And there, sadly is the reason why your patch is not ready yet.

Money comes before customer service and despite possibly (who knows after their PR budget) making a small fortune selling this game they now getting into the DLC as soon as they can and will now trickle it out every few months to add further to their profit stream.

It is sadly the way modern games are made, gone are the days of the real sim community and one that I was very privileged to be a part of with Rfactor. Game might have been old and ragged but my word the stuff released by the sim community was simply staggering and worth a few quid of any of us.

This is modern sim gaming, blame Iracing, blame Shift, blame GT, they all started with DLC in sims and are you relaly at all surprised that this lot are doling it out within weeks of release. You are not getting mods, you are getting wireframe!

You can see the profit ladder in the OP graphic, it will likely end up you will be able to spend 100 quid or more on cars and tracks, and that will fund the new game in 5 or 6 years when that is released.

A shame to see a company that has been so under fire despite a lot of success putting profit before customer service, in most forums I read while fans are happy to have DLC there are an awful lot of them wanting the problems fixed before this and saying they will not spend a penny on DLC before that is done.

But are we really that surprised?

And there, sadly is the reason why your patch is not ready yet.

Money comes before customer service and despite possibly (who knows after their PR budget) making a small fortune selling this game they now getting into the DLC as soon as they can and will now trickle it out every few months to add further to their profit stream.

It is sadly the way modern games are made, gone are the days of the real sim community and one that I was very privileged to be a part of with Rfactor. Game might have been old and ragged but my word the stuff released by the sim community was simply staggering and worth a few quid of any of us.

This is modern sim gaming, blame Iracing, blame Shift, blame GT, they all started with DLC in sims and are you relaly at all surprised that this lot are doling it out within weeks of release. You are not getting mods, you are getting wireframe!

You can see the profit ladder in the OP graphic, it will likely end up you will be able to spend 100 quid or more on cars and tracks, and that will fund the new game in 5 or 6 years when that is released.

A shame to see a company that has been so under fire despite a lot of success putting profit before customer service, in most forums I read while fans are happy to have DLC there are an awful lot of them wanting the problems fixed before this and saying they will not spend a penny on DLC before that is done.

But are we really that surprised?
Good post Rob, it's for this reason I knocked R3E on the head the amount of money I have spent for a game that is still not really fully complete. I am not having a go at Sector 3 as the game does fundamentally work but it is working out expensive.

As for PCars I think we can all see were their priorities lie profit first, product second. I was teetering on just deleting it from my SSD it is not a game changer, it is broken in single player at least and updates are hard to come by. Although I have already purchased it, supporting said business practice by playing it is galling and I am not sure I can continue to do that.

It's highly likely that the road map of DLC/free content was mapped out long ago and had the game's release gone more smoothly, I expect they would have put this graphic out sooner.

I understand the frustration of seeing this whilst we're currently waiting for bugs to be fixed - some of which should never have made it into the release with this much community development - but the complaints that 'there, sadly is the reason why your patch is not ready yet.' are wide of the mark. The people creating the assets for these carpacks and additional tracks will not be the same team members that are getting stuck into the code and fixing the issues that have cropped up. In fact, the meat of these DLC packs was probably finished some time ago.

So let's keep some perspective here and hope that when the patch lands it pushes this game back towards the experience we all hoped for. Until then, just be grateful the car parks appear to have decent car selections and only cost £2, rather than being the Turn10-style ripoffs of recent years. ;)

I'm simply amazed (not at this forum but elsewhere) to see the backlash at folks who say they aren't buying DLC until the game is fixed. I posted this another place and was hit with "its only $3", "its not the AI, it's your driving that's bad", "you should give the developers money so they can continue work on the AI". Just flat out no. I've already given them enough money.

It's highly likely that the road map of DLC/free content was mapped out long ago and had the game's release gone more smoothly, I expect they would have put this graphic out sooner.

I understand the frustration of seeing this whilst we're currently waiting for bugs to be fixed - some of which should never have made it into the release with this much community development - but the complaints that 'there, sadly is the reason why your patch is not ready yet.' are wide of the mark. The people creating the assets for these carpacks and additional tracks will not be the same team members that are getting stuck into the code and fixing the issues that have cropped up. In fact, the meat of these DLC packs was probably finished some time ago.

So let's keep some perspective here and hope that when the patch lands it pushes this game back towards the experience we all hoped for. Until then, just be grateful the car parks appear to have decent car selections and only cost £2, rather than being the Turn10-style ripoffs of recent years. ;)

That's a bollocks excuse for selling DLC if I've ever heard one, to be honest it sounds like you want people to spend even more money on this game than they already have.

Yes, the dev team for assests are a different dev team from the guys who adjust AI, who are a different dev team that adjusts physics etc... The issue isn't really to do with the development of the game at all, I'm sure all departments are working as hard as they can! (at least, I expect so!)

This PAID DLC has EVERYTHING to do with the marketing team and the fact that one month after releasing a bug laden game that they have the gall to try to sell us the "rest of the game for more money"

From what you're implying, this DLC was probably developed months ago!

Quite frankly, it's incredibly insulting to me, as a lifelong gamer, as a paying customer, that they are charging for it.

If they keep this up, then $3 a month for the next (minimum) two years is an extra $72 ... Convert that into whatever currency you want. In the end you're paying at very least twice the price on the original game!

Keep it real, that was my expectation from this game, a "Community Assisted Racing Simulator" or whatever they claim to be... Lay down the bug fixes as a priority, get the baseline down, (yes, it's never going to be perfect, I get that) THEN focus on DLC. Or even better, an expansion pack for an increased amount of $$... For a massive update, I'd be more than happy to fork out the cash after waiting several months, as long as the base of the game itself was solid, which unfortunately, at the moment, it isn't.

Last edited:
I'm not asking anybody to spend anything. I agree the game is not in a fit state just yet and that some of the issues that made it through with the much-quoted '80,000 developers' is an absolute joke. I've not touched the career mode yet and nor will I until the game is working properly. I'm not making apologies for SMS here.

But people making a connection between the DLC schedule and the time it takes SMS to get the patches out are over-reaching in my opinion.

DLC is optional. If you don't want to give them more money, then don't! Easy :) I grew up with games that never needed a further penny spending on them and I'll never warm to this era of aggressive DLC schedules, but it's where the game industry is these days. Let's not kid ourselves SMS are treading new ground here.

Let's not kid ourselves SMS are treading new ground here.

Nothing new with paid DLC or releasing unfinished games mate. They are following in the footsteps of EA and Ubisoft top sellers but despised by their own communities... They see a market and they prey on it. Suck it dry. Every dollar matters way too much...

This has a much deeper philosophical ramifications for me regarding creativity vs marketing... Not the appropriate forum to address those issues so I'll stop here.

But nope, I ain't buying DLC until I can at very least play career mode! (without AI overtaking me off the track and on the grass, the AI run the same speed in the full wet weather conditions on slicks) ... The career mode was the entire reason I bought this damned game...

No patch just PAID DLC... Hmmm...

A patch that fixes many issues has been released to Microsoft and Bandai for testing before being released to the public.
The "community" tested builds but didn't code anything. Many issues were reported but were not fixed in time for release.
I'm sure that this won't matter much to those that are so upset but that's the reality.

Meanwhile I'm patiently waiting for bugs to be fixed in both pCars and AC.

Last edited:
Strange that despite apparently not liking the game for whatever reason (you didn't elaborate) you thought that spending a couple of quid on some more cars was somehow gonna make it better. Surely the only way it's gonna get better is via a patch, not some DLC?

Another thread full of software development experts that think environment/car artists should be pulled from there workstations to start coding physics, multiplayer IP, etc, etc, etc.

SMS must be total fools not to......it makes perfect sense to me.

jiFfM.jpg

No one I think has mentioned the best bit, the models shipped with the game, so maybe a little tweak but we already had lol, if EA or someone like that charged for "DLC" barely a month after release with models shipped with the game there would be a riot, but hey after a NZ100 dollars, sure Ill just flick enougher 3 bux to ya's, uninstalled Im spoilt for choice for sims, feel like Ive bought a CM title end off.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%