PC3 Project CARS 3 to Change Focus?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell recently revealed PCARS 3 is in development, and now hints have been dropped that the direction of the title might change for the next release.

The Project CARS series of games have, up until this point, been heavily focussed on a wide selection or road and race cars from a wide variety of different disciplines of motorsport - giving players the opportunity to drive such varied machines as top tier open wheel cars, to stockcar, touring cars, GTs, historic and road going performance machines.

Although the scope of the previous two versions of the game are indeed admirable, some could argue that potentially Slightly Mad Studios looked to become a jack of all trades with their game content, and as a result became the master of none.

This appears to have been noted by the decision makers back at SMS, as Ian Bell once again took to the internet to drop a few hints about the next release - suggesting that maybe Slightly Mad Studios would look to return to their roots somewhat, and produce an experience more akin to the earlier Need for Speed Shift release of 2009.

“I’ll let you know that pCARS3 will be more ‘focused’… More ‘fun’…" said Bell over on the GT Plant forums. "We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We’ve learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let’s call it, ‘sub-optimal’…

“pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates… The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.”
Ian Bell does refer to the desire to retain the "sim goodness" of PCARS 1 & 2, however the shift (ha ha) towards an experience more closely aligned to the Need for Speed series does suggest that the new title could take itself a little less seriously than has been the case in the past, and leads one to wonder if a more arcade slant is to be applied to the title than has been the case in the past.

With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure, however SMS pitch the new title, it will be very interesting to hear and read what is said on the build up to release of what is surely going to be another very interesting piece of software from the prolific game studio.

Check out the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.
Well PC1 was awesome until build 512 there abouts the physics felt really nice, felt like a simulator,
after that and console dev went down hill so fast and never recovered again,
now the name of this particular franchise "Project Cars" probably damaged forever,
its just all a marketing stunt to make people believe they have changed tactics,
instead of making a 3rd game and a 4th,
why not fix the 100,s of issues and bugs from 1 and 2 ? :O_o:

I know Ian and Bram have had their differences in the past

Of that I know nothing and care nothing, the past is the past, and before my time.

but please can RaceDepartment drop the antagonism towards SMS?

Really? I don't personally agree but appreciate the comment and will take it on board. The post isn't intended to hold any antagonism at all, but is factual in the fact that PCARS 1 and 2 both claimed prior to release to become significant racing simulations, and although they do much rather well, they fell short of the other "big" sim racing games.

As I say in the article, for me maybe trying not to compete and beat the competition, but looking towards a slightly different idea with the next game isn't a bad idea at all, and could work rather well.

Of that I know nothing and care nothing, the past is the past, and before my time.
Really? I don't personally agree but appreciate the comment and will take it on board. The post isn't intended to hold any antagonism at all, but is factual in the fact that PCARS 1 and 2 both claimed prior to release to become significant racing simulations, and although they do much rather well, they fell short of the other "big" sim racing games.

As I say in the article, for me maybe trying not to compete and beat the competition, but looking towards a slightly different idea with the next game isn't a bad idea at all, and could work rather well.

I doubt I even read the same post he did. I didn't sense any antagonism whatsoever.

Ironically I dusted off Pcars 2 today having played with my new steering wheel for a week with my go to Sims.

I lasted all of 5 mins; it's shockingly terrible or I had the new wheel setup completely wrong.

With RRE, I just plugged in my wheel, loaded the default profile and away I went.

I'm gutted it's not as good as my other Sims as the content, eye candy (apart from the terrible AA) it really has a lot to offer.

So if anyone has any tips on how to setup a TS-PC, coming from a T300, please let me know.

Back on topic, I wish them well in their new venture maybe it will be third time lucky - allow modding and potentially will be on to a winner :)

tbh at this point I think the best that they can do is match the other types of racing games in campaign content, while a lot of people in this community are willing to forgive there are a lot that will not so going after the more casual crowd that wants some sort of money or points based progression is their best bet, driving aside shift did in my opinion do that side of things quite well.

As with most racing games this is a day 0 buy from me, I doubt it will become my main sim but if its anything like pcars 2 then there will be some nice cars to drive that I've never tried before so ill consider it worth the price.

I know Ian and Bram have had their differences in the past but please can RaceDepartment drop the antagonism towards SMS? The contrast with the sycophancy towards other developers is marked.
Paul can write whatever he wishes and I will never interfere with his content. Besides that I can
perfectly speak for myself, thank you.

I haven't bothered to reply to any pcars related content for more than two (?) years to avoid this kind of discussion. I'll make this a one time exception as I can really live without that kind of forum and legal drama from the past.

Happy new year :thumbsup:

"Spiritual successor to Shift" ? Does that mean "focus on a low car count of road (non-race) cars to really nail the tires and physics & less licensed tracks but more fantasy road courses" ??

Because I'd be super up for that. I always wanted a game that simulates all the little tech stuff that real cars have these days. A TCS/STM mode for drifting like many cars have now ...or different AWD modes of an Impreza, Active Yaw Control with different modes from a Lancer, Ferrari's SSC Slip Angle Control, Porsche's active rear wheel steering... Always thought it sucks that sims don't even try to simulate these systems.

However if "spiritual successor to Shift" just means wider appeal, more arcady physics that make "awesome" happen even if you're clueless... then no thanks, I'll stick to the Horizon games for that, I think.

• Would be a good call ... They might not excel on sim playing field but they can do solid content ritch simcade for sure .. for night TV fun with controller when wheel it too loud... Forza, Forza horizon style

for me maybe trying not to compete and beat the competition, but looking towards a slightly different idea with the next game isn't a bad idea at all, and could work rather well.
For me, this sentece from another pc3 article doesn't sound like they are trying not to compete and beat the competition:
Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".:O_o:

• Deleted member 379375

So they are developing Project cars 3 , Project Cars Pro and Project Cars mobile then?

I quite liked the need for speed series in their day as they were not pretending to be anything they weren't and were good fun.

I have PC1 (not installed any-more) and it's simcade rubbish and full of serious bugs.
didn't bother with PC2.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing