PC3 Project CARS 3 to Change Focus?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell recently revealed PCARS 3 is in development, and now hints have been dropped that the direction of the title might change for the next release.

The Project CARS series of games have, up until this point, been heavily focussed on a wide selection or road and race cars from a wide variety of different disciplines of motorsport - giving players the opportunity to drive such varied machines as top tier open wheel cars, to stockcar, touring cars, GTs, historic and road going performance machines.

Although the scope of the previous two versions of the game are indeed admirable, some could argue that potentially Slightly Mad Studios looked to become a jack of all trades with their game content, and as a result became the master of none.

This appears to have been noted by the decision makers back at SMS, as Ian Bell once again took to the internet to drop a few hints about the next release - suggesting that maybe Slightly Mad Studios would look to return to their roots somewhat, and produce an experience more akin to the earlier Need for Speed Shift release of 2009.

“I’ll let you know that pCARS3 will be more ‘focused’… More ‘fun’…" said Bell over on the GT Plant forums. "We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We’ve learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let’s call it, ‘sub-optimal’…

“pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates… The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.”
Ian Bell does refer to the desire to retain the "sim goodness" of PCARS 1 & 2, however the shift (ha ha) towards an experience more closely aligned to the Need for Speed series does suggest that the new title could take itself a little less seriously than has been the case in the past, and leads one to wonder if a more arcade slant is to be applied to the title than has been the case in the past.

With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure, however SMS pitch the new title, it will be very interesting to hear and read what is said on the build up to release of what is surely going to be another very interesting piece of software from the prolific game studio.

Check out the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
You couldn't be more wrong, he actually called iRacing's tire model a disaster. That's a direct quote.

Nicki is a very eccentric guy in everything he does, his YouTube channel is not meant to be a consumer's advise. You watch for the show he puts in every time and that's it. It's like expecting Jeremy Clarkson to do consumer advise car reviews in Top Gear. He chose iRacing because it offers the best package for what he needs but also does content now and then on other sims, like the AC GT1 mod, for example.
As I met his videos by searching reviews ans insights about sims, I can't be wrong. He may have said different things in other videos, it doesn't change my view. As a professional racer, he should understand responsability. Why would anyone would race clean online when a professional racer just gets fun by ruinning others race? What I understood by watching some of his reviews or attempts was "you poor & cheap fellows who can't afford iracing you're condemned to play with little toys I even don't consider to be worth being given a chance". But he may have changed and I've watched a bit of one of his iracing videos, sure it's better when he takes things seriously. That's my point, as he doesn't take everything seriously, just the things he likes, he is not a reliable source of opinion, unfortunately because he could be.

I agree on the last statement, it's not written the physics will be dumbed down in pcars3, on the contrary, I understand more homogenity will allow SMS to deliver better physics.

On the figures you mentioned, you really don't have any idea about what is included in there, unless you have a spy in the racing teams. What do you include in the R&D budget? Investments? Yearly expenses? These are 2 different accouting things. The amortization of the investments are included in the R&D if you read the accounts in some countries. For international comparisons, using IFRS norms, amortizations are not in the R&D expenses.

In general, IFRS or not, If you speak only about investments, you do not include at least a part, if not all, of the R&D department.
But if you use the expenses, you may not includes a part of these expenses transfered to the investments...
Just a few points to make yoj understand it is impossible for you to know the real R&D figures.
And you miss ine crucial point : F1 teams use simulators and update them. They do not need to invest each year in a full new simulator (and it would be impossible).
Another thing is you use cash figures, not budget. It is another thing which ignore all the previous investments and expenses.
Just don't make these analyses, they're going nowhere. Don't take that as an offense, it is just a reality everyone has to understand, or at least be aware of (accounting games are part of the business of these companies) before making simplified judgments.
Again about the simulator costs in teams, what makes you think a simulator is considered as R&D?
To be clear, an example : when a team uses a simulator to prepare a race, it needs the simulator (amortization cost), some people to analyze figures, the engineers, a driver (and the space and offices they use)... All of that is a global cost and it has nothing to with R&D. It's a usual use of the team to prepare a race which is the core business of the team. It is the same job than practice sessions but within a simulator. I'm sure the FIA and the governments have made some rules about that, but do you know them enough to be so sure about analyses on this topic? I personnally am not and most of the people in racing teams aren't either.

As I met his videos by searching reviews ans insights about sims, I can't be wrong. He may have said different things in other videos, it doesn't change my view. As a professional racer, he should understand responsability. Why would anyone would race clean online when a professional racer just gets fun by ruinning others race? What I understood by watching some of his reviews or attempts was "you poor & cheap fellows who can't afford iracing you're condemned to play with little toys I even don't consider to be worth being given a chance". But he may have changed and I've watched a bit of one of his iracing videos, sure it's better when he takes things seriously. That's my point, as he doesn't take everything seriously, just the things he likes, he is not a reliable source of opinion, unfortunately because he could be.

He doesn't consider any titles realistic....nothing more than games which I agree with.
He enjoys iracing for the laser scanned car/track/sound accuracy and online population while also saying the tire model is terrible.

I meant you were wrong specifically about the part where I quoted you.

Regarding the other comments, like I said, you shouldn't take him 100% seriously. It's your responsibility to be smart and filter through the exaggerations/jokes/bullshit and the more serious approach, like set-up info and other stuff like that. If you can't do that, it's not his fault. He has no responsibility towards anyone and people should just stop putting these guys like Nicki on a pedestal just because they are professional racing drivers. Their opinions are also skewed by their preferences and feel, not to mention the fact that most of them rarely spend time to fiddle with the details in settings. I haven't seen his PC2 videos, but I'm pretty sure Nicki didn't go and search for FFB profiles for PC2 or spend a whole lot of time trying to find the optimum FFB settings. And people should stop with this constant need for validation, if Nicki doesn't like your preferred sim it doesn't mean it's crap.

I don't like arguments so I put something out there you can laugh at me ...... lol :

Hasn't been a decent career sim since MCO
I just want a Driver sim based in the 70's
Best possible physics
4 man teams , big guns, cops vs crims

For mine this is how you might expand sims user base, by getting GTA and shooter types in
Each gang only has one wheel man so 75% don't ever have to drive if they don't wish ;)
But once they get a taste for physics....well
We have enough racing - track day sims
Time for something completely different

He doesn't consider any titles realistic....nothing more than games which I agree with.
He enjoys iracing for the laser scanned car/track/sound accuracy and online population while also saying the tire model is terrible.
Good to know that, I've watched the wrong videos (nicki's drinking may have done something...). But honestly I don't want to write bad things about a channel I haven't watched a lot (because I may have watched his worts videos). At the end it is not a reliable channel. Watch empty box for example (yes, much less funny guy I know), who reviewed pcars2 and f1 2018 fighting against his thoughts about his former bad experienxes. I think this guy just took his time to get the best of these titles (I admit getting a good ffb from pcars2 is not easy, but once it is done, you can judge the sim).

I like what nicki is doing as a racer and a simracer. I just wish he does it more professionally. His channel would be much more interesting. Or maybe he just need a real channel manager. Anyway it is not the topic, it is just the way he has shown pcars2, it's not professional and reliable

I meant you were wrong specifically about the part where I quoted you.

Regarding the other comments, like I said, you shouldn't take him 100% seriously. It's your responsibility to be smart and filter through the exaggerations/jokes/bullshit and the more serious approach, like set-up info and other stuff like that. If you can't do that, it's not his fault. He has no responsibility towards anyone and people should just stop putting these guys like Nicki on a pedestal just because they are professional racing drivers. Their opinions are also skewed by their preferences and feel, not to mention the fact that most of them rarely spend time to fiddle with the details in settings. I haven't seen his PC2 videos, but I'm pretty sure Nicki didn't go and search for FFB profiles for PC2 or spend a whole lot of time trying to find the optimum FFB settings. And people should stop with this constant need for validation, if Nicki doesn't like your preferred sim it doesn't mean it's crap.
So we agree? ;)

• Deleted member 379375

The sad thing was even though it was just a blog i.e. ONE persons opinions, it almost became a cult of hate. No wonder it attracted so many small minded morons. I for one was glad to see it go purely on the basis of the infantile comments section that was a disgrace to all humanity!

Was it just one person's opinion? I think the charge is that was one company's funded propaganda masquerading as one person's opinion

Was it just one person's opinion? I think the charge is that was one company's funded propaganda masquerading as one person's opinion

Ask him, he has posted in this thread...or at least someone with the name has posted in this thread.

That aside, I considered most of the articles to be poorly formed, poorly written and way way over cooked.

But I did read more then a few of them so the engagement was there, and his work clearly got in the ear of a few people.

• Deleted member 379375

Ask him, he has posted in this thread...or at least someone with the name has posted in this thread.

That aside, I considered most of the articles to be poorly formed, poorly written and way way over cooked.

But I did read more then a few of them so the engagement was there, and his work clearly got in the ear of a few people.

To be honest I don't really care that much, you have to be careful what you believe on the net. When considering buying a game I tend to let the hype die down and monitor various forum threads.

Is Ian Bell is running some kind of investor scam in Singapore or where ever he lives now.

Opens new twitter account.

Says 60FPS per eye.
https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1080468977019584512

Get's demolished in comments but instead of correcting his tweet, he keeps doubling down on it.

edit: Bell said take it down.

LOL....or better WTF.
Desperate Guy on the search for more money to spend for hookers on some boattours....
Maybe he can make me rich also? Maybe i should take my "once in the livetime only" chance to grab a free maddev box....nah i will just play AC with VR @90fps....lol

• Deleted member 379375

LOL....or better WTF.
Desperate Guy on the search for more money to spend for hookers on some boattours....
Maybe he can make me rich also? Maybe i should take my "once in the livetime only" chance to grab a free maddev box....nah i will just play AC with VR @90fps....lol

Clearly Microsoft and Sony rely on their games catalog. I can't imagine SMS having access to a huge varied popular source of games.
And his knowledge of the technology......

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back